Perisno Development Thread | Version: 0.8 | Released >>

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonion said:
Most of Perisno team members worked a lot on the mod in a certain point in the past, long before I joined the team.
I guess they just burned out.
And despite the fact that it happened about 2 years ago, some of them still worked on the mod after that day.

At least when it comes to Native/standard features (like fixing common bugs, optimizing textures, balancing everything, making kingdom management and overall gameplay less tedious and "grindy", making certain efforts more rewarding and so on). Not promising anything about Diplomacy/PBOD/Freelancer/Battle formations features, since I wouldn't have added them in the first place (I'm too skeptical when it comes to trusting somebody else's MASSIVE OVERHAUL kind of code, and as for now, I can't really say anything good about any of these sub-mods, except for certain Diplomacy features). I've seen gsanders' comments in the code where he fixed multiple errors/misfits that came with these OSPs, so I'll just assume that he did his best to make them work correctly.

I didn't see the code until around 10 Nov 2014, so about a month after the thread you quoted.  At that time I was still lost as to what went where in the module system. I mostly tried attacking gender issues in the dialog for the first month and was waiting for "someone" to help me.  I think you're now in the similar situation I was in.  Once in awhile Michadr came out of hibernation but to be direct he seldom spent more than 2-3 days and then he'd stop and have a new "computer" issue, "internet" issue, or life issue.  He has a fair idea what module does what but its been a long time since every line in the code was reviewed by him.  He may be, however, the best you've got for questions and answers.

I left a lot of footprints and tried changes of many sorts.  I always went after infrastructure change but felt someone else whould tweak troops, items, etc.  I'm happy you cut the bloat by 50%.  The code in Perisno could use a serious dose of streamlining but it is very difficult to put in so many OSPs without side effects.  It took me at least a year to straighten out conflicts in the data model, as originally Perisno had declarations for diplomacy following the other declarations, and after PBOD declared its own variables, diplomacy declared variables, and Native implicitly declared huge arrays but the size of these structures was vague and always presumed to be similar to native there were huge regions of overlap that appeared only after mid game, leading to great frustration.  This is why towards the end of my "tenure" I published the data model as an open spec, mostly for your benefit as a roadmap.

I have this long history of complaining about not getting help, but at least you don't complain.  Perisno always had a large number of so-called "lead devs" that weren't leading or developing, and instead its safer to have a title sort of "I was here but the label wasn't important".  It's nice to get anyone to even read the comments.

I had a great vacation transforming Phosphor into Warsword Rigale under the Rigale forum.  I can't say it's been without controversy either but Nameless Warrior carried his weight in terms of changes and I seldom had to spend much time fixing his code.  I'd say we each spent equal time reviewing the other's mistakes, he and I, but it has occured with mutual respect.

I'm really glad the NEW Perisno team is making changes as a team instead of putting it all on one person's shoulders.  THAT is how to burn someone out fast.  It takes a long time to understand the code of everyone else -- what I assume was "intuitively obvious" does not even translate well into Russian.  Sometimes comments from anyone else just do not exist, making it much harder to know why or how something was written in the way it was.  At times it seems like it is a miracle it ever worked.  Sometimes it seemed like spaghetti from so many different coders, of different skill levels.  Looking at my own work I went from making terrible mistakes to simply bad mistakes to eventually clever mistakes and now they're closest to "lazy mistakes".  Evolution...

You'll do better.  It helps that you aren't in the same hurry I was.  I knew my health would become an issue, and expected to run out of money or have to return to America or something.  You can just glide for a while and with HALF the bloat from items pretty much everything goes faster, farther, and easier.  I urge you to remove as many OSPs as give trouble or are not clear and keep it simple.  Adding more factions, more villages, and especially more lords bumps up against the 400 banner soft cap in Warband, and Perisno 0.8 as of 1 year ago certainly was seeing that.  Make it smaller and try again.  Consider some reports to check the number of parties on the map, as that is a major source of lag, if I didn't already put one for you.  I think I made that after I last touched .773

The rather huge team listed for Perisno tended to be specialized and there was always a bottleneck at the coding, which I think you've seen by now.  It was a team heavy on artists, which is nice until that gives 3.5 GB bloat :smile:
  Happy you settled into it...

- GS

The first look at revised companions:
h-128.jpg
(The resolution of the image is 3740x3128, so just right-click "view image" or whatever this option is called in your browser)
Is everybody recognizable?
Soldiers to the right from companions are their household troops (some are unique, some are not), if they exist.

And here are companions' stats:
h-129.jpg
Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Also if somebody wants more companions (like a dwarf or a Hakkon legionnaire or some other type that is absent atm), I think it can be done, but you will have to write dialogues for them.  :twisted:

Leonion said:
h-128.jpg
(The resolution of the image is 3740x3128, so just right-click "view image" or whatever this option is called in your browser)
Soldiers to the right from companions are their household troops (some are unique, some are not), if they exist.
I couldn't make out too much detail.  The image renders 2048x1712 in Chrome.

Leonion said:
h-129.jpg
The buffs to the higher level companions are welcomed!  They have been underperformers imho.  Good to see points for both looting and foraging too.  And Fazl is a real trader, isn't he.  I like what I see.  :smile:

I been waiting for giants and africans since I first downloaded perisno, how close are you guys? I'm excited.

Slowly moving forward.

Tolranian lords are finished.
I re-equippped them, rebalanced their stats (individually, not like knows_knight_skills_3), added more pre-defined family relations, household troops, unique templates (like these :smile:), manually selected banners for them, manually assigned them to their fiefs (family members will generally live close to each other), changed a couple of faces (to avoid the problem of sons looking older than their fathers, 'cos Native 8-4-8 approach is back), manually set their ages and so on.
So here are the lords:
h-132.jpg
Again, constructive criticism is welcome.

I don't have a spreadsheet with stats and age and renown and household troops, so you will see it in the game.  :grin:

P.S. Who wanted Stannis Barainius armor gone?
It is now.

They won't be steamrolled by the elves this time, right? I loved Tolranian troops, but they would always get detours by all the other factions, even though they had badass troops.

Wow. You guys seriously put the effort to make each lord have different faces. I really appreciate that. Most mods just dump whatever. I'm curious about that one guy who's on foot with tiger banner now. He looks serious.

whens giantz tho? :lol:

Faces mostly remained the same, so the credits go to whoever created them before.
I only adjusted the age and changed skins and beards/hair a couple of times.

Giants are the 14th and the 15th factions.  :smile:

Tiger banner? What tiger banner?
If you are talking about the guy in a camo and a mask, it's the young leader of Tolranian Yeomen. All this noble/knightly stuff is not really to his liking.  :grin:

Tolranian lords up-close:
h-133.jpg

...aaaand Reich:
h-134.jpg

h-135.jpg

Most faces should look familiar, but about one-third are different, especially young lords.
As usual, images are enlargeable.

I hope the companion next to last isn't Silivethiel, because she seems pretty ugly compared to this one
2015-03-29_00003.jpg
. Anyway I'm really looking forward for 0.8 version, so I can play it once again. Keep up the good work.

Leonion said:
h-128.jpg

h-129.jpg

Also if somebody wants more companions (like a dwarf or a Hakkon legionnaire or some other type that is absent atm), I think it can be done, but you will have to write dialogues for them.  :twisted:
Maybe I am just a little rusty on the armors, but were there some new sets on the companions?

T1G4R3X said:
I hope the companion next to last isn't Silivethiel, because she seems pretty ugly compared to this one
2015-03-29_00003.jpg
. Anyway I'm really looking forward for 0.8 version, so I can play it once again. Keep up the good work.

The last two are indeed Tamaris and Silverthiel.
As female elves, they now have female elven skin.
Which is ugly, yeah.
But the problem is I'm not an artist and I can't change that ugly skin.  :sad:
Though I'm open to suggestions about how we can fix that.

danted8d said:
were there some new sets on the companions?
Not really sets, but a couple of items, yeah.
Like Fazl's robe, Tylen's helmet, Silverthiel's helmet.

Leonion said:
The last two are indeed Tamaris and Silverthiel.
As female elves, they now have female elven skin.
Which is ugly, yeah.
But the problem is I'm not an artist and I can't change that ugly skin.  :sad:
Though I'm open to suggestions about how we can fix that.

Well, you can always go with the way Tolkien Originally had his Elves. They didn't have pointy ears and were just extremely beautiful to look at, you can go back to their original models and do the same for the other elves, elves by name, not appearance, though some characters do make references to elf ears if I recall, so that might be a problem.

gsanders said:
Leonion said:
Most of Perisno team members worked a lot on the mod in a certain point in the past, long before I joined the team.
I guess they just burned out.
And despite the fact that it happened about 2 years ago, some of them still worked on the mod after that day.

At least when it comes to Native/standard features (like fixing common bugs, optimizing textures, balancing everything, making kingdom management and overall gameplay less tedious and "grindy", making certain efforts more rewarding and so on). Not promising anything about Diplomacy/PBOD/Freelancer/Battle formations features, since I wouldn't have added them in the first place (I'm too skeptical when it comes to trusting somebody else's MASSIVE OVERHAUL kind of code, and as for now, I can't really say anything good about any of these sub-mods, except for certain Diplomacy features). I've seen gsanders' comments in the code where he fixed multiple errors/misfits that came with these OSPs, so I'll just assume that he did his best to make them work correctly.

I didn't see the code until around 10 Nov 2014, so about a month after the thread you quoted.  At that time I was still lost as to what went where in the module system. I mostly tried attacking gender issues in the dialog for the first month and was waiting for "someone" to help me.  I think you're now in the similar situation I was in.  Once in awhile Michadr came out of hibernation but to be direct he seldom spent more than 2-3 days and then he'd stop and have a new "computer" issue, "internet" issue, or life issue.  He has a fair idea what module does what but its been a long time since every line in the code was reviewed by him.  He may be, however, the best you've got for questions and answers.

I left a lot of footprints and tried changes of many sorts.  I always went after infrastructure change but felt someone else whould tweak troops, items, etc.  I'm happy you cut the bloat by 50%.  The code in Perisno could use a serious dose of streamlining but it is very difficult to put in so many OSPs without side effects.  It took me at least a year to straighten out conflicts in the data model, as originally Perisno had declarations for diplomacy following the other declarations, and after PBOD declared its own variables, diplomacy declared variables, and Native implicitly declared huge arrays but the size of these structures was vague and always presumed to be similar to native there were huge regions of overlap that appeared only after mid game, leading to great frustration.  This is why towards the end of my "tenure" I published the data model as an open spec, mostly for your benefit as a roadmap.

I have this long history of complaining about not getting help, but at least you don't complain.  Perisno always had a large number of so-called "lead devs" that weren't leading or developing, and instead its safer to have a title sort of "I was here but the label wasn't important".  It's nice to get anyone to even read the comments.

I had a great vacation transforming Phosphor into Warsword Rigale under the Rigale forum.  I can't say it's been without controversy either but Nameless Warrior carried his weight in terms of changes and I seldom had to spend much time fixing his code.  I'd say we each spent equal time reviewing the other's mistakes, he and I, but it has occured with mutual respect.

I'm really glad the NEW Perisno team is making changes as a team instead of putting it all on one person's shoulders.  THAT is how to burn someone out fast.  It takes a long time to understand the code of everyone else -- what I assume was "intuitively obvious" does not even translate well into Russian.  Sometimes comments from anyone else just do not exist, making it much harder to know why or how something was written in the way it was.  At times it seems like it is a miracle it ever worked.  Sometimes it seemed like spaghetti from so many different coders, of different skill levels.  Looking at my own work I went from making terrible mistakes to simply bad mistakes to eventually clever mistakes and now they're closest to "lazy mistakes".  Evolution...

You'll do better.  It helps that you aren't in the same hurry I was.  I knew my health would become an issue, and expected to run out of money or have to return to America or something.  You can just glide for a while and with HALF the bloat from items pretty much everything goes faster, farther, and easier.  I urge you to remove as many OSPs as give trouble or are not clear and keep it simple.  Adding more factions, more villages, and especially more lords bumps up against the 400 banner soft cap in Warband, and Perisno 0.8 as of 1 year ago certainly was seeing that.  Make it smaller and try again.  Consider some reports to check the number of parties on the map, as that is a major source of lag, if I didn't already put one for you.  I think I made that after I last touched .773

The rather huge team listed for Perisno tended to be specialized and there was always a bottleneck at the coding, which I think you've seen by now.  It was a team heavy on artists, which is nice until that gives 3.5 GB bloat :smile:
  Happy you settled into it...

- GS

A lack of dedicated coders has always been Perisno's major issue, especially with any kind of relevant skill level. It does get tiring having to carry your own weight while also checking and fixing code from others and it's one of the reasons I ended up choosing to stop working on the mod, even though I came back briefly. OSP integration was practically hell :b

If I could give any developers currently working on Perisno any advice, it would be to focus on the bugs and less on adding new features. People love this mod, but every feature added ends up creating more bugs, not to mention focusing resources away from bugs which already exist. The number of times I've heard people say they thought version 5 or 6 or 7 would be perfect if it just didn't have any bugs is insane.

On a somewhat related note I hope the Perisno team continues modding into Bannerlord. Taleworlds has stated they want an open-ended modding system for Bannerlord: so instead of needing to compile a module in it's entirety for any change people can mix and match mods like other STEAM games.

I'm especially looking forward to lore-rich companions... Cuz... lore... Yeah... OK, OK, I want a 1,000 unkillable companion army. You got me.  :oops:

Looking at the new Reich lords/armors, I just noticed one of em has Ulrich's armor from the movie a Knight's tale. I approve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom