Native Completed Nvno Pls SED(Single Elimation Dueling) Tourney DEAFENING IS GRAND CHAMPION!

Users who are viewing this thread

MrNevino1 said:
also Axe I talked to Noms about doing a dueling ladder we haven't really decided for sure yet what we are going to do
Okay, let me know if you need help.
EDIT: To be clear, the offer stands for helping you set up a ruleset for the ladder. You guys will run the ladder yourselves.

I don't think a ladder is a good idea. In order for the ranking system to make sense, everyone has to duel everyone the same amount of times. If someone is challenged by not so skilled dueler over and over, then their score is skewed. I don't know about scheduling for the ladder as well. I loved both NASTes, and I played a lot of matches in both NASTes, but there were many teams that barely played any. I don't want some duelers to have 34 duels and others to have 5. Time does pose a problem though. 32 player playing two duels a week would make the tournament last 4 months, roughly from Feb to June, ending the tourney right before summer. I could also set the person limit to 24. I feel like in my idea of the round robin people get almost as much freedom as a ladder, but a bit more structure, and definite results at the end.

MrNomNom said:
I don't think a ladder is a good idea. In order for the ranking system to make sense, everyone has to duel everyone the same amount of times. If someone is challenged by not so skilled dueler over and over, then their score is skewed. I don't know about scheduling for the ladder as well. I loved both NASTes, and I played a lot of matches in both NASTes, but there were many teams that barely played any. I don't want some duelers to have 34 duels and others to have 5. Time does pose a problem though. 32 player playing two duels a week would make the tournament last 4 months, roughly from Feb to June, ending the tourney right before summer. I could also set the person limit to 24. I feel like in my idea of the round robin people get almost as much freedom as a ladder, but a bit more structure, and definite results at the end.

or we could do a swiss style bracket

MrNomNom said:
I do not know what that is.

its basically kind of like a ladder but where there are a set number of rounds and the winners of the first round duels determines who fights in the next round heres a pic

7ace.png

MrNomNom said:
In order for the ranking system to make sense, everyone has to duel everyone the same amount of times. If someone is challenged by not so skilled dueler over and over, then their score is skewed. I don't know about scheduling for the ladder as well.
I might have solutions for both issues. The rough idea is to use the ELO rating (commonly used in chess) as proposed by CommissarK (?) a few months ago (but the project never seemed to take off). The idea of the rating is that the bigger the rating difference is the more points does the "underdog" get in the event that he/she wins the challenge. This makes attaining the "true" rating rather fast.
The responsiveness to challenges was a big issue in NASTe and something any ladder should address. One solution would be to put a maximum period of response to a challenge after which the duelist being challenged gets kicked out of the ladder. But, I think, the less abrupt and more interesting method would be to decrease the rating of the responder exponentially (first slowly, then very fast) once a challenge has been issued, so that the rating halves after the challenge hasn't been responded to in, say, 14 days.
Of course, these are just rough ideas and the general system and the specific numbers need work.

Round robins is honestly a terrible idea for dueling. Only reason I did it with TMTAKAPCDDT is because there weren't /too/ many teams. Even with the number we had, it still would've taken a while. Swiss would definitely be better, but even that could take a while. A dueling ladder, however, has always sounded nice.

You know, there's this tournament I've always wanted to host. It would take exactly one day, probably only a couple hours or less. It'd pretty much be exactly in the same format as a fencing tournament. Supposedly should only be as hard to show up for as a scrim. But I've always been told, Nope that'd never work derp, etc. Oh well.

KissMyAxe said:
MrNomNom said:
In order for the ranking system to make sense, everyone has to duel everyone the same amount of times. If someone is challenged by not so skilled dueler over and over, then their score is skewed. I don't know about scheduling for the ladder as well.
I might have solutions for both issues. The rough idea is to use the ELO rating (commonly used in chess) as proposed by CommissarK (?) a few months ago (but the project never seemed to take off). The idea of the rating is that the bigger the rating difference is the more points does the "underdog" get in the event that he/she wins the challenge. This makes attaining the "true" rating rather fast.
The responsiveness to challenges was a big issue in NASTe and something any ladder should address. One solution would be to put a maximum period of response to a challenge after which the duelist being challenged gets kicked out of the ladder. But, I think, the less abrupt and more interesting method would be to decrease the rating of the responder exponentially (first slowly, then very fast) once a challenge has been issued, so that the rating halves after the challenge hasn't been responded to in, say, 14 days.
Of course, these are just rough ideas and the general system and the specific numbers need work.

Generally there isn't enough interest for this to work. Commi set up a rated dueling server that keeps track of your kills and gives you a rated and stuff, but noone ever played/plays on it.

Mr.X said:
Generally there isn't I don't have enough interest for this to work.
Fixed for ya :wink:
Mr.X said:
Commi set up a rated dueling server that keeps track of your kills and gives you a rated and stuff, but noone ever played/plays on it.
Yes, I've seen the server and I've never seen any duelists on it. That said, correct me if I'm wrong, but noone has tried to host a competitive event based on that idea. I think what Commi intended the server and the module to be was for a less formal competition. Also, last I heard, the software was still being tested and the server was hosted out of someone's basement (but I'm too lazy to chase the post, so if you remember better -- let me know).
In short, I don't think that the apparent lack of success of Commi's idea is any indicator of its viability. I think it needs a formal competitive event (a ladder) and a ruleset that encourages activity. And of course a good server with the module running on it (although I think it's possible to pull it off without a custom module).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the reason nobody played on it was because we all thought it was going to be used for an event he had in the works.

KissMyAxe said:

I actually have something set up for specifically this type of style. I do competitive gaming in other games and a ladder is a fun way to rank teams. I've used something similar to ELO, it's called TrueSkill. Developed by Microsoft for Xbox Live. It's actually quite wonderful and does what you are saying. I wrote a program that can be put on a website that does all of the calculations for you and shows the result. If a good team beats a bad team multiple times in a row, they won't gain much at all from winning against them. However, if a bad team beats a good team, then theres a higher boast.

If you would like to check it out or use it, hit me up some time (BoogyLoH on steam). I'd love for people to use it for a Ladder on Warband, whether its through team scrims or duels. The one downside to it is my code has to be on a Windows Server instead of a Linux Server since it uses ASP.net for database stuff and visuals. Other than that, its ready to be used. The code is just sitting on my computer waiting for a ladder to use it.  :lol:

Not to derail this honestly much needed discussion, but I finally installed some video editing software on this computer. Here's what I ended up with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v63Pr9Dm9e8  The climax of our intense match.

On the real, it really was [intense]. I'm pretty excited to see how the legit video will turn out.

BoogyLoH said:
KissMyAxe said:

I actually have something set up for specifically this type of style. I do competitive gaming in other games and a ladder is a fun way to rank teams. I've used something similar to ELO, it's called TrueSkill. Developed by Microsoft for Xbox Live. It's actually quite wonderful and does what you are saying. I wrote a program that can be put on a website that does all of the calculations for you and shows the result. If a good team beats a bad team multiple times in a row, they won't gain much at all from winning against them. However, if a bad team beats a good team, then theres a higher boast.

If you would like to check it out or use it, hit me up some time (BoogyLoH on steam). I'd love for people to use it for a Ladder on Warband, whether its through team scrims or duels. The one downside to it is my code has to be on a Windows Server instead of a Linux Server since it uses ASP.net for database stuff and visuals. Other than that, its ready to be used. The code is just sitting on my computer waiting for a ladder to use it.  :lol:

cool I will talk to ya on steam if we could use it

Back
Top Bottom