POLL: Should players be able to disable the aging mechanic?

Should players be able to turn off aging?

• YES! I don't like it.

Votes: 79 11.5%
  • YES! The game should have options to emulate the legacy titles if the user desires.

Votes: 365 53.2%
  • NO! The game was designed this way on purpose.

Votes: 175 25.5%
  • NO! I like it.

Votes: 67 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Will you just shut the **** up? You're the one who doesn't make any sense.

I don't make sense because I say that it is not like demonic possession? What did I say that doesn't make sense? I agreed with the original poster that it should be an option. The only thing I said was it was silly to call it like Demonic Possession. I don't think that is a valid reason to hate the feature, but I can understand other more logical reasons to hate it. Or are you just the same person using a different account? I mean this is literally your first message and your account was created yesterday, and the other account was also recently created and has 8 messages. Hmm

Last edited:
This is the first time I've heard about this "mechanic" and it has left me with a very sour feeling. I have no interest in playing The Sims With Swords. But now I hear that I have to play this minigame or else one day my character will randomly keel over and that's it, game over. Does it at least spawn a bastard son or long-lost cousin to take over if you have no heir? I could live with losing some stats (if utterly necessary) if I can keep all the other stuff I've spent so long working on.

They wouldn't be going back on it in any way.

They'd be thinking 'oh, some of our playerbase (or most on this forum in this case, judging by this poll) don't want this, so lets not spend too much time making it cool, we can't erase it, but we'll just leave it at minimum detail instead. I'm not saying you are wrong in wanting something different, but i'm going to fight for what i want just as hard. My answer is no way, but it looks like there are many people who agree with you, they must have very little imagination, and all they want is brain-dead hack'n'slash.

I know this is not a replacement for the option to have aging or not, but the developer's console mod has a code for changing your age, so you can just keep changing your age for now anyway.

They'd be thinking 'oh, some of our playerbase (or most on this forum in this case, judging by this poll) don't want this, so lets not spend too much time making it cool, we can't erase it, but we'll just leave it at minimum detail instead. I'm not saying you are wrong in wanting something different, but i'm going to fight for what i want just as hard. My answer is no way, but it looks like there are many people who agree with you, they must have very little imagination, and all they want is brain-dead hack'n'slash.
You want The Sims. I don't want the mundane aspect of creating a family, dying of old age, and having to re-level a character I've already put many hours in to.

The tactics, techniques, and map strategy are still in play. Nothing 'brain-dead' about that.

The only imagination I see from you is believing that by somehow giving players more options, somehow you're going to lose a mechanic that is already built in to the game.

I think making a year last 80 days is pretty brain-dead, myself. That means 10 day trip takes 1/8 of a YEAR! It means that for every day that passes, 4.5 days have passed.

Why not actually have some interesting dynastic gameplay...? All the people in favor of this idea don't seem to be suggesting anything interesting be done with it. Probably because they know TW is not going to having anything remotely comparable to a 4X game, and this is going to end up a very forced and tacked on feature.

One way they could try and do this, fairly simply, is make combat a lot more rewarding in terms of cash, but have a lot more risk in terms of getting debilitating wounds that cripple you for life, for example. After you get a few of those, you'll decide to take your money and retire, which inevitably leads to you being succeeded by your son or younger cousin or whatever, with most of your stats and without the wounds.

...Come to think of it, what happens to the story quest, if we take too long about it? Will the kidnapped children be elderly pensioners by the time you reach them?

One way they could try and do this, fairly simply, is make combat a lot more rewarding in terms of cash, but have a lot more risk in terms of getting debilitating wounds that cripple you for life, for example. After you get a few of those, you'll decide to take your money and retire, which inevitably leads to you being succeeded by your son or younger cousin or whatever, with most of your stats and without the wounds.
Sounds like Battle Brothers !

If one year takes 80 days, and the character starts at 30 years old, it would take 2400 days to get to 60 years old. Most people don't even play one character that long. You could probably easily play through most of the game without dying of old age.

And adding a non-aging option would completely mess with the current system. Like some one else said, what happens when a lord dies and their kids stays 13 years old forever? It's not the same as adding auto-block which doesn't affect the other mechanics.

If you're worried about aging, it would be much better to have an option to choose starting age with a minimum of like 20. That way it would still take 1600 days to get to just 40 years old, and another 1600 to get to 60, which would give you 3200 days before you even have to worry about dying of old age. And you could even change how skilled your character is depending on how old they are.

I don't see why procedural generation of companions would be an issue since it's just their looks. Their stats seem more or less fixed based on their title.

I said it’s like being a demon, ghost the f- you want to call it and not that the player is. Its nonsense to you because you aint able to read it, call yourself stuped. And for the fact, it IS like being a demon or whatever you want to call it, nothing realistic about that - itd be, if youd watch them but not play them but thats just off the point and its just my humble opinion, you can have a different view on that but that doesnt matter.
The campaign explains this
the banner was clearly cursed by the late emperor upon his death and has possessed your clan. maybe that's really why it was broken up and scattered

I think making a year last 80 days is pretty brain-dead, myself. That means 10 day trip takes 1/8 of a YEAR! It means that for every day that passes, 4.5 days have passed.

Why not actually have some interesting dynastic gameplay...? All the people in favor of this idea don't seem to be suggesting anything interesting be done with it. Probably because they know TW is not going to having anything remotely comparable to a 4X game, and this is going to end up a very forced and tacked on feature.

...Come to think of it, what happens to the story quest, if we take too long about it? Will the kidnapped children be elderly pensioners by the time you reach them?
How long do you think it would take to cross a continent on foot as a percentage of a year? The time at 80 days per year seems pretty well dialed in to me. Do you age at 1 year per game year or is that sped up?

If one year takes 80 days, and the character starts at 30 years old, it would take 2400 days to get to 60 years old. Most people don't even play one character that long. You could probably easily play through most of the game without dying of old age.

And adding a non-aging option would completely mess with the current system. Like some one else said, what happens when a lord dies and their kids stays 13 years old forever? It's not the same as adding auto-block which doesn't affect the other mechanics.

If you're worried about aging, it would be much better to have an option to choose starting age with a minimum of like 20. That way it would still take 1600 days to get to just 40 years old, and another 1600 to get to 60, which would give you 3200 days before you even have to worry about dying of old age. And you could even change how skilled your character is depending on how old they are.
Do we even know what life expectancy is?

Adding the ability to turn off aging won't affect any body who wants to play as is. Why do you care if it messes with someone else's experience if that would be the way they prefer to play?

Let me guess, you voted for absolute NO! instead of making compromise. Your preferences alone doesn't matter if there are others with different points of view, thats just selfish. A word compromise rings a bell? Thats why it should be optional.

Btw it isn't interesting to see your character age over 10 years in one single day.

If I spent so much time planning something around a feature, I wouldn’t want to change things just because people are unhappy about it when it’s released.

Do we even know what life expectancy is?

Probably that of a normal human. I imagine around 60 there's a small chance it might happen and by the time you're 80 it's probably much higher. In any case, i doubt it's lower than 60.

Adding the ability to turn off aging won't affect any body who wants to play as is. Why do you care if it messes with someone else's experience if that would be the way they prefer to play?

I'm just saying it either will have consequences that you don't expect and might ruin your game, or it will be a lot more work for taleworlds than you think and it will be less time they spend working on other stuff.

And like I said, you can get pretty much the same effect much easier and with no consequences by just allowing characters to start at a younger age.

If I spent so much time planning something around a feature, I wouldn’t want to change things just because people are unhappy about it when it’s released.
They also included death for characters and lords...and guess what? They let players turn that off! Giving players options, especially in a sandbox game, is a good thing. Let people play this game like every previous Mount & Blade if they want.

How did you do this?

If you get the dev console mod, there is a command to change your age in there. Download the dev console mod first, it is easy to install and use.

You can also give yourself some more ability points and focus points to help better customize your character for what you want. I also used the command which enables some more features for designing my character (like age and weight)

Back
Top Bottom