Permanent Death?

Should a chance of permanent death for the player and AI lords occur?

• Yes.

Votes: 91 17.6%
  • No.

Votes: 24 4.7%
  • It should be optional.

Votes: 285 55.2%
  • Yes, but only for lords.

Votes: 67 13.0%
  • Yes, but make the chances of dying very slim.

Votes: 49 9.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Keisari said:
One in ten chance? Geez games will end quickly on realistic.

In my opinion, warband campaign is designed to go on practically indefinitely until one faction conquers all the others, so, in my opinion, any feature added should not compromise this. In other words, I'm just wondering what happens when all the pre-made lords run out?
Lords will just slowly die until it's just kings dueling each other? :grin:
I could always make a fail safe people can't kill anymore lords too.

Failsafe sounds good, and if the event of a lord's death is rare, chances are the failsafe won't be fired often unless a player plays a real marathon game or systematically destroys the Ponavosan nobility.

The ideal outcome should be that a lord's death would be like a "shock", a rare event that would shuffle decks a bit and even more so if it was the player's most devoted marshal, or his most hated nemesis, and not some "WEEKLY NOBILITY FUNERAL" event. :razz:

All in all, failsafe in place, new lord recruits into line, deaths on a rare occasion and it would add to the immersion (perhaps?)

It would also pave the way for possible discussed hereditary features. :wink:
(in case they are ever seriously considered / implemented)

The more immersion the better. I'd love to go through with that ASAP unfortunately I'm still walled in by the mercenary code. Until I get that finished I can move on to the next best thing. I've added a ton of new weapons I have yet to test too so it'll be a while until I release something else. My mind is spurring with ideas...

Indeed. I would catalog this as a lower priority on the to-do list, since I'm sure the work:immersion/fun ratio isn't the best on this one.

Keep up the good work!

Keisari said:
Indeed. I would catalog this as a lower priority on the to-do list, since I'm sure the work:immersion/fun ratio isn't the best on this one.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Kesari I appreciate it. Yeah I have a tall to-do-list and a still-yet-to-do-list lol! I could but death in right now if I wanted to but I'm stilled walled in by the mercenary code. I can't play or test the game until It's complete.

No problem Computica.

I really urge you to leave this permadeath stuff for a later date, perhaps after 4.0?
Because it's more like icing on the cake.
(Need cake first. Yes icing is good but cake > icing on top of it)

I'm always just suggesting, though. You obviously make the calls. :smile:

Northen Wolf said:
Computica said:
If people do decide to use this feature I'd like to reward them also for doing so.

Weekly renown gain? Just for surviving in this scary and brutal world?
I'm not to sure what bonus I'll give to players just yet, but just how people will be able to turn off companions complaints people that leave it on will receive benefits with companions complaints left on. This way I kind give a balance across all difficulties of game play. Though the difficulty switches used in Warband's option screen do change overall game difficulty.

maybe something considering their payment; you pay them more to make them shut up and happy

or something about their experience gain (tough this would be harder code-able and less realistic why would less pay lead to less experience...)

or they need more minimum health to have their party skill active and participate in battle (less pay = less motivation to fight)

manekemaan said:
maybe something considering their payment; you pay them more to make them shut up and happy

or something about their experience gain (tough this would be harder code-able and less realistic why would less pay lead to less experience...)

or they need more minimum health to have their party skill active and participate in battle (less pay = less motivation to fight)
I agree with paying them more to make them shush.

I don't think weekly renown is a good idea.

Perhaps XP boost with permadeath on? Permadeath on = get slightly more xp from every kill.
The exact amount of bonus should be determined after the chance of death is clear. : P

If you are going to have a permadeath system, what if you end up killing every lord, then there is no one to fight and therefore boring... or if you die, then it's boring restarting... so, why not have a child system, where you can have 1 child incase of your death, then when a lord dies, like 100 days afterwards or something, his child takes over his name, or for the player, just make it so they make a new character, but have all their previous characters gold and equipment, along with some soldiers, and higher reknown/honor.

Azelf said:
If you are going to have a permadeath system, what if you end up killing every lord, then there is no one to fight and therefore boring... or if you die, then it's boring restarting... so, why not have a child system, where you can have 1 child incase of your death, then when a lord dies, like 100 days afterwards or something, his child takes over his name, or for the player, just make it so they make a new character, but have all their previous characters gold and equipment, along with some soldiers, and higher reknown/honor.

This has already been discussed and so far I recall heir system has been deemed too much work for fun and immersion to be implemented (just yet?)

Computica has mentioned that he can easily do a failsafe to stop killing off lords in case the reserves are used up.

I believe it should be optional for anyone who wants it and there should be an option on which level this happens.

Optional of course. If it's optional you gain 2 sides, the side that want it and the one that doesn't.

Optional, of course, and I like the idea of taking over command of your heir. For instance, you have a son who is 18 and then you're killed off, your son then takes command over the kingdom and you then play as him. Would be nifty, and you'd have to make sure you actually have sons/daughters to take over, lest someone else take over with weaker stats.

You could start the game with a companion that you get to custom name that is your son/ daughter and will follow you around until you die. Much like the strategy adviser of old SOD. But if you die then your person is deleted and your son / daughter can take over anything you own, comming with with new stats and skills and Lords will think differently of them, stuff like that

Back
Top Bottom