North & South: Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Dordak_the_Lost said:
I meant for a later update. When it's not just based on Manassas.

The next episode, which is not based on Manassas, has a very cool Zouave unit. I'm thinking of them :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wyOB6JDZyUg#t=118s

Hinkel84 said:
Dordak_the_Lost said:
I meant for a later update. When it's not just based on Manassas.

The next episode, which is not based on Manassas, has a very cool Zouave unit. I'm thinking of them :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wyOB6JDZyUg#t=118s

Very nice. lol

Also, gotta love that US army music  :grin:
Is that the reb from Wicked Spring that couldn't read at 1:24?

sirwho said:
Funkadelia said:
Nyah said:
There's this game called
Sid Meier's Gettysburg
with some good sounds in my opinion. Maybe there's a way to extract something...

Wowwww I can't believe I never thought of that. Yes, it has very good sound clips for both union and confederate calls, and some voice clips.
Yeaaaaa, but anything taken from other games is cutting copyright issues pretty close. Best to stick with donations or something off youTube. Or buy some sounds from a site like sounddogs.

I've heard many of these clips used elsewhere (Television, other video games, etc.). I believe that they may be open copyright sound clips, however someone should check on that.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but what if you made the run animation "right shoulder shift." It would be very historical because the manuals say to go to RSS when moving at the double quick.

RtShoulderShift.jpg

Commander Millander said:
More preset medium size maps. Stuff like crossroads. For fast and fun linebattles.

Well, this is a good task for volunteer map maker and we have 5 good volunteers yet. Bacon, Friedrich, Gokiller, Hiner and Karantukki.
I hope I will see more of them, when 0.4 is released (new map objects).

Their maps can be easily added to the game using the new updater tool. So within seconds, their maps can be uploaded to every player (no need to download the map ingame or waiting on new update version) :wink:
To be straight, not everybody sees the importance of our new tool yet  :grin:

Can anyone tell me why not  that is added to the mod, rifles with single-shot bolt?

In the 1860s there were already that I know ...

Regards.

Hinkel84 said:
Commander Millander said:
More preset medium size maps. Stuff like crossroads. For fast and fun linebattles.

Well, this is a good task for volunteer map maker and we have 5 good volunteers yet. Bacon, Friedrich, Gokiller, Hiner and Karantukki.
I hope I will see more of them, when 0.4 is released (new map objects).

Their maps can be easily added to the game using the new updater tool. So within seconds, their maps can be uploaded to every player (no need to download the map ingame or waiting on new update version) :wink:
To be straight, not everybody sees the importance of our new tool yet  :grin:
Well I got something like 5 maps in the waiting row :grin:

Thvle said:
Can anyone tell me why not  that is added to the mod, rifles with single-shot bolt?

Regards.

Because though it was around at the time, since the 1820's in fact, they were not a widely used weapon during the civil war, and few nations decided to use them in mass production. I think Prussia and France were two of the first to. Why they were not used is beyond me; perhaps it was an economical issue, as it was with the repeater rifle.

Sir Audiate said:
Thvle said:

Regards.

Because though it was around at the time, since the 1820's in fact, they were not a widely used weapon during the civil war, and few nations decided to use them in mass production. I think Prussia and France were two of the first to. Why they were not used is beyond me; perhaps it was an economical issue, as it was with the repeater rifle.

I think they believed men who could fire shots quickly would be careless with their shots, whereas if you only had one slow to load round loaded, you'd use it better because you can't reload quickly.

Ehhh... I don't think that's the case. I think if either side went through with buying the rifles (but I think it was only offered to the Union, or at least offered to them first, though I could be wrong on both accounts), they would only hand them to the soldiers trained for them. Like to a regiment of sharpshooters for bolt-action, or a regiment of cavalry or a regiment of really... intimidating people with really good aim (I mean, if there's a bunch of people hollering at you, picking off 1-3 dozen people per volley, and each volley comes within a few seconds of the last, that would be HUGELY intimidating, right?). Both firearms would have had their significant purposes on the battlefield, I just don't think they were within budget.

The reason why the military didnt use any Repeaters is simply because of the ammunition problems. Firing with Repeaters would mean waaaay to many shots are gone to waste and it would cost too many logistical problems, not to mention the cost of all that ammo. That is why the army would rather suffer rate of fire but in turn have better accuracy and have to worry less about ammo.

Colonel Lance said:
The reason why the military didnt use any Repeaters is simply because of the ammunition problems. Firing with Repeaters would mean waaaay to many shots are gone to waste and it would cost too many logistical problems, not to mention the cost of all that ammo. That is why the army would rather suffer rate of fire but in turn have better accuracy and have to worry less about ammo.

Okay, so it was an economical issue. There you go guys!

Sir Audiate said:
Ehhh... I don't think that's the case. I think if either side went through with buying the rifles (but I think it was only offered to the Union, or at least offered to them first, though I could be wrong on both accounts), they would only hand them to the soldiers trained for them. Like to a regiment of sharpshooters for bolt-action, or a regiment of cavalry or a regiment of really... intimidating people with really good aim (I mean, if there's a bunch of people hollering at you, picking off 1-3 dozen people per volley, and each volley comes within a few seconds of the last, that would be HUGELY intimidating, right?). Both firearms would have had their significant purposes on the battlefield, I just don't think they were within budget.

Yea that sounds right, but I do know that later on they were anxious to give the troops bolt action rifles because they believed they would just recklessly waste shots instead of aiming carefully if they only had one. Then the Spanish started kicking their asses in Cuba with Mausers and they changed their minds. So I thought it may have been the same thought pattern in the civil war.

It would be nice to make some kind militia soldier (not really army soldier) with repeater rifles. Do not you think?

:sad: Well, at least it's something :smile:

And another thing, do you think should already have all the battle cries in English? both the Union and for the Confederates?

Back
Top Bottom