ON HOLD - Pike & Blade Merged v3.3.2 (Needs to be updated to 1.143/DP 4.1)

Users who are viewing this thread

I GOT IT!  I FIGURED IT OUT.

One too many faction troops in the early part of troops.txt.  Move the Sarranid Guard Archer to the bottom of the list and hook the troop tree back up and BOOYAH!

STAND BY FOR UPLOAD.

Oh and since I spent so much time screwing around before I found the answer, we have a nice side effect.  Versions of Pike and Blade for BOTH NMC-Lite AND NMC-Full.  I can have the NMC-lite version out in a couple minutes. NMC-full in an hour or so.

Sweet! Great going, imgran! Unfortunately I'm visiting family for the bank holiday w/e, and the laptop I have access to is utterly incapable of running WB, but I'll definitely have a look at it in a few days time. Really excited to find out what you've done! I've only really played Diplo+P&B since I bought the game, so an alternative mod with the same premise is really exciting for me.

@Kogara: I use TWCenter for the most part. There was a bit of a lull in the modding scene while the tools were being updated but things have really started moving along now. One of the most useful features of DarthMod: S2 is that it creates batch files to enable/disable the mod as you need, primarily for playing unmodded MP with a minimum of fuss.

Great.  A few days' time is exactly what I need to get this monster organized properly.

Final step here:  Introducing PBOD, which I thought had been part of the mod all along.  PBOD can be introduced pretty seamlessly into either CC or Dplomacy so I'm hoping a merge of the two doesn't change that.

BTW I'm sorry, but the fancy schmancy in-game upgrade trees are something I'm not skilled enough to fix.  You'll have to ignore them unless I muster the energy to do something about them.

imgran said:
Great.  A few days' time is exactly what I need to get this monster organized properly.

Final step here:  Introducing PBOD, which I thought had been part of the mod all along.  PBOD can be introduced pretty seamlessly into either CC or Dplomacy so I'm hoping a merge of the two doesn't change that.

BTW I'm sorry, but the fancy schmancy in-game upgrade trees are something I'm not skilled enough to fix.  You'll have to ignore them unless I muster the energy to do something about them.

Yeeeeeah......I meant to update the OP with a P&B/DP/PBOD merge....but I never did get to it -.-'....I think that night all hell broke loose "in real life" and I just never got back to it :razz:

No joy.  Something that I'm doing wrong is playing merry hell with the start screen, assigning negative relationships to various things and giving you 25 levels.  I'd need to know how to get into the module files to fix it and I just don't.  I wish it was happening but so far if you want PBOD + Diplomacy + CC you still have to go to NMC-Full or Floris.  From a Pike and Blade perspective you have a choice between CC and PBOD.

I will have an NMC-Full version of the troop tree out in the near future, but for now what I've got is the Lite version.

In the meantime, the NMC-Lite tree seems to run fairly smoothly, except for the bit about the troop tree viewer which I don't know how to fix.  I'll have a downloadable version up in a few.

EDIT:

This is tested stable for 1.134 as far as I could tell in a quick run

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7856Z9X

After all this wrestling and a couple lessons learned with NMC-lite, porting the troop tree back to NMC-full was... surprisingly easy.  Seems to work right too, pending the obvious "learning experience" or two about the finer points of troop balance.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PINV1JM9

Again, I ran a brief test, there may still be a few problems, and you can just forget about the ingame troop tree, but everything seems to check out, recruitment is normal, so it's just a question of fine tuning the troop balance, and that I'll need testing help for.

Next question: Do people want me to port my new troop tree back to ordinary P&B&D?  Maybe tack on PBOD and release the whole shebag as a new modmerge?

I'm trying to download I've downloaded it now ready for when I get home. The version you're considering is the combination I'd prefer but I'm reluctant to give you any more work before I've given it a shot  :razz: For the time being, it's down to whether you want to do it or not.

edit: Oh yeah, congratulations aswell, as I meant to say. You've done really well to get this far regardless of the content  :smile:

Hmm.

There's a small ongoing problem where every troop doesn't seem to be going into battle with a full kit of weaponry.  I mean the soldiers to have sword, mace, shield and spear, and some of them are missing some bits.

Will investigate.  If this was armor they were missing I'd have some idea what the problem was, but seeing as it's weapons, and not ranged weapons either... hmm.

Oh and by the way, I think I fulfilled Aeon's dream of really relevant skirmisher units -- and then kept going a bit.  The skirmisher type troops are actually moderately scary before they run out of throwing weapons, and even afterwards are combat competent with high athleticism and a high power 2h weapon..

downloaded, installed and going to play it right now.

one question:

how to disable the minimap in the upper right corner on the battlefield?

imgran said:
There's a small ongoing problem where every troop doesn't seem to be going into battle with a full kit of weaponry.  I mean the soldiers to have sword, mace, shield and spear, and some of them are missing some bits.

While browsing the forum I bumped into a relevant post;

Caba`drin said:
Knight0815 said:
Help:
I need to know how to give units like the normans sword and speer on the battlefield. Sometimes they got only a sword or a spear. but i want that they got both always on the battlefield. Please help me and tell me how to setting it.
There is no tf_guarantee_* for specific melee weapons, unfortunately. One workaround people have tried is to give the troop multiple copies of the same weapon in their inventory. This (may) make the game engine more likely to give the spawned agents that weapon.

The other (sure) way is to actually do Module System coding that captures an agent on spawn, checks what troop type it is and what weapons it has spawned with, and if missing certain weapons, gives that agent the appropriate equipment. See this thread in The Forge for details: Script to guarantee all melee weapons (1hand, 2hand + polearms).

OK I can't do module editing, I wouldn't know where to begin, so that pretty much sucks.

And the problem with using multiple equipsets is that I'm trying for an army of generalists.  Sword, spear, mace and shield, so that PBOD can turn them into spearmen, or close-in fighters, depending on what's needed.  If I do it that way I can wind up with a guy with 3 swords, and that doesn't do anyone any good.

If I can't get perfection, I still think I've got enough balance that if you have, say, 50 Rhodok Fighters, 30 of them will have Military Scythes, and that should be sufficient to make the guy with the Courser think twice.  Still makes it a troop tree that's uniquely suited for PBOD, which is what I want.  And the guys who don't have spears will still at least have *something*.

imgran said:
If I do it that way I can wind up with a guy with 3 swords, and that doesn't do anyone any good.
The engine will never spawn a troop with more than 1 copy of 1 weapon. Nor does it tend to spawn a troop with more than 1 weapon of the same type (one handed, two handed, polearm, etc).

Well Caba, I've seen with my own two eyes the engine spawn a unit with 2 axes, maybe the problem was that there's multiple kinds of "ax?"

I'd really be interested in rounding things off properly if it can be done expeditiously.  I'm not going to spend hours'n'hours'n'hours individually equipping troops, but if there's a generic code I could learn and implement, I'm all for it.

Possibly.

Oh no.

I know how to do it now.  Caba'drin's code ought to work.

Now my stupid bloody work ethic is going to force me to ACTUALLY DO IT.  For EVERY INDIVIDUAL UNIT.  In both mods.  And it's going to bug me until it's actually done.

Well thanks a lot Caba.  :cool:

Back
Top Bottom