POLL: Should players be able to disable the aging mechanic?

Should players be able to turn off aging?

• YES! I don't like it.

Votes: 79 11.5%
  • YES! The game should have options to emulate the legacy titles if the user desires.

Votes: 365 53.2%
  • NO! The game was designed this way on purpose.

Votes: 175 25.5%
  • NO! I like it.

Votes: 67 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Aging and the heir mechanic is cool. I think that basically everyone agrees that making aging an option is better, so like, I don't understand why people are still arguing with each other. Should aging be an option? majority says yes, and that's all, no need to go on a hundred word rant about how warband is better and how you like rpg and not getting pressured by time.

Imo having aging, death and an heir is a functionality which would be great/fit in a game where everything else is tailored around it. Unfortunately bannerlord is not yet tailored around it. So I think aging and death should be removed for now, and at the end of early access (in 3 years or so) when the game is basically crusader kings 2 with more detailed battles, they can be like "yes, the game is finally perfect. Time to enable the aging and death mechanics!"

People who go for "make it optional" think it's an easy switch. But many things run deeper than they think and parts of code are interconnected. Simply turning it off may not be so easy. Time passage rate may be easier to tackle.

Either way, I say leave it to mods.
There's so much broken things that needs fixing and missing content that needs making. The devs wasting time on this NON-ISSUE is a waste in every sense.

People who go for "make it optional" think it's an easy switch. But many things run deeper than they think and parts of code are interconnected. Simply turning it off may not be so easy. Time passage rate may be easier to tackle.

Either way, I say leave it to mods.
There's so much broken things that needs fixing and missing content that needs making. The devs wasting time on this NON-ISSUE is a waste in every sense.
True that is....

Aging and the heir mechanic is cool. I think that basically everyone agrees that making aging an option is better, so like, I don't understand why people are still arguing with each other. Should aging be an option? majority says yes, and that's all, no need to go on a hundred word rant about how warband is better and how you like rpg and not getting pressured by time.
Dud have you been on the forum lately?
30% of threads= People complaining they got ripped off after doing no research on the product they bought. Edit: or people complaining about a feature that is obviously not finished yet.
30% of threads= People yelling at each other over an optional feature that they will eventually have an option to turn off either by a mod or closer to full release(<- thats this thread)
30% of threads= People asking questions that could be answered in under a minute if they bothered to look up the question.
9% of threads=People complaining about the combat and people complaining about the people complaining about the combat.
1% of threads= actually respectful discussions with people giving constructive criticism in order to hopefully end up with a better game by the full release.

30% of threads= People yelling at each other over an optional feature that they will eventually have an option to turn off either by a mod or closer to full release(<- thats this thread)

The point is it shouldn't have to be done by mods. It's clear a lot of people want the option to play this like the previous Mount & Blade games. Considering that someone has found an option to disable aging already exists in the code and files, TrashMan's nonsensical post has no weight. It IS an issue for plenty of people.

If y'all want Crusader Kings so badly, Crusader Kings 3 should be out soon. Those who want Mount & Blade should get Mount & Blade.

That option is called "Enable Death" which is already in the game and it has nothing to do with aging for christ sake, tested it.
Calm down son, I just said that the developers confirmed they are doing it. Not that it’s already in the game. That’s why I’m saying there’s no point in us debating something that’s already planned. Even if you’re a wrinkly old prune and immortal, we have big helmets so nobody can tell!
I was being helpful in posting the link to the dev comment. I don’t see why there’s hostility, cmon I’ll give you some grain and beer ?

Calm down son, I just said that the developers confirmed they are doing it. Not that it’s already in the game. That’s why I’m saying there’s no point in us debating something that’s already planned. Even if you’re a wrinkly old prune and immortal, we have big helmets so nobody can tell!
I was being helpful in posting the link to the dev comment. I don’t see why there’s hostility, cmon I’ll give you some grain and beer ?
Huh. Got a source on that? It would be greatly appreciated.

Have any of us actually gotten far enough into the game, given the snowballing (lol), for this to even be speculated and/or complained about at this point?

Huh. Got a source on that? It would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried asking the devs? They reply a lot on the twitters.
I would like to know as well. And hope that they don't remove this mechanic completely as they have worked hard on it. And it was needed in M&B WB when the campaign was all set and done.
Just simply make it an option. So we have 2 types of playthroughs even.

Currently not working on EA. i think they are making a POLL for the release state of the game.
Head to nexus and download Bannerlord tweaks, snowballing is stopped with that. It allows garrisons to produce veteran units and ups the rate they repair and generate food whilst also increasing garrison numbers, amongst other things. Makes it harder to take and easier to hold for the ai and the player.

Head to nexus and download Bannerlord tweaks, snowballing is stopped with that. It allows garrisons to produce veteran units and ups the rate they repair and generate food whilst also increasing garrison numbers, amongst other things. Makes it harder to take and easier to hold for the ai and the player.
No i mean i got to the late game, People don't seem to die of old age yet. Well NPC's don't. CBA to wait for my character to reach 100. He's at 54 rn

Edit: Oldest character in that save

Edit 2: And your kids grow if you were wondering. As seen in this screenshot named Eric, If you are willing to wait that long Date was Summer 10,1106

If y'all want Crusader Kings so badly, Crusader Kings 3 should be out soon. Those who want Mount & Blade should get Mount & Blade.

It's not about wanting this to be "CK2/CK3" dude, jesus. It's about the fact that this adds to the overall idea of what the game itself is about... a sandbox environment in a feudal era for you to go wild in and live your fantasy out in. If you want to be a roving band of warlords who doesn't give a crap about fiefs and inheritence, good for you. You don't need to partake in the aging and generational gameplay and you can live out your characters life doing what he did best.

However if you want a long-term playthrough then you can get involved with generational gameplay and have kids, hold fiefs, maybe start a Kingdom or two... or even continue being a warlord, have a kid, raise him to be your heir and warlord in waiting and then pass on the mantle! That in itself adds so much more to the game itself instead of min/maxing your only character and becoming an immortal god in a world that ends up stale and dead after X amt of hours.

An option would be great to have but as I've mentioned to you and several others, this feature itself seems to be ingrained into the core loop of Bannerlord, you'd be asking the team to take extra time out to change the fundamentals of the new title.

No i mean i got to the late game, People don't seem to die of old age yet. Well NPC's don't. CBA to wait for my character to reach 100. He's at 54 rn

Edit: Oldest character in that save

Edit 2: And your kids grow if you were wondering. As seen in this screenshot named Eric, If you are willing to wait that long Date was Summer 10,1106

And all the ladies say he’s pretty spry for an old guy (queue guitar music)

It's not about wanting this to be "CK2/CK3" dude, jesus. It's about the fact that this adds to the overall idea of what the game itself is about... a sandbox environment in a feudal era for you to go wild in and live your fantasy out in. If you want to be a roving band of warlords who doesn't give a crap about fiefs and inheritence, good for you. You don't need to partake in the aging and generational gameplay and you can live out your characters life doing what he did best.

However if you want a long-term playthrough then you can get involved with generational gameplay and have kids, hold fiefs, maybe start a Kingdom or two... or even continue being a warlord, have a kid, raise him to be your heir and warlord in waiting and then pass on the mantle! That in itself adds so much more to the game itself instead of min/maxing your only character and becoming an immortal god in a world that ends up stale and dead after X amt of hours.

An option would be great to have but as I've mentioned to you and several others, this feature itself seems to be ingrained into the core loop of Bannerlord, you'd be asking the team to take extra time out to change the fundamentals of the new title.
Yeah, the sandbox fantasy of the previous titles didn't have this restriction.

Considering that cracked files have shown that aging can be toggled on/off under the hood, it's not the coding nightmare that those who oppose the option insists it is. Plenty of things can already be done to significantly alter the balance of the game as is. Battle death on/off, difficulty settings, etc..

Giving people the option to play this like the previous Mount & Blade titles should be a core part of the experience. It IS supposed to be a part of the same series, after all. Plenty of people here who like the aging often cite and reference Crusader Kings as an example of why it's great/why they want it. You can deny that if you want, but look through the posts and you'll see people talking about wanting it to be like CK.

As of right now, the implementation of the aging/heir/procedural generation system isn't even working in context of the gameplay loop. The recent snowballing problems render it pointless. Once aging death is functional, we're only getting the baggage of it.

If I want to take my time and level smithing, do the side quests, build relationships and rivalries, I shouldn't have to put aside my time to invest in a feature I have no interest in because they've decided to implement restrictions that results in a finite amount of time in-game for my character. I don't give a **** about your immersion or kids. Play house if you want. Let me avoid all of that.

Yeah, the sandbox fantasy of the previous titles didn't have this restriction.

Considering that cracked files have shown that aging can be toggled on/off under the hood, it's not the coding nightmare that those who oppose the option insists it is. Plenty of things can already be done to significantly alter the balance of the game as is. Battle death on/off, difficulty settings, etc..

Giving people the option to play this like the previous Mount & Blade titles should be a core part of the experience. It IS supposed to be a part of the same series, after all. Plenty of people here who like the aging often cite and reference Crusader Kings as an example of why it's great/why they want it. You can deny that if you want, but look through the posts and you'll see people talking about wanting it to be like CK.

As of right now, the implementation of the aging/heir/procedural generation system isn't even working in context of the gameplay loop. The recent snowballing problems render it pointless. Once aging death is functional, we're only getting the baggage of it.

If I want to take my time and level smithing, do the side quests, build relationships and rivalries, I shouldn't have to put aside my time to invest in a feature I have no interest in because they've decided to implement restrictions that results in a finite amount of time in-game for my character. I don't give a **** about your immersion or kids. Play house if you want. Let me avoid all of that.

I for one Like the aging system and death system. Not because of CK. But because of medieval movies and also vikings. You die your sons sail for revenge. Good concept for a playthrough imo. but i am not opposed to having an option to disable these mechanics mind you.

Back
Top Bottom