Occupy Wall Street

Users who are viewing this thread

Shatari said:
chargers1783 said:
What have they accomplished?
Well, for starters they've called tons of attention to police brutality

While this is true, the rest of your points don't follow, at least not directly. There's a lot more to the current police "brutality" than the greasing of palms, unfortunately.

Also, Nommers mentioned a while back the unemployment rate and commented on the guy who got the verizon tech job. Two things: the unemployment rate overall has gone down: we're no longer at 11%, likewise, less than half of the current unemployment rate is cyclic (based on the health of the economy), about 5% is structural/frictional, which means the unemployment rate will never drop below it without a drastic restructuring of the economy, social structure, cultural structure, infrastructure, etc. Also, I point out the various ridiculous 99% signs (such as the Lib Arts couple who can't find a job).

Most of your billionaires have never worked at all. It takes money to make money and if you are risking your life or breaking your back every day with a spot wrench or shoveling concrete you won't get enough money to become independently wealthy unless you are a crazyman who singlemindedly saves every penny and spends his nights planning on how he will become rich.

Besides all of that what kind of country do you want to live in anyway? Do you feel proud about a country that imports all of its furniture and clothing and washing machines from some foreign country? What if your country has a group of truly lazy people who really won't go to work every day just for the sake of argument, should those lazy boneses be exterminated as traitors or is it better to make them suffer a life of Hell on Earth?

Just hang your Chinese sweatshop made American flag on your porch and keep spouting bull**** chargers1783 until you are dressed in rags too because the white collar workers are already feeling the squeeze now that the blue collars have been turned into bums.

It's just common sense, if a lot of people are making a living putting caps on bottles or canning fruit or whatever they can pay taxes, if they have no income your country sucks and is poor.

Sir Saladin said:
Most of your billionaires have never worked at all.
Source? Oh wait you don't have one, just bandying about another economically illiterate myth because on some level it feels good.

Sir Saladin said:
It takes money to make money and if you are risking your life or breaking your back every day with a spot wrench or shoveling concrete you won't get enough money to become independently wealthy unless you are a crazyman who singlemindedly saves every penny and spends his nights planning on how he will become rich.
Ever heard of this little thing called "investment" ? Your first 6 words of this quote actually hint that you have, but the second part seems to indicate that you don't really understand it.

Sir Saladin said:
Besides all of that what kind of country do you want to live in anyway? Do you feel proud about a country that imports all of its furniture and clothing and washing machines from some foreign country?
Imports don't bother me in the least. Why do you care if your shirt was made in the UK, India, Ecuador, or the USA? And why is the USA your cut off point? Why not limit it to your home state, or even your local city or county? Or for that matter, your own two hands. That said, government (at various levels) has been chasing local businesses out of cities, states, and the country for quite some time, and I'd like to see that stop (which would almost certainly result in a drop in at least some imports).

Sir Saladin said:
What if your country has a group of truly lazy people who really won't go to work every day just for the sake of argument, should those lazy boneses be exterminated as traitors or is it better to make them suffer a life of Hell on Earth?
They should be responsible for themselves; if other people will provide for them through charity, more power to 'em. If, because they're lazy rather than unfortunate, free people refuse to provide said charity, then they're on their own. We should neither be expropriating the wealth of others to provide for them, nor should there be any sort of extermination squads roaming around killing whomever is determined to be "too" lazy.

Mage246 said:
There are at least 10 different ideas there. And I guarantee you that I saw that cartoon long before you even heard of it.
No good sir, you are going to tell me why any of these ideas are not "What the Occupy movement wants". They are concrete goals.

They are not concrete goals. They have no specifics as to how they will obtain their goals. They are also too scattershot - effective movements concentrate on 1 thing they want to achieve first, and then move on to their next target once that objective is achieved. You know what kind of organizations fail to prioritize? Failed organizations.

Duke Daniel Milutin said:
Quite sure there is even less than 1% of the 99% who is joining this ****.

I somewhat resent the fact that I have grown more tired and more thick and no longer have the energy or brains to argue with nutty dippers like you.

Mage246 said:
They are not concrete goals. They have no specifics as to how they will obtain their goals. They are also too scattershot - effective movements concentrate on 1 thing they want to achieve first, and then move on to their next target once that objective is achieved. You know what kind of organizations fail to prioritize? Failed organizations.

And so what? The option is either a totalitarian organization that starts out the political change by purge, or having a movement centered about airships built of failure.
And why do they need to have a full line solution? Thats a fallacy. If you went to the Proles of Russia who was going to make their revolution back in the day, they would laugh at you if you wanted them to make a more concrete goal than to "solve things and kill the depots".

del_diablo said:
And so what? The option is either a totalitarian organization that starts out the political change by purge, or having a movement centered about airships built of failure.
Oh do prove this: it's quite the false dichotomy, rhetoric aside.
And why do they need to have a full line solution? Thats a fallacy. If you went to the Proles of Russia who was going to make their revolution back in the day, they would laugh at you if you wanted them to make a more concrete goal than to "solve things and kill the depots".
Do look up the definition of fallacy-you're using it wrong. The logic here is that organization's only succeed with concrete goals; OWS has no concrete goals; therefore they will not succeed. There's no fallacy there--the logic is valid and the first statement (while not verifiably sound) is reasonable. Also, you're quite underestimating the "proles of Russia"--the soviets (and I mean the councils, not the people) were well in place before the revolution, and "kill the depots" is quite the concrete goal, seeing as one normally needs a military and all the strategic trimmings to carry it out.  :wink:

I don't see how 'fix this ****' isn't a solid enough goal. Better than the nigh constant GO TO WAR WAIT NO BRING THEM HOME OH **** NO KILL THOSE BASTARDS protesting you have. Better than most strikes too, and they protest plenty often. More money, less corruption. The two are roughly even in terms of concreteness.

Hmm, and here I thought Scotland was already permanently Occupied by the accursed English.

so the occupy movement is about to go into Christmas here soon, and I've now heard word that there was again police brutality at Occupy North Pole, where peacefully protesting elves were peppermint sprayed after Santa gave the go-ahead to forcefully remove the protesters

Back
Top Bottom