Opinions on beta 1.1.0 AI combat

Users who are viewing this thread

- infantry units rarely block incoming attacks.
- ranged units which switch to melee, never switch to range again.
- cavalry AI vs infantry units looks a bit better but cavalry AI vs cavalry is still pretty bad. Cav units usually target the horse instead to try to kill the raider.

- cavalry AI vs infantry units looks a bit better but cavalry AI vs cavalry is still pretty bad. Cav units usually target the horse instead to try to kill the raider.

This one is actually quite realistic. It's easier to hit the horse and gain advantage by killing it. Also I saw a lot of riders killing riders in 1.1 so I don't think they always target the horse (or maybe that was by pure chance that they killed raider instead)

I started a new game with 1.1.0 and went into tournaments... and the AI cav seems to get stuck on rocks, in bushes and trees :/ Just not fun at all and very easy to win every single tournament atm

I'm playing new save on challenging right now, before patch i had to faint my attacks to trick the bots on the arena, sometimes spin around them (which destroys their brain) to win. But now i just overspam them. They cant parry even 1 attack from 10.

I think "challenging" means the AI is more aggressive and calculates distance better. Before 1.1.0 you could attack at about max range and always win the trade, regardless of proficiencies. Now at challenging not so much.

However the aggressiveness also means they don't like to block, even if they get hitstunned and have guaranteed frame disadvantage. AI will be good if they simply take this into account and block when they should. Not the pre-1.1.0 absolute iron defense though.

Another thing is that I like that most units without shields suck at blocking in battle instead of having some ultra instincts telling them to block my horseback swing while they are in the middle of fight with infantry and I'm charging into the mob.

You should not have 230 on 1h to block a few swings without even feinting. 100+ should be enough for that(and they should fall for few feints holds etc, from 100 to 230 we should see some serious block consistency specially towards feints and holds).

Second example. The palantine guard im fighting with blocked only once in our duel. In the previous versions they blocked like 80% of my attacks. I know that archers shouldn't be the best at melee, but they should be atleast good. Especially the high tier archers.

Second example. The palantine guard im fighting with blocked only once in our duel. In the previous versions they blocked like 80% of my attacks. I know that archers shouldn't be the best at melee, but they should be atleast good. Especially the high tier archers.

Yeah it's dumb I hope to god its a bug

Yeah it's dumb I hope to god its a bug

Don't think it's a bug rather some balancing. In comparison to Uthery it's totally accurate. Palatine Guard has something aroun 130 One handed while Uthery is 230 so there 100 skill lvl difference and You can see it in those examples. I think it needs balancing but not that much. Ranged units should suck at melee otherwise there's no point in having melee only. You could just spam archers that would kill most enemies from distance and finish off the rest in melee.

Don't think it's a bug rather some balancing. In comparison to Uthery it's totally accurate. Palatine Guard has something aroun 130 One handed while Uthery is 230 so there 100 skill lvl difference and You can see it in those examples. I think it needs balancing but not that much. Ranged units should suck at melee otherwise there's no point in having melee only. You could just spam archers that would kill most enemies from distance and finish off the rest in melee.
Hmmm I hope your right

You should not have 230 on 1h to block a few swings without even feinting. 100+ should be enough for that(and they should fall for few feints holds etc, from 100 to 230 we should see some serious block consistency specially towards feints and holds).

This.

And it looks like the current issue, the only NPCs which are able to block decently are these ones with pretty high weapon skill. Sadly 90% of NPCs are just horrible at blocking.

Back
Top Bottom