Perks

Users who are viewing this thread

It seems they have to completely build game systems for a few of the perk trees
  • Roguery: is dependant on them figuring out what they are going to do with theif game play how it interacts with the rest of the game so it isnt completely siloed off.
  • Scouting: seems a bit one dementional a tree, hard to do the split choice system of perks here without them being exceedingly boring. Maybe some overlap with thief system.
  • Stewardship: is dependant on what they are going to do with settlement development, and the economic simulation.
  • Engineering: is dependant on settlemnt develpment, and them resolving their vision for seiges, as it seems there was inadeguate coordination between the level design team and the AI design team. Plus technical limitations.
  • Tactics: as its currently concieved seems like a problematic peice of game design. If it is too strong you might be tempted to auto solve every fight, if not there is no real reason to progress in the tree. Perhaps a tree just for the AI but still seems quite weird to me.
    The other route for this tree for it to interact with soldier AI and formations, which again is another unfinished system.
  • Control Trees: dont have a strong explanation for why these one arent more developed, maybe to do with the range balance, combined with AI, still seems like these ones could have been made functional as I assume none of the trees are finalized anyway.

It does seem that way. Which is alarming given how unprepared they appear to be to implement the systems and mechanics you summarized so well.

There is no indication they had a plan behind many of these perks. The content “roadmap” they posted in May is evidence of this.

Sadly, based on their revision of other trees, it is highly likely most of the place holder perks we see in the 5 unimplemented trees might be removed and replaced with others. Some of the perks do require new functionality for what they've written in it. However, that doesn't necessarily mean we will get it. It could be something they decide isn't worth the effort after they get into it. In the end the perks in these trees are all just eye candy right now.

It is certainly possible they held onto these particular trees the longest because they are still considering other new features for them to interact with. However, that is only speculation. It is just as likely they fill trees like tactics with minor damage / defense based effects and it ends up rudimentary. Stewardship could offer simple army and fief bonuses and not be too flesheed out. Engineering could affect build times for diff. siege equipment and ultimately not get buffed out with new stuff as well. So there is a route both to include new features and to just finish these trees within their current systems. Time will tell.

Tactics: as its currently concieved seems like a problematic peice of game design. If it is too strong you might be tempted to auto solve every fight, if not there is no real reason to progress in the tree. Perhaps a tree just for the AI but still seems quite weird to me.
The other route for this tree for it to interact with soldier AI and formations, which again is another unfinished system.

In my opinion the perks should always give an Auto-resolve bonus and a regular combat bonus. In the last game it tipped the scales of how many soldiers were on the battlefield for your side versus theirs, that would be a good place to start.

You could have perks like "Relentless Assault" or "Defensive Positioning" that would give bonuses depending on if you were the aggressor at the start of the battle. Perhaps some bonuses to Morale damage on charges from infantry or cavalry, or morale defense. "Break their Lines" / "Hold the Line".

There are plenty of things that can be done with this tree, it just takes some imagination.

• Roguery: is dependant on them figuring out what they are going to do with theif game play how it interacts with the rest of the game so it isnt completely siloed off.
  • Scouting: seems a bit one dementional a tree, hard to do the split choice system of perks here without them being exceedingly boring. Maybe some overlap with thief system.
  • Stewardship: is dependant on what they are going to do with settlement development, and the economic simulation.
  • Engineering: is dependant on settlemnt develpment, and them resolving their vision for seiges, as it seems there was inadeguate coordination between the level design team and the AI design team. Plus technical limitations.
  • Tactics: as its currently concieved seems like a problematic peice of game design. If it is too strong you might be tempted to auto solve every fight, if not there is no real reason to progress in the tree. Perhaps a tree just for the AI but still seems quite weird to me.
  • Control Trees: dont have a strong explanation for why these one arent more developed, maybe to do with the range balance, combined with AI, still seems like these ones could have been made functional as I assume none of the trees are finalized anyway.
Tactics is a real issue. There needs to be more perks like the "one step ahead" perk for players to invest in it. It's a skill that was poorly conceived and horribly implemented. TW seems like they don't want players to auto resolve but the whole tree is about maximizing those results. :facepalm:
The other issue is that npcs levels of tactics are all over the place giving some a clear advantage in battles that the player isn't involved in. The whole concept lacks any kind of vision. Sometimes I feel like TW is just throwing darts in the dark.

It does seem that way. Which is alarming given how unprepared they appear to be to implement the systems and mechanics you summarized so well.

There is no indication they had a plan behind many of these perks. The content “roadmap” they posted in May is evidence of this.
I keep thinking that they wanted to see what players thought of the perk system because they didn't know what to do with it.

Sheep texture has been added................ ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?

I would have thought the perks would have worked after six months.

Last edited:
Honestly, at this point it's best to just remove the perks and have all the skills working, and even so there is a need for rework for some skills (looking at tactics here). Sometimes too many stuff causes more problems than it fixes. The simple number communication makes way easier to balance also. There are several perks that could be its own skill also (training, I am looking at you).

Back
Top Bottom