Persistent World 4.5.1 - download and general discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Version 4 alpha4 released.
Vornne said:
Download PW_4_alpha4
Download PW_4_alpha4 patch
-- 4 alpha4:
Add faction chat; this takes over the default "inventory" key from local chat.
Local chat is swapped to the default "quest window" key, for easier access (if you don't like it you can change it).
Lords can hold right shift when pressing enter to send faction announcements that are shown in the middle of the screen.
Iron mines respawn after 4 hours; mines now give iron ore, which is processed into iron bars.
New resource types iron piece and short wood pole added; resource prices rebalanced, processing times reduced.
Change crafting recipies for the new resource types; reduce iron needed to craft one handed swords.
Refund crafter the cost of the resources, with a small reward on top of that.
Only buy from item stockpiles when not wielding anything; this is so canceling crafting doesn't buy the weapon.
Tree hit points reduced.
Add sailor troop and sailing skill, which limits the top speed you can set at the ship mast (all classes can set speed 1).
Ships move sideways less when turning, to try make it look more realistic.
Fix ship speeds mistake (little longboat was slowest, big ship fastest).
Agents drown slightly slower.
Attempted fix for horses drowning when on a scene prop over water.
Hide agent labels for invisible admins.
Allow rotating doors to be marked by the scene maker as bolted, so they can be opened by anyone from one side.
Make dungeon cell doors indestructable.
Add 2 to outlaw rating for all kills as an outlaw, up to a maximum of 30 (team kills add 5).
Increase money chest hit points.
Set castle tax to 20% (was 10%), so no money is "lost" with the 80% sell price.
Send 50% of training costs to the castle money chest.
Allow export stations be set to give taxes to a faction.
Increase doctor healing limit to 75% of full health.
Give doctors 1 power strike.
Slow down the rate of health loss when poisoned.
Increase percentage of armor value in loot gold from 20% - 50% to 50% - 70%.
Apply combat gold multiplier server setting to gold loot amounts.
Remove gold loss on rejoin to the server entirely (as it is basically replaced by looting).
Increase the cost of polls to change faction lord; fix a bug which made them actually free.
Don't allow lords to kick from the faction when a poll for a new lord is in progress.

O yea,I can´t  wait till the servers get up. Could you guyz make some way for getting money as a warrior. Like in regular PW serving drinks. Only serfs and engineers can get any money at all. I know that the lord should share, but some of the time he doesn't.

Then change the lord? :razz:

I have problem with bridges...
-it need to allow ships (all except the biggest one)
-it can't be extremely high (it looks silly and isn't very practical for land units)
-it can't be openable only from one side

so my question: is it possible to link two drawbridges and two winches together? like - use any of two winches to rise both bridges at once? or will it cause some problems (like in native when I link two winches to single portcuils)? and if it's not possible in current system, could you add it in next version?

Can you make so we get our equipment back after we die (not the weapons)? It's damn expensive and sometimes you die with no reason then have to get everything again, also the soldiers can't make money so it would be nice.

Yea the weapons should stay gone, but the armor should really stay, or whould it be too damn easy then? I don't know about this. It could be a good idea or a bad one. Because then the penalties for death whould be even smaller. Than nobody whould be affraid to die. Right now people in full sets of armor try really hard to stay alive. The doctors job whould be even more pointless than right now. Because everybody whould just commit suicides when low health. Think about it.
PS: Thinkin about making armors craftable and stackable is the worst idea ever ever ever ever........

The thing about armor is that it does NEED to go when you die, or else it is meaningless.  Suddenly you work hard enough to get the Elite Armor, or Plate, and you are a badass knight for the rest of the 13hours you have left, who at worst can stand around weaponless and have attacks bounce off them, at best a faction crafter makes the (newly profitable) weapons pro bono.  Having armor be taken away when you die makes armor meaningful, which is the whole point of PW!  I think armor system right now is fine.

You want to see this mod really become ye old CRPG armored deathfest?  Let people keep armor.

This new alpha four KICKS ASS by the way.  Love the crafting and faction changes.  Sailor skill is an unexpected GEM. I love it. No more serf boat jacking because they don't know how to sail heh.  Doctors needed that PS (whiff whiff heal).

I have one MAJOR GRIPE though.  It takes WAAAAYYYYY too long to drown.  Is this an ad hoc "swimming?"  What is the point of bridges, moats, and boats if you can ford all the rivers/moats without any damage?  It was annoying enough in Alpha_3 to see people attacking the Green castle just walking under the moat and up the back to the back door without taking any damage.  Now, the bridge is out? Who cares to repair it!  Seems less roleplay to me, by far.

Otherwise, like I said, you've made lots of excellent improvements.  I just have a feeling that this drowning thing is going to really annoy the hardcore crowd. 

As an illustration, I should not be able to cross here:

mb1y.jpg

I have not yet attempted to walk to Iron Isle...

mb2fz.jpg

I also just ran from a robbery (at half hp) successfully by fording the river between Red town and White castle, and on the way over I met a fellow submariner, crossing the other way. We said hello.  Now, of course it is up to the player to choose to "exploit" this or not, but if I can do it as a test, people will do it for real...

Suggestion:  Keep it so that you dont start drowning quickly, but so that once you DO start, you die quickly.  Give the person 30-45 seconds of holding breath and then *gulp* *gulp* and their lungs fill with water.  Dead.  That way, although I made it most of the way across the wide part of the river without taking damage, those last two ticks of damage I took before I made it to the end should have killed me.  This way, I can fall off a dock because of a boat glitch and make it back. Sailor class could have better holding breath duration if that is codeable.    The best would be to tie it to weight carried, so that an unweighted, light armored man could "swim" across the river for spec ops attacks, but a heavily armored attack force dies reeallly quickly underwater.  Or if an iron laden serf falls off the boat, he must drop the iron to live!

I think this is a fairly important issue, since we will see way more "people walk through moat of white castle taking no damage, sneak around, and steal boat."  Although, mapmakers could also start making moats bottomless chasms as a result...

Tonight the RCC server ( Principal PW Server ) was really unstable ! Over 80 players get disconnected on 15min.
Some people thinks it's come from the version.. But I don't think that.

Swadian Man at Arms said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !
Edit: I'll update the map then.
Your previous scene should still work just fine; I did make one small change which I thought might be breaking: rename pw_export_iron_bar to pw_export_iron_bar_short and pw_export_iron_bar_med to pw_export_iron_bar, to be the same as the item names to avoid confusion (should have done it before the first release) - but when I loaded the scene the props seemed to all still be correct, so probably the game engine has code to handle renamed scene props that are not reordered in the list (much). You might find that those two scene props have been swapped around - I couldn't remember which was which, to know for sure.
CalenLoki said:
I have problem with bridges...
-it need to allow ships (all except the biggest one)
-it can't be extremely high (it looks silly and isn't very practical for land units)
I presume you mean castle drawbridges? Whether it allows ships past or not should just depend on how you place it; you can check if it was added to the ship collision list by going into "Edit a Scene", then without editing anything, press F10 to move to the positions of all props in the list.
CalenLoki said:
-it can't be openable only from one side
This is intentional; what use would people have for a drawbridge that can be opened from either side?
CalenLoki said:
so my question: is it possible to link two drawbridges and two winches together? like - use any of two winches to rise both bridges at once? or will it cause some problems (like in native when I link two winches to single portcuils)? and if it's not possible in current system, could you add it in next version?
That would be annoying to try do, as it would need a new and different scene prop linking script (currently all linked props use the same one). What would happen if one player was at one winch, another one at the other, and they were operating them in different directions? Aside from being unrealistic, it might break the code, as it wasn't designed for that.
TheWaylit said:
The thing about armor is that it does NEED to go when you die, or else it is meaningless.
Yes, armor loss after death is not going to change, and item saving like cRPG isn't ever going to be added, at least by me.
TheWaylit said:
It takes WAAAAYYYYY too long to drown.  Is this an ad hoc "swimming?"  What is the point of bridges, moats, and boats if you can ford all the rivers/moats without any damage?
Suggestion:  Keep it so that you dont start drowning quickly, but so that once you DO start, you die quickly.  Give the person 30-45 seconds of holding breath and then *gulp* *gulp* and their lungs fill with water.  Dead.
I presume you are speaking of the alpha4 version only? Was how it worked in alpha3 fine? It's not supposed to represent swimming; I just thought that maybe the previous version was a bit too harsh, so on a whim, I tweaked it down: from what you say, I'll almost certainly change it back. I don't have time to check every part of every river to see if it can be crossed, I leave that to the players, so thank you for your report :smile:. The old script did nothing for about 8 seconds (or maybe slightly longer, if there are a lot of players connected) and then the damage dealt every 2 seconds increased through the square numbers (1, 4, 9, 16, 25, ...), and the only change in alpha4 was to change the series to multiples of 2 (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, ...).
TheWaylit said:
Sailor class could have better holding breath duration if that is codeable.    The best would be to tie it to weight carried, so that an unweighted, light armored man could "swim" across the river for spec ops attacks, but a heavily armored attack force dies reeallly quickly underwater.  Or if an iron laden serf falls off the boat, he must drop the iron to live!
Those are nice ideas, but I'm not sure if I should implement the wieght one; I'd have to see if that made a big difference to how much server time the drowning check takes up. Sailor skill meaning you can hold your breath longer would be easier; I'll think about it.

I ve played the 4.4 version ,and I found there is no ore stockpile point(at least not any at red castle I checked) , so if u wanna make weapons u need two ppl , one is serf who goes mining and carries back the ore ,the other is the engineer, who does the smelting  since serf themselves cant make iron bars. So I found there is less iron bars in stock now.

So could u make an ore stockpile point ,so we can accumulate the ore stock in castle while being serf , and its gonna be convinent to the engineer.

And another point is whats the use of export station, say the ore  one at the city port , if ppl can go to island to mine and go back to the port sell them all there ,why ppl would bother to go the longer way to the castle and make iron bars stock?    Simply cuz the leader order them to do so??

Well ,come to think of it . If some of the castles like green faction doesn have ore export and has ore stockpile station whereas its the other way around for the red faction . Thats gonna make red faction tend to have less iron bars stock ,and  green faction  more .

May be these two factions wanna trade  together,  as long as the cart works  we can organize large amount of iron bars  transportation and trade. This gonna be so much fun .(32 bars once??)

hakjimmy said:
I ve played the 4.4 version ,and I found there is no ore stockpile point(at least not any at red castle I checked) , so if u wanna make weapons u need two ppl , one is serf who goes mining and carries back the ore ,the other is the engineer, who does the smelting  since serf themselves cant make iron bars. So I found there is less iron bars in stock now.
Yeah, I had another feature planned for alpha4 which would have allowed stockpiling all the different resource types at each castle, but it didn't work out, and I didn't want to delay the release any longer. I'm still thinking about how to implement that sort of thing...
hakjimmy said:
And another point is whats the use of export station, say the ore  one at the city port , if ppl can go to island to mine and go back to the port sell them all there ,why ppl would bother to go the longer way to the castle and make iron bars stock?    Simply cuz the leader order them to do so??
That's intentional; if factions want iron they need to compete with the higher export prices (which remove it from the game), by convincing / coercing / bribing serfs or peasants for it.

The cart is what everyone wants.
Especially if you get a kingdom wanting swords, they finish their serf run and bring you much Iron in a cart to make swords/crossbows/greatswords.

Once the swords are ready everyone should be some kind of swordsman.
I'm normally the smith with my faction.
Anyway I really love to play this mod and think you've really done great so far!
EDIT: I forgot to mention if you want bowmen the near same follows except with wood.

Stop nagging about the carts already, people - as stated in the original post, they are not supposed to work yet. It's not a case of just fixing a few bugs or something, a large part of the scripts required haven't even been attempted yet; I don't know for sure how long it will take, but I doubt it will be easy.

Back
Top Bottom