[Poll] Attack/Shooting while crouching available in Bannerlord

Do you want to have the option to attack/shot while crouching available in Bannerlord?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I fully agree with Namakan's and Lagstro's posts on this issue. I, mainly as a casual player and (unfortunately) a comp player in BL, I see this as a unnecessary gimmick, that will evolve as a necessity feature that will require to be used in inf fights. It's not a skill move, but just a gimmick. That's why I would rather see actual purpose for it in game, before making it universal feature.

Since that's a specific question you asked, what I would say is that as a standalone mechanic, it sounds like it should be fine at a glance, but taking into consideration Bannerlord's current shielding animations and their limited movement range (thus limited shield coverage), there's a potential problem I can see with this being implemented for high level play, and that is that being able to shoot from a lower height would provide archers with an easier angle to shoot at feet from, especially at closer distances.

I can imagine it being like a reverse problem of archers/xbows/weapon throwers jumping over shield users in warband at close range, and shooting them in the head because shields couldn't be moved high enough to block shots or throws like that. I think this could cause a similar situation, except that instead of it being an unblockable shot from above, it would be an unblockable shot from below.

It's been months since I last played Bannerlord, and I can't remember if you could reach the ground and cover your toes with the smaller shields in the game while crouching, but even if you could, requiring infantry to be constantly crouching down to block foot shots, or especially trying to do so while in the middle of fighting other infantry would probably look and feel just as bad, potentially even worse, than not being able to shoot while being crouched.

Some actual current comp players should chime in on the practicality of something like this in the current state of the game, because things may have changed already since the last time I played, or I may be misremembering how the game worked.

In essence, my position is that being able to shoot from a crouched position would be visually appealing, and would feel intuitive, but given how other aspects of the game are designed (in this case shielding), allowing it could be problematic for gameplay.

I think if shield users were given a higher degree of shield movement range while in a non-crouched position, being able to shoot while crouched would be completely fine, and there would be no good reason for it not to be in the game if Bannerlord already introduced crouching into the game. I do think that not being able to shoot while crouched inevitably leaves a sour taste in every new player's mouth who has tried to do it, as it feels unintuitive and restrictive to be unable to do so. It's definitely a part of a conglomeration of game mechanics that TW (or modders) should look into fixing up all at once so that all the game mechanics can mesh well together.

Thank you for the explanation.

Maybe with more shield coverage on certain shields would be a good starting point. I honestly have always advocated for this kind of equity in shield maneuverability + range arc tweaks on horseback to be able to hit low enough
which added to those "force field" tweaks buffs (I remember OGL between others advocating too) + removing any effects of stances leaving them purely aesthetic would be a point where I would start.

As for the shooting, maybe we can think about ok, the player has a lower stance so can take more cover... so let's apply a small penalty on the time of draw when crouching. The same thing with the weapon strikes while crouching; biomechanically you have less muscular power exerted by the legs in that position, so the same thing, so that the weapon strike produce less damage.

I see it as a question of balance, beyond black or white; there is a range of greys that would be interesting to explore.

Thanks for the comment though, much appreciated; also yours @Namakan & @Kripaz .

As the Sword & Musket project, we have needs in this regard! @Terco_Viejo @HyperCharge

We really want light infantry and rifle infantry units to lean and fire, and this is imperative. I even see it as a necessity in Bannerlord Vanilia because it is necessary, it can strategically make the player feel like a hunter in bowing and shooting other than walking while leaning.

Add us to this list, we need to announce this request as much as possible. I think Taleworlds will listen to us on this.

@Dejan @badbuckle Please take this matter seriously.

As the Sword & Musket project, we have needs in this regard! @Terco_Viejo @HyperCharge

We really want light infantry and rifle infantry units to lean and fire, and this is imperative. I even see it as a necessity in Bannerlord Vanilia because it is necessary, it can strategically make the player feel like a hunter in bowing and shooting other than walking while leaning.

Add us to this list, we need to announce this request as much as possible. I think Taleworlds will listen to us on this.

The ability to pull attacks and shoot is important for both native and mod in my opinion. Actually the ability to crouch is pratically useless.

For S&M it would be a very important thing for skirmish fire, as it would also be useful for other mods in development. We can only hope that TW listens to our requests.

Being able to shoot while being crouched is such an important feature, both in Native and in a Napoleonic Wars successor. In a siege scenario or behind some cover, shooting with a crossbow/musket while crouched is most practical

For linebattles it would be essential for roleplaying line regiments to be able to fire two columns volleys, or even with light regiments for skirmishing

I hope for this feature to be implemented into the final game ! 🙏

It's just physically necessary for shooting in 2 lines.
For some mods (and all with firearms) it's fundamental need. As example for sieges, deathmatches, jaegers and light inf gameplay, events etc.

41.jpg

An absolutely necessary thing that must be implemented. Being a fan of NW, I can say that this is extremely needed for S&M, and it can't be realised without adding to Native Bannerlord, at least in the form of a germ for modders.

I'm surprised there are this many people who are against it. It was an important feature in NW.

I suppose they should make it a weapon trait. Some crossbows are heavy enough to require standing to reload, and you obviously can't shoot a longbow while crouching, while it is possible to do so with lighter weight bows.

I'm surprised there are this many people who are against it. It was an important feature in NW.

I suppose they should make it a weapon trait. Some crossbows are heavy enough to require standing to reload, and you obviously can't shoot a longbow while crouching, while it is possible to do so with lighter weight bows.
Mostly because there are very few weapons this would make sense with. You are right you can fire a crossbow crouched but the majority require a standing position to reload. Very few bows can be fired from a crouching position properly.

Also anyone who has played mordhau will be familiar with the absolute trainwreck highlevel combat looks like in that - part of that is due to the crouching mechanics. Any melee crouching in M&B is doubtless to generate some weird combat-tech.

I certainly wouldn't hate it being added - and it's relevant for NW; but overall there is probably more important mechanics.

Mostly because there are very few weapons this would make sense with. You are right you can fire a crossbow crouched but the majority require a standing position to reload. Very few bows can be fired from a crouching position properly.

Also anyone who has played mordhau will be familiar with the absolute trainwreck highlevel combat looks like in that - part of that is due to the crouching mechanics. Any melee crouching in M&B is doubtless to generate some weird combat-tech.

I certainly wouldn't hate it being added - and it's relevant for NW; but overall there is probably more important mechanics.

I partly agree with what you said, this was for those who would generally do a complete total overhaul modding anyway.

Having reduced damage while being able to attack when crouched would give a lot of flexibility on group formations during battle events (front line crouched and stabbing with shield while line behind is spearing over their head). “Gimmicks” like this make the game have more depth in my opinion and should def be added. Though it would def buff archery

Having it as an option for modders should be a primary concern (taleworlds-wise) for having greater flexibility when modding. Having it in native or having it in banner lord are two different polls in my opinion. Obviously my vote is towards it being available as an option. Each module will make good use of this option as needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom