People are not wearing enough...

Do you want more gloves/boots in-game?

• Yes

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • No, we need more Battanian chest armor!

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No, the Empire needs more helmets!

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • No, we need swimwear for Calradia's yearly most handsome Lord pamphlet!

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Not enough hats

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluko88

Sergeant
Gloves and boots

Like seriously there's dozens upon dozens of helmets, chest pieces, and a decent amount of shoulder/cape armor. But where are all the gloves, gauntlets, shoes, and boots? Besides being aesthetically limited, you've got a lot of cultures wearing non-native gear for their troops - which seems odd.

To me the biggest problem is you've got really low quality gloves/boots that provide like 2-10 Armor and then you've got a few more that are like 18-22 Armor. And that's it. There isn't much in the teens and there's nothing really high end either. Doesn't that make it hard to balance armor protection? Like I get arms/legs are probably meant to be weaker - but there just isn't enough variety. Is it asking too much every culture have at least 10 or sets of gloves/boots? Right now it seems like there's only about 4 or 5 per culture.

Please I just want to see Khuzait Darkhans stop wearing snow gloves...
f2KGGat.png

Is it asking too much every culture have at least 10 or sets of gloves/boots?
Yes. Yes it is much.
you've got a lot of cultures wearing non-native gear for their troops - which seems odd.
I will never understand why people are sometimes fixated on the fact that a piece of gear is called for example "Northern X". In history armor and weapon designs were not exclusive to cultures, and you very often had overlaps, where different cultures used essentially the same weapons and armors, or at least very similar in design. Both in the north, and in the south you had scale and lamellar armor that could be fairly similar. What's the point of making two separate items that are essentially the same just so that the name fits?

The game's still in early access and will be continually evolving over the next few years.

I played Warband upon release, and fire and sword. When they've managed to fully flesh out the game, there will be a lot more features - there's also mods if you want to add some variety to the game.

Yes. Yes it is much.

I will never understand why people are sometimes fixated on the fact that a piece of gear is called for example "Northern X". In history armor and weapon designs were not exclusive to cultures, and you very often had overlaps, where different cultures used essentially the same weapons and armors, or at least very similar in design. Both in the north, and in the south you had scale and lamellar armor that could be fairly similar. What's the point of making two separate items that are essentially the same just so that the name fits?
Nah, I don't think it's much, it's an okey number actually, but I don't expect them to make all of that in a second, but they should eventually. The problem here is that they don't combine at all, it looks uncanny af, the gloves should be of the same material

There isn't much in the teens and there's nothing really high end either.
I thought the same while walking back home from work today.
All of them were past 30 or underage.

Not really an issue for me, it's just gloves, and boots, I have no concerns with variety, but sure, more is better I guess.

Generally it wouldn't - BUT Bannerlord's whole thing is none of the other "Cultures/Kingdoms" have any love for each other. They all want to live on their own secular island.

It's literally all the game has got going for it. Since there's no religion or, it's rather important each Kingdom be distinct. Troop types are already too similar. And how do the Khuzait's import Scale Gloves from Battania anyways? (To be honest I just don't care for the Scale Warlord set)

Yes yes Vikings had Damascus steel blah blah blah

I thought the same while walking back home from work today.
All of them were past 30 or underage.

Oh come on, anything above 30 is clearly top tier
200w.gif

And how do the Khuzait's import Scale Gloves from Battania anyways?
They dont have to. They can make it locally. There's no magical force stopping a blacksmith in Khuzait lands from making a set of gauntlets that looks similar to ones that a Battanian blacksmith would. There is nothing special or exclusive about how they look, it's just that they are arbitrarily called a certain thing and made to visually match another armor piece that is also associated with the same culture. But realistically, anyone could make those.
And even that aside, they are worn by elite units, who would have a lot of money. It was not at all uncommon historically for rich people to import weapons and armor from abroad, or commission ones that look foreign.

More variety can look really nice and Bannerlord has the ability to easily implement this with multiple entries for each unit type. Another thing that is great with Bannerlord's system is it will mix up the items for each unit entry giving even more possibilities. Simple things can make a big difference like not having some of the lower tier troops not having head protection. This looks good with Battaina and Sturgia type factions as it gives them more of a rugged clan look.

This is a mod that I did for Totalwar and we used 4-7 different pieces for each slot
nDq0uGp.jpg

Gloves aren't really medieval, but fantasy. If you see miniatures, people don't wear gloves.
Boot? I don't know, they seem to be enough in number.

Generally it wouldn't - BUT Bannerlord's whole thing is none of the other "Cultures/Kingdoms" have any love for each other. They all want to live on their own secular island.

It's literally all the game has got going for it. Since there's no religion or, it's rather important each Kingdom be distinct. Troop types are already too similar. And how do the Khuzait's import Scale Gloves from Battania anyways? (To be honest I just don't care for the Scale Warlord set)
Khuzait Darkhans shouldn't have Battanian gauntlets, but you don't have to make brand new gauntlets just for Khzuaits. Just give them mail mittens or split vambraces or something.

Leave some stuff particularly to some factions, but otherwise I see nothing wrong with universal gear.

More variety can look really nice and Bannerlord has the ability to easily implement this with multiple entries for each unit type. Another thing that is great with Bannerlord's system is it will mix up the items for each unit entry giving even more possibilities. Simple things can make a big difference like not having some of the lower tier troops not having head protection. This looks good with Battaina and Sturgia type factions as it gives them more of a rugged clan look.

This is a mod that I did for Totalwar and we used 4-7 different pieces for each slot
nDq0uGp.jpg
Ngl, but that looks way too busy for my liking. Variety is nice, but this just looks like a mess.

I think @Kentucky 『 HEIGUI 』 James had something to say about colours doing more for variety than different helmets, but I'm not bothered to dig up that post atm.

That being said, we don't need new armours to achieve that look. Already plenty of gear in game- the devs just don't use it.

Gloves aren't really medieval, but fantasy. If you see miniatures, people don't wear gloves.
Boot? I don't know, they seem to be enough in number.
There are plenty of archeological evidences that prove the existence of gloves or arms armors. Miniatures are good for historical studies but often stylized depictions and sometimes not even contemporaneous of the subject.

Also most of the time those pieces were made of leather which desegregated quickly. Sometimes they were reinforced with metal, in lamellar (mostly eastern), splinted (Valsgärde, Vendel etc...) or brigandine fashion (later on).

Gloves even in plain leather, are just to good for the practice of fencing, archery and equitation. There were most likely used by the tip of the spear of an army, those who are wealthy enough to afford them.

Setting aside the 'realism' that armor/weapons can be regionally homogenized, each culture should have distinctive/thematic armor sets for this game.
It's good each patch update comes with a few pieces here and there - and hopefully they add some more boots/gloves too as those are sorely missing.

Ngl, but that looks way too busy for my liking. Variety is nice, but this just looks like a mess.

I think @Kentucky 『 HEIGUI 』 James had something to say about colours doing more for variety than different helmets, but I'm not bothered to dig up that post atm.

That being said, we don't need new armours to achieve that look. Already plenty of gear in game- the devs just don't use it.
Well in general I would imagine armies of the period were a mess and that was kind of the point in that mod though, but I understand where your coming from. That said I have tested Bannerlord's gear setup and all you need is 4-5 unique entries and you get some solid looking battle lines that are not clones. You are correct about the gear, TW just needs to add all the new models to existing units. I would still like to see some Lord ornate unique Southern gloves and boots though at they as they just borrow from the other cultures currently.

Last edited:
I have made the assumption... based on the fact that we're still getting new armours for factions with each update... that any armour that you see that doesn't quite look right, is placeholder armour with close to the right stats for balancing units. For example, there are still identical pieces of Sturgian and Asari armour.

Because balancing unit stats is difficult, and takes a lot of development hours and even more internal testing and beta testing hours. The impacts of small changes might take in-game years to manifest.

Whereas changing the visual appearance or aesthetic model of a piece of armour can be done by anyone, at any time, with little need for extended testing. So I would again assume, it is low on the priority list and one of the last game-polish things to be done after unit stats are settled...

At least that's my assumption.

Yes. Yes it is much.

Because a lot of items are made to suit the particular aesthetic of their cultural group, so when they're used by other cultures it looks odd and messy. Some things work for any kingdom, some just look out of place.

Because a lot of items are made to suit the particular aesthetic of their cultural group, so when they're used by other cultures it looks odd and messy. Some things work for any kingdom, some just look out of place.
And this is still just a video game, so there should be leeway to create distinct cultural styles between the kingdoms. If anything, as a compromise, the Empires should be a 'blended' culture given they are in the center between all the more 'diverse' kingdoms on the edges of the maps.

Well in general I would imagine armies of the period were a mess and that was kind of the point in that mod though, but I understand where your coming from. That said I have tested Bannerlord's gear setup and all you need is 4-5 unique entries and you get some solid looking battle lines that are not clones. You are correct about the gear, TW just needs to add all the new models to existing units. I would still like to see some Lord ornate unique Southern gloves and boots though at they as they just borrow from the other cultures currently.
That's true enough. I mean, considering what I've done its no big deal to get a decent variety going, without going too far. Like so (opinions do vary tho).

2022-04-25_20.31.37.png

Back
Top Bottom