PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Val-ès-Dunes

Users who are viewing this thread

It was, as always, a magnificent experience. Vikingr events are really what comes closer to a medieval battle simulation.
Standing in the shieldwall, in those long minutes before the charge, observing the cavalry chasing and killing in the distance.
The slow, disciplined, advance towards the enemy, with arrows flying all around, men falling and being substituted immediatly... and then the clash and the slaughter. Well, the actual fighting was indeed a bit short - is not easy to survive the first impact - but still...  :mrgreen:

Still, I'd like to make some critics, more gameplay than simulation related.

Civil war:

well, maybe it is not the best setting. It is pretty complicate to understand who's the enemy and who is not. With the banners on is a lot easier yet, especially when fighting in the shieldwall, you may not have a clear view of what the hell's happening. You may say, disable the banners to have a clear view, but I know I would be one on a lot more fighting with banners on - and no one wants to be the stupid nab teamkiller - simulation or not, people don't take friendly fire like something that could happen on a battlefield.
Also, during conquest, with a red and a dark orange flag, it wasn't easy to see who was conquering what. To make things complicated, when someone was conquering something, a white, neutral message appeared: Normant are conquering X, Normant are conquering Y, but are those normant my friends? Only when the flag is raised I could understand it.

Conquest:

having such a large map was cool, on one hand: run like hell because you don't know when those goddamn cav javeliners will come to ambush you. Stay on open field and you are dead, abandon your men and you are dead, etc.

On the other hand it was a frustrating experience for infantry, to be respawned miles away from the heart of battle and to spend a lot of time running to a far objective, with basically nothing to do in the meantime.
I think that in such an open field, battle works better because you have enough space to manouver. You have to wait, but it is a matter of strategy, is realistic and tension grows fast. Conquest involves frantic gameplay - conquer the flag as fast as you can - which is frustrated by an endless and slow run, run, run mechanic. So what I think is, conquest should have a more relaxed rythm or cover shorter or less flat areas. Danegeld, which involved an urban environment, was the perfect map for that.

I salute and thank all who worked to create this event and all who partecipated. A special salute goes to the fellow Fir Araigs, it was the first time I fought in a clan and it couldn't have been cooler than that.

Huh, I personally preferred the conquest to Battle, maybe because I was (for some reason) teamkilling less in Conquest  :lol:
Anyway, the event was great, just simply glorious. Thank you.

Here's Part 1 of the event from the Fyrningas point of view! Part 2 will be up tomorrow some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdy1zXZF2c&list=UUby4o_rPJzgKssJJ9i-j5WA&index=1

Good fight. Here some suggetion :
Let it be more close and tight battle in tight area (like bridge or camp entrance) this is the most fun of situation and where the whole aspect of shield wall can function.
The conquest mod was in a map too big to prevent any kind of possible strategic management.
I would rather scrap this mod in favour of battle and siege which are way more fun in the "epic scale" sense.

Also a last question, how did you get talesworld highlight. Since i'm organizing similar medieval event.

Gwyrdh said:
Here's Part 1 of the event from the Fyrningas point of view! Part 2 will be up tomorrow some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdy1zXZF2c&list=UUby4o_rPJzgKssJJ9i-j5WA&index=1
Parental advisory: explicit language.

Nice to watch it all over again to add more fuel to my nightmares. Great video!

It was bloody and glorious. Thank you all for organizing it, and of course all the participants for coming! It wouldn't be possible without so many people :grin:
I must admit I was suprised how disciplined and obedient publickers were.

Also, thank you Willie, noble foe, for giving me the opportunity to knock you down right in the very beginning of the battle xD

I find myself strongly concurring with the battle over conquest suggestion. While conquest offers us a different, more flexible mode of battle, where the objective is not only to kill our enemy, but more importantly - capture the flags, I don't find it appealing. Battle feels more grand and offers more strategic options, since you're not really forced to take any action unless the enemy does, whereas in conquest you must capture the flags, or you lose. Regrouping in conquest is also one of the least liked things I can think of. You run all the way to the flag, just to get shot, stabbed or your head chopped off and have to walk all the way back to your group, which may already die or be dying by the time you get back.

Jock said:
I find myself strongly concurring with the battle over conquest suggestion. While conquest offers us a different, more flexible mode of battle, where the objective is not only to kill our enemy, but more importantly - capture the flags, I don't find it appealing. Battle feels more grand and offers more strategic options, since you're not really forced to take any action unless the enemy does, whereas in conquest you must capture the flags, or you lose. Regrouping in conquest is also one of the least liked things I can think of. You run all the way to the flag, just to get shot, stabbed or your head chopped off and have to walk all the way back to your group, which may already die or be dying by the time you get back.

This.

And, since I'm here, Sulcoit apart, I'd like to see another battle-siege event like Efeanandel (or whatever it was called). That was really terrific. I remember the tension when I reached the enemy walls and the fear when I climbed. Some said that death without respawing was punishing, I found that a great idea.

Yeah, I would agree that Conquest doesn't usually work as well as Battle, and at any rate I think more Battle rounds would be a good idea. Perhaps we could use two or three Hardcore Siege rounds to top off the next event after the Battle rounds, instead of Conquest?

Anyway, I hope you guys have already started working on Sulcoit :grin:

Back
Top Bottom