People who wore far too old armour

Users who are viewing this thread

Armor was worn in Tibet way into the 20th century, typically a steel helmet, steel plate belt and riveted mail hauberk with small mirror armor plates worn on top of the hauberk.

Tibet, New Year's Parade, 1938 / 1939. Comments:Note the arrow tail ends sticking out above his shoulder on the right side of the picture. These festivities include shooting a bow and musket from a horse.

tibetan-warrior.jpg

well the territorial maps mostly doesn't correspond
with the distribution of tsetse flies, until you travel
a bit further south from the Sahara to encounter them

AF_palpgr_H.gif

tsetsemap.jpg

CentralEastAfrica1750.png

Armor was worn in Indian until quite late, unfortunately not many photographs are known.

India, 1873:The attendants of the Sumptha Raja at the Agra Durbar, wearing char-aina (cuirass), kulah khud (helmet), bazu band (arm guards). A durbar was a great ceremonial gathering during the period of the British Raj. Here is a quote about the Agra Durbar from a book written in 1901, "The Agra Durbar was perhaps the most splendid and extraordinary to European eyes of the whole series, for there were seen the most powerful princes of native India in all their semi-barbaric magnificence."
0426753708ca62260e56066553d74956.jpg

Khevsur warriors from Georgia wore armor into the 20th century.

Khevsur's (Eastern Georgia) wearing suits of mail, carrying traditional weapons and shields. Up through the nineteenth century blood feuds were common among the Khevsur, hence the bearing of arms and armor. A person who was targeted for revenge could never feel entirely secure until the offense was expiated. At times feuds continued for generations, with grave consequences: entire clans or villages became embroiled in these feuds.

khevsur-1.jpg

Wouldn't call cuirasses useless. All depends on the context. In WW2 Russian commandos and engineers used steel cuirasses. In the case of the Russian commandos, the steel cuirasses provide great protection to the small caliber handweapons German officers used (which is great when you're deep in enemy territory raiding an enemy HQ), and in the case of the engineers it's great for dealing with shrapnel when Ivan ****s up dismantling a landmine.

You talk about cuirasses.

Please see this video, from a movie of an italian regist, Francesco Rosi, based on a book from a real WW1 soldier and writer, Emilio Lussu. For more about Francesco Rosi and Emilio Lussu, you can consult Wikipedia.

here's the scene: a general send to massacre his soldiers arguing that "Roman's winning because their cuirasses"

Very interesting thread.

I like this kind of Sudanese - West African traditionnal cavalry, they remind me the 13-14th c. European knights with heraldry :
ba15c9b6c9fcbf38c08d130bfe5d59d5.jpg

eepa_06335.jpg

tumblr_lvbsxpA8N41r0sn7mo1_500.jpg
Too bad that they didn't include units like this in the latest AoE II HD extension "The African kingdoms"!

matmohair1 said:
Raja Lal Singh, First Anglo-Sikh War in 1846

(the French cuirass was previously worn by French general Allard’s
"Fauji-i-ian" Curassiers regiment - the vambrace and couter seem anachronistic)

1266px-Raja_Lal_Singh%2C_of_First_Anglo-Sikh_War%2C_1846.jpg

"Fauji-i-ian" Curassier

105.jpg

interesting illustration by Norman Finkelshteyn
I wonder if it solves this mystery...

1dMx9j7.gif

matmohair1 said:
Raja Lal Singh, First Anglo-Sikh War in 1846

(the French cuirass was previously worn by French general Allard’s
"Fauji-i-ian" Curassiers regiment - the vambrace and couter seem anachronistic)

I believe the term is "fauj-i-ain"  (Westernized infantry brigades) ....?

Back
Top Bottom