PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Val-ès-Dunes

Users who are viewing this thread

F.F.C._fritz said:
This.

And, since I'm here, Sulcoit apart, I'd like to see another battle-siege event like Efeanandel (or whatever it was called). That was really terrific. I remember the tension when I reached the enemy walls and the fear when I climbed. Some said that death without respawing was punishing, I found that a great idea.

Éafanheall...

It was a bit of an experiment, doing a siege in battle mode, but we made sure the beleaguering men outnumbered the defending men quite a bit. I still prefer it to siege mode with respawning.

Well, since this thread seems to be getting alot more attention than the screenshot and video thread, here is some recordings of the battle as part of the "pub" group on the loyalist side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpWj665tHKk

Gwyrdh said:
Here's Part 1 of the event from the Fyrningas point of view! Part 2 will be up tomorrow some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdy1zXZF2c&list=UUby4o_rPJzgKssJJ9i-j5WA&index=1

Thanks for the share! Fun seeing it from the fyrningas side. And despise not having that much experience on horseback, you put up a good fight!

PotatoPower said:
Gwyrdh said:
Here's Part 1 of the event from the Fyrningas point of view! Part 2 will be up tomorrow some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdy1zXZF2c&list=UUby4o_rPJzgKssJJ9i-j5WA&index=1

Thanks for the share! Fun seeing it from the fyrningas side. And despise not having that much experience on horseback, you put up a good fight!

Haha thanks, I did try!

Never knew events were this much fun. Thank you all for organizing it and thanks to the players for showing up to make it so enjoyable.

I'll have to reiterate what some people have already said. The battles were glorious and awesome and I was positively surprised how well the pubs followed orders (most certainly thanks to Aklis' commanding), but the conquest was a bit lackluster.
In essence it was people running around for a few minutes to take part in a conflict the size of an ordinary battle, with the single exception of the first battle at the village with the wooden palisade.

Gwyrdh said:
PotatoPower said:
Gwyrdh said:

Haha thanks, I did try!

Indeed, it was fun to watch our opponent and what he felt during the fight, I laughed really hard when I realized that for a moment I had a magic, invisible shield :lol:

Fantastic event as a whole. Cred goes to everyone involved in making this a great experience, which then includes the near Two-hundred warriors engaged in those battles. The second map was definately something else. Didn't so much mind the large, open areas in the last portion of the conflict. Unusual yes, but still it had distinct strategical hotspots, albeit rather far from one another. This is perhaps not so much a test to the individual warrior, but foremost one toward the central chain of command that is to take care of strategical challenges, and what those challenges are, thus must they dictate when What must be done, with How many Where.

So in essence, the environmental scale was acceptale considering aforementioned, and much thanks to the amount of people present in the hike and the fight. You've got to remember: a soldiers life was and still is one with amounts of downtime so copious that you would never want to imagine. On another note... The fact that I and many others had a hard time distinguishing who was enemy and who was not, coincidentally just contributed to the experience itself, at least this was how I percieved it.

On point of this (un)fortunate glitch, I think I was accompanied by many to have misunderstood the nature of that broadly advertised patch.
As told per mouth afterward, it was in point of fact an update to the first mini-patch most of us already had. Not as we thought: a firm reminder of the first one.

Nice to see some of it again!

You delivered some serious slashes there, Leoda, even if one of them cut my face in half...  :razz:
The price for deactivating banners.^^

Gwyrdh said:
Final part!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxIt25HcHCg

Ufuff the video certainly shows that there is a lot of unused potential yet. ..
Now that I actually have the time to read the chat messages too I understand that just like you many people didn't have the update set up, or at least not correctly, which was the purpose of dozens of admin messages sent throughout the event. It shall be a lesson for me not to release compatible updates in the future.
Also it seems that the spawn points end up nastily reversed in conquest, which is not quite intended either and shall get some more attention in the next patch.

While the lack of banners certainly added to the general confusion a lot can be said about the cavalry mechanics and the mindset for playing conquest though. After playing the all-or-nothing battle it seems many took the possibility to respawn as a chance to play in more of a team deathmatch style even though in conquest, even more than in battle, getting as few casualties as possible is important.
Of course the cavalry mechanics are largely un-tested in such a setting here, but I might write a bit more about what their actual role should have looked like according to the "design concept" soon.

sooo.. do u must be on a clan if u wanna join event? or can u just join TS server and ask password and thats it?

Rule zum Rabensang said:
Nice to see some of it again!

You delivered some serious slashes there, Leoda, even if one of them cut my face in half...  :razz:
The price for deactivating banners.^^

Yes... sorry about that!

hrotha said:
Haha, the one where Leofreid terrorizes friend and foe alike.  :lol:

Great video again, Leodfrið!

Thanks! I had difficulty and had to get real close to see if they were friend or foe, and even this wasn't surefire...

Moeckerkalfie said:
Gwyrdh said:
Final part!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxIt25HcHCg

Ufuff the video certainly shows that there is a lot of unused potential yet. ..
Now that I actually have the time to read the chat messages too I understand that just like you many people didn't have the update set up, or at least not correctly, which was the purpose of dozens of admin messages sent throughout the event. It shall be a lesson for me not to release compatible updates in the future.
Also it seems that the spawn points end up nastily reversed in conquest, which is not quite intended either and shall get some more attention in the next patch.

While the lack of banners certainly added to the general confusion a lot can be said about the cavalry mechanics and the mindset for playing conquest though. After playing the all-or-nothing battle it seems many took the possibility to respawn as a chance to play in more of a team deathmatch style even though in conquest, even more than in battle, getting as few casualties as possible is important.
Of course the cavalry mechanics are largely un-tested in such a setting here, but I might write a bit more about what their actual role should have looked like according to the "design concept" soon.

Yeah this is true, I saw the ability to spawn and took the opportunity. As you may have seen, communication and teamwork broke down somewhat when it almost became a free-for-all - I couldn't find many Fyrningas so I just rode around until I did, or killed whoever I found.

Gwyrdh said:
Part 2 is up! Part 3 incoming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIFmhZsGMG4&feature=youtu.be
I can clear up the mystery of the infantryman who dismounted you. It was myself, with a looted Norman sword and at 8:42 you can see my sword ready to cleave down into you and at 8:43 it comes up on the scoreboard. That was one lucky kill for me.

rapier17 said:
Gwyrdh said:
Part 2 is up! Part 3 incoming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIFmhZsGMG4&feature=youtu.be
I can clear up the mystery of the infantryman who dismounted you. It was myself, with a looted Norman sword and at 8:42 you can see my sword ready to cleave down into you and at 8:43 it comes up on the scoreboard. That was one lucky kill for me.

That was a great kill! You confused the hell out of me haha!

Although I didn't get to take many screeshots due to my recording (which turned out questionable too, but I might link to it yet anyway), I got a few nice shots that I have uploaded:

1_hosts_loyalists.png

The loyal hosts under duke Williams command forming up

2_hosts_rebels.png

The barons men under Gui de Brionne taking formation

3_archers.png

Advance of Gui's lines

4_advance_a.png

Cavalry riding out to engage in skirmishing

5_advance_b.png

6_advance_c.png

Both sides advancing on each other

7_advance_d.png

8_charge.png

Williams men preparing to charge at Gui's shieldwall

9_clash.png

10_schiltron.png

After a fierce engagement the dukes infantry prevails and forms a schiltron to fend off Gui's remaining cavalry

Back
Top Bottom