Permanent Death?

Should a chance of permanent death for the player and AI lords occur?

• Yes.

Votes: 91 17.6%
  • No.

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • It should be optional.

Votes: 285 55.2%
  • Yes, but only for lords.

Votes: 67 13.0%
  • Yes, but make the chances of dying very slim.

Votes: 49 9.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Optional is always good. I also like kickthecats idea of a son or daughter to be your heir if you were to die.

Would it be possible to make it so after about half the lords in a faction die, permanent death is disabled for that faction.  Doing this will help factions that might have had an unlucky start at the beginning of the game.

It´s not working! When I die, I just reload the game...
It would work if it is possible to die, but the character is replaced by another, character (could be the son?) who has worse stats.

i like this idea, probably should be optional though.

how about being able to execute captured lords? with all the diplomatic fallout that would go with that, minus huge relation with anyone who was friendly with that lord, the lord's faction, ect.

if you have a bad enough rep with an NPC and they capture you, they could execute you as well. don't get caught by the people you pissed off!

just a thought. :grin:

Abremms said:
i like this idea, probably should be optional though.

how about being able to execute captured lords? with all the diplomatic fallout that would go with that, minus huge relation with anyone who was friendly with that lord, the lord's faction, ect.

if you have a bad enough rep with an NPC and they capture you, they could execute you as well. don't get caught by the people you pissed off!

just a thought. :grin:
That will be added. I could of sworn it's added I can't remember if it has been enabled.

Optional 100% I know others would appreciate it.

I would hate it unless of course more lords spawned in the dead ones place. Heir system would be pretty awesome, but even just a list of random NPC's that are picked would do fine.

If I do make it so that more lords spawn in then they would enter the world to any faction randomly. I guess you can say that the game is trying to keep a certain number of lords in the world at all times.

It has been so long since i looked at coding M&B, so this might sound impossible. Is there a possibility of sleeper Lords? So after one in an array has been knocked off, the next enters? Not the best solution but it keeps them recycling, that or a dead but active faction, Lords get so annoyed they move because they have no territory?

Just being creative as I usually am when I code :wink:

-edit

Obviously this would need some 'on death' trigger or event to call it.

Yes, the away lords for instance are sleeper lords. All I have to do is set global to zero. Then when a troop dies I add that global by 1. After that a simple trigger can make a check after so many days and look for that global to be more than 0. After it's more than 0 or 1 in this instance it'll wake up a random lord and put them actively into the game world. After that the simple trigger can subtract the global by 1 again. I can also put a limit to how many times this script will run also.

In the 3.0 release there is a pool of 20 away lords you can randomly get. The number of lords to be chosen from can be increased to 100 if you wanted. I just set the hiring limit to 20 to prevent the player from getting anymore than that amount in one single-player game run. So this means if there are 40 away lords in the game that are sleep, then the player can only obtain 20 of them from hiring them. the others can be spawned when someone dies.

Cool huh?

Very cool the way it handles it :smile:, also keeps it random. Just need a creative way to filter them 1 for 1 if a Lord dies in a particular faction.

As an alternative, injured lords perhaps? If it is possible to keep them castle bound for a period of time that might be a way to do it on a death trigger. You give the player the achievement of taking one of their rivals out of the fight for a period of time, but not crippling the pool of Lords. If they are there when the place is captured, they become prisoners or do fight but at very little health.

Got me interested in poking around in the code again :grin:. Good luck anyway, hope some of this back and forth is useful.

That's very possible but I feel that it is unnecessary because of the size of the map. On my play testing I was able to see how the away lords work with the player and interact with each other first hand. When there low on troops or badly injured after a battle they will retreat to there castle if not occupied by anything else more important at that time (like following the player or helping in a campaign).

So therefore there are several ways to cripple a lord. One of them is by attacking his village fiefs. it's one of the best ways to cripple a lord. If it is infested by bandits, then leave it that way. Not only does this stop lords from getting reinforcements, this also prevents them from getting income to hire more troops. Since the player this time around (in 4.0) will be more involved in how much money lords have, they will be able to see fit to where the lords spend it. The lords also spend there money on improvements but I have yet to actually confirm that they are doing so.\

I'm glad your getting into coding! I have so much fun making new features in this current build.  :grin:

Can someone show me to a permanent death mod, or instructions on how to mod death? I owuld love it.

I just started a new game, and am playing mercilessly, just one single spear through my torso and it's end game for me, without reload, even after death :O

Makes it all pretty exciting. But I would like to enforce this, so if I could remove the "taken prisoner" crap that would be awesome. I don't really care for th eothe rlords, they can jsut do whta they wish,  Iwant death for me, or perhaps depending on the situation 50/50 escape or death.

Or even better 33/33/33 Death/Prisoner/Escape. That leaves one percentage for something. 1% chance of it all being a solipsists dream :p

So far I'm going to base death on difficulty, and how quickly you lose battles or get knocked out in a fight in a certain time period. If you get knocked out a lot the chance of you dying will go up. But if you sit things out or when more battles the chance of this happening will start to go down.

I quite liked it when the occasional lord popped off during a war as it seemed realistic that some occasionally died when you have a fight between 15 different lords in a battle with 1200 men... not all would come out of that scrap alive  :mrgreen:

However equal on all sides. If they can die then yes, you should be able to die too. However there should be some form of factor which makes it more likely death for both sides will occur. I reckon honour should play a role. The more honourable an individual then the less likely they are to die... just... because :razz: The multiplier would need to be capped at some level... could be +/-50 or +/-100.

Also the size of the battle could play a role (if possible to tally up all the separate stages involved). Larger battles involves more risk as there are more men and more chaos. I like the idea of falling sooner means your likely to die. Imagine it as if there is more opportunity for any enemies to slit your throat, or you are simply trampled by armies marching back and fourth over your body soon to be corpse.

Its probably a wise move to make kings "immortal" for one of a better word, though I am not sure about yourself due to the fact you'd be king almost immediately... I've never seen a king die but if they can, fine lets have a little chaos in the realm. You could even have a civil war if your feeling insanely ambitious... to be honest that really does sound cool... ambitious but cool. A civil war arises if there is no clear leading candidate and there are 2 of equal value in property, renown and relations.

hmmm..............

I'm good with ideas but putting this into practice would be a different thing all together. Feel free to ignore this xD

If you are renowned for honourable actions like not executing enemies, Lords are less likely to execute you when you are captured, I'd say (you'd become a martyr of your cause...).
Other than that, don't see a ton of application for honour.

Also, if you are commanding a large army, your men will NOT trample over you! If the president of the united states fell over, would you go and walk over him...?
Even the enemy isn't likely to kill an enemy commander, if there's a chance of capturing them. You can get big ransoms for nobility. Also, if you just kill the enemy commander in the struggle, how will you prove you were the one to kill the commander? Better to take him back alive and take credit (even if someone else deserves the credit).

I'd love to have the Game of Thrones in the game :wink:. The first stage could just be generating a new king, in much the same way Lords are replaced (a new king is brought in).
--
For later stages, you could have a line of succession, with the Royal Prince, his brothers who succeed in the case of his death, the highest ranking Duke who can take it after that, his kids who can take it from him in the happening of his death, and etc (could even be made the heir yourself, if the King likes you way more than his kids)..
--
Even later, you have options for civil war. This'd happen when there are two likely candidates (relatively equal), with neither willing to give up the throne (personality-based stuff). Then, based on the other lords' personalities and relations, they divide between the two sides (some sneaky lords would stay neutral until an opportune moment).
--
After that, it might be possible to arrange coding for Lords seeking chances to have a coup. If the new King has very little power and popularity, and a powerful Lord doesn't like him, for example.

Those are some ideas for how succession might be doable. Hope they're useful in some way.

The lords should be knocked out and if you capture them, to be able to choose if you want to kill him or to keep him as your prisoner. If you are defeated in battle, the enemy lords should have the option to kill you if they really hate you, but killing a lord should take like -20 Honor. If a lord decide to kill you, you should be able to persuade him and if you succes, you'll spend some time as a prisoner, if you fail, you die.

Motzco said:
The lords should be knocked out and if you capture them, to be able to choose if you want to kill him or to keep him as your prisoner. If you are defeated in battle, the enemy lords should have the option to kill you if they really hate you, but killing a lord should take like -20 Honor. If a lord decide to kill you, you should be able to persuade him and if you succes, you'll spend some time as a prisoner, if you fail, you die.
I'd like it if there were notorious lords with terribly negative honor who you could gain honor from doing the world a favor and removing them from it.

This is an era when "needed killing" was a real justification for imposing mortality.

What if you had a son that would take from that point, like the 'Asleep lords' and be able to name him? That way if you die, as a king, he could replace you(Play as him)??

Back
Top Bottom