Polearms madness

Users who are viewing this thread

People talk about the war spear. The free spear is faster, although it has lesser reach, it ables you to spam it and most of the times you're not able to use the war spear's reach to full effectiveness.

the spear is deadly in melee with a shield.

Look, it all comes from the so-called 'warrior mentality'. Peasants and the like are cowards. Poorly trained cowards. And so what weapons would they use? Why, naturally, ones that are simple and easy to use while allowing one to kill their opponent with minimum risk for themselves. What weapon fits that description perfectly? The polearm, especially when combined with a big shield. While a warrior would use a weapon that is harder to use(e.g. something powerful, but rather unwieldy, like a big axe or sword). And when there's a bunch of wusses skewering a warrior to death without even coming close enough... well, warriors get pissed. And in the case of gaming, they start calling things nooby. Despite being good at sidestepping(and killing :twisted:) charging horses, I still call them nooby, especially when combined with a polearm and shield(I seriously ask myself how could medieval knights actually consider themselves brave, when they employed all the weapons of the rabble, and something even more cowardly on top :lol:).

Well then it sounds like you might have some personal issues that you need to sort out then.  Polearms are fine, with the exception of the Vaegir spammy one.

Ludial said:
polearms are total and complete bull****. why don't you try using some real weapons?

Tell me about it, its the only weapon in game that takes little skill to use.
I mean hell, to be an archer, you need to be able to aim, judge your opponents movements (Goodluck not easy, I got a hit today from about 200m's The dude was tiny..) But then again he was facing the wrong way running left i just poked a finger to the left and fired and he ran into the arrow.

To be an infantry you need to know how to dodge incoming attacks, how to counter attack, how to get that quick slice on a enemy Cavalry as hes running past going for your Archers.

Then you get cavalry, A.k.a Tanks, who run in the middle, with a couched launce, and say, Wow what skill, i ran into a person with a spear... wow that was so hard!

Sorry, but i do frown apon that... Wish there was a way to implement more skillness for it, but there aint, ill just have to get used to the idea of people being so happy and proud of doing such a simple thing.

To stay on topic heres my story.

I dodged a TANK and then got killed in the back by some footmens spear.
Fail, but then again what the F... can an Crossbowmen do to a Shielded Spearmen and 3 other Infantry men with him ? Shoot him in the legs, hoping he doesnt jump over your arrow... suuuure!

Cheers.

Try pointing a pointy stick in an enemy player from horseback yourself, you'll see it's not as easy as you describe.

DuckSauce said:
Try pointing a pointy stick in an enemy player from horseback yourself, you'll see it's not as easy as you describe.

I tried it, easy... till you do stupid **** like try and take on a spear footmen. Good bye Horse.
Btw I love the fact the horse can cleanly jump over 3 soldiers.... They need to fix that, a Horse cannot jump that high and that far, I own 12 horses. And I would hope i know what im talking about...

Then you get cavalry, A.k.a Tanks, who run in the middle, with a couched launce, and say, Wow what skill, i ran into a person with a spear... wow that was so hard!

They're pretty stupid if they're running into the middle.  They're going to rear and get their horse slaughtered and, in turn, themselves.  And couching, rarely see couching.  Though it's more prevalent with the last patch, it's still rather impractical. 

Lancing does take a bit of skill, and I'd argue that couching takes more skill at the moment since it's hard to aim in anything but first person and when you're in first person, you can't see **** of what's going on around you.

Being infantry, however, and just wailing on people.  That's pretty noob.  No finesse, no challenge, just gotta wait til the other person provides an opening and attack.

Btw I love the fact the horse can cleanly jump over 3 soldiers.... They need to fix that, a Horse cannot jump that high and that far, I own 12 horses. And I would hope i know what im talking about...

A horse can easily jump a person.  YOUR horses might not be able to, but there are horses that can.  And the length may be unrealistic, but getting up after a horse lands on you is unrealistic as well.

I said 3 Soldiers, not 1.

And I wouldnt expect a Knight to understand the way Infantry fight, Nor should you expect me to understand how you horsemen fight. I'm an archer, i play that way. And have first hand witnessed a lot of deaths from couched lance, they arnt pulling there spears back, because they just charge straight into me while im distracted on an enemy.

But then again, that was today, Last night was total different story, Played with alot of players who like there tactics, and prefer to fight in a more realistic and skillfull way.

Too bad, will try again tonight, see who i find.

Actually as a knight I spend a lot of time on the ground as well since horses die so easily, so I get to play both worlds. 

And I was talking about the height of the jump (the easily jump a person) and then went on to discuss the length (it being unrealistic to jump 3 people, but giving another unrealistic item). 

One thing I can't get outta my head is why you can't use shield with awlpike but with pike you can.....the pike is way longer and thus according to my logic should weigh more. I doubt one man could really use effectively 5-6 meters long spear with just one hand, eh?

My bad, can't expect an Italian to understand English perfectly :wink:.

Alright, Mr Knight/Footmen cos he kills his horse, Horse Murderer!
But be true, In your games, do you see every knight pulling his Lance back ? Or is it just me who manages to join servers finding those few knights just going around poking the hell out of you while running around ? I enjoy the idea of pulling it back, but couch lance just kills you one shot, with no way of blocking it, only hope is you dodge it, if you have time.

I think its over kill, realistic, but over kill... no way in hell can you dodge it and be close enough to kill the rider in one shot, since your sword would only do half the damage, so its nice to know they can kill us one shot, and we can't just giving them a second chance to skewer my head on his lance.

You can easily jump out of the way of the lancer.  The couch has to be in an exact position to even hit and they're fixed along that one path, so move the hell out of the way!  And while you're jumping, slice at the cavalry person.  This happens all the time.  People stand there, get skewered, then complain, when there's a lot they could have done to prevent it.  I know, because it happens all the time.  You kill some people who obviously have no clue, then go up against people who know what they're doing and it's a lot harder to kill them.  It's a problem with player skill differences, not a game mechanic issue. 

But be true, In your games, do you see every knight pulling his Lance back ?

Honestly no.  I see it every now and then, and it can be a rather good tactic in certain situations, but lancing is far more practical than couching. 

I enjoy the idea of pulling it back, but couch lance just kills you one shot, with no way of blocking it,

You can block it with a shield.  It shatters the shield though.

Better solution is just to move.  The couch can't hit you but in a very small hit box area and it is quite easy to dodge.  If nothing else, jump in the way of the horse.  They can't couch you because you'll be in front of them and the most you'll suffer is a bit of charge damage while the rider rears.  Then you can get up and slash at the horse and if there's any teammates nearby (and there should be if you're staying in a group) they can be hacking at it too.

Fair enough, Cheers for being a good sport, and replying with respect.

No offence, but when i catch you on your horse, I will kill it... And You, 'kay ? You can have a beer with me in Praven later on :wink:.

No offence, but when i catch you on your horse, I will kill it... And You, 'kay ? You can have a beer with me in Praven later on :wink:.

Aight, just don't scratch the paint job. 

Back
Top Bottom