Nord tactic suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

janjanxtreme

Sergeant
In battle.. what do I do? I am used to cavalry units so I don't really get what to do with the nords, and they barely have an archer...

Let us say that the battle size is set to 60.
And my army consists of ( All are nord units except for cpmanions ) :
30 Inf
10 Arch
22 Companion ( ALL companions have one-handed, shield, polearm, throwing...

Any help or suggestions would be so much appreciated. :smile:

Get some mercenary archers. Cover your advance with archers. I can't give much advice here, because I've modified my troop tree.

On the field, play defensively. Set your archers on an elevated position in your surroundings, then place your infantry at the bottom of the elevated position. For instance, if you have all of your archers at the top of the hill, then have all of the infantry at the bottom, you can survive pretty well in the field. Also, try to have your archers close to the invisible walls surrounding the battlefield, as cavalry won't be able to flank them well.

What I do is get around half nords and half vaegirs. The Vaegirs make EXCELLENT archers. I tell both to hold in the battle plans and the infantry to form a shield wall. I put the shieldwall in front of my archers and get the archers to a clear line of sight. The nords should begin throwing a rain of axes and the archers a rain of arrows when the enemy comes near. I tend to stick with the bottom bracket of the extended troop for nords.

I dunno about you guys... But I don't even have archers in my Nord army. o_o I use the full moving shield wall in my advance. They are undoubtedly the best at it because of the overlapping shields protecting each other. It's slow, but when you finally get up close to their archers you're going to slaughter them. And you can have throwers in there, who IMO are more effective mid-range killers than archers especially when on the move with the shield wall. By the time I reach the enemy formation, even if we're outnumbered, I almost always come out on top with minimal casualties, if at all. Connecting your shield wall with the enemy line usually causes them to break formation and flee after just a few seconds of carnage.

One more thing, using Split Army and making use of the various shielded infantry, I can have as many as 4 shield walls advancing simultaneously on the enemy. This means I can come in from different angles, making the job even easier. Three-pronged attacks (two strong shield walls in the front with two shield walls coming from the sides) are my most effective tactic for them.

Well, I've modified my troops, so I have t5 Vaegir archer available  :grin:
However, I use similar tactic- I split my troops between spearmen and other infantry. I use archers to cover my advance and spearmen to cover archers and infantry against cavalry. It's bit difficult to predict behaviour of enemy cavalry though and it takes some practice. With some luck, you can crush enemy cavalry before main fight and then use both infantry and spearmen to advance.

Thought OP was talking about a strictly nordic army, if not then use a Nord Huscarl/Rhodok Sharpshooter comp, that'll usually decimate anything. I'm also in the same situation as Leifdin, I've modified the troop trees and troop inventories a lot.

Yeah I'm a purist player heheh. The only mixing I do is recruiting mercs/sword sisters. But I like to keep my faction troops purely of the same faction. I think it makes the game more interesting (and harder, therefore more fun). Even as it is now, Floris Expanded has different flavors per faction and I love that the Nords are built the way they are.

Btw my moving shield wall tactic is not weak against cavalry. When I was fighting for the Nords, we were up against Swadia and their chargers, and the chargers could not break the shield wall. Some of them were getting killed as they got to within throwing weapon range. A javelin to the chest on horseback will kill almost anybody. It was a beautiful sight.

I'm with Hanakoganei here. I hate mixing and it depends on my mood which army I use.

Shieldwall, tighten it, close the gap and expect higher casualties. I usually split my army and charge the ****ty troops first as cannon fodder with my Aethlings with me. Use low level troops or captured prisoners.

Yeah I agree with you Hanakoganei on how selecting a specific faction's troops only makes the game more harder and entertaining, but it would be nice if there was a dedicated cannon fodder troop for each faction. I've been doing mercenary troops only lately, and that's an interesting if not pricey experience. Glad there's so many tournies around for me to grind cash off of lol.

Aren't the new recruits fodder enough? That's pretty much how I play it anyway. The way I see it, those that die in their first few battles don't have the mettle to survive the wars. Those that do survive until they become more useful (tier 4 or higher), well, become more useful. :grin:

I mean a sort of dedicated fodder troop, like an ability to mass recruit farmers or peasants for that purpose. It might just be me, but whenever I have faction recruits I always try and rank up as many as possible. Whenever I play Medieval: Total War (yeah, its like 12 years old now) I always try and have a good chunk of peasant troops for that purpose.

Hmm. Try changing your tactical mentality. Instead of having fodder troops especially when using the Nords, stuff as many troops as you can with your shield walls. That way when your shield wall reaches the enemy you'll have even more units that smash into the enemy line.

I'm not really one to waste troops. Even if they're "fodder" troops, I still do my best to make them survive. The only troops I don't mind losing so much are the flanker infantry, who need to do the high risk job to ensure success in combat. And I usually put my best troops in the flankers, instead of fodder.

We have an older thread from before where we discuss how many losses we take per battle. I usually take less than 10 killed or wounded in a field battle where we have similar numbers. Usually only a small handful if I'm with the Nords or Rhodoks because of the effective shield and defensive tactics, if any at all. If you take too many casualties per battle, even if they're supposed to be fodder troops, you'll run out of men before you can do anything significant. Just pushing into enemy territory will consume your manpower.

Hanakoganei said:
Hmm. Try changing your tactical mentality. Instead of having fodder troops especially when using the Nords, stuff as many troops as you can with your shield walls. That way when your shield wall reaches the enemy you'll have even more units that smash into the enemy line.

I'm not really one to waste troops. Even if they're "fodder" troops, I still do my best to make them survive. The only troops I don't mind losing so much are the flanker infantry, who need to do the high risk job to ensure success in combat. And I usually put my best troops in the flankers, instead of fodder.

We have an older thread from before where we discuss how many losses we take per battle. I usually take less than 10 killed or wounded in a field battle where we have similar numbers. Usually only a small handful if I'm with the Nords or Rhodoks because of the effective shield and defensive tactics, if any at all. If you take too many casualties per battle, even if they're supposed to be fodder troops, you'll run out of men before you can do anything significant. Just pushing into enemy territory will consume your manpower.

Only a question, are you using the shield wall formation or only order your troops to use shields (F6+F5) and stay closer (F2+F4)? I think the shield wall formation is bugged beacuse the enemy archers stop to fire when I active it, and I dont like use it because I fell like I were using cheats.

I always use ranks for both archers and infantry. With ranks, you can join archer and infantry together for strong defensive formation.

To be perfectly honest I have not noticed that bug everybody is talking about, at least not to the extent that people are describing. Archers still shoot at me, and my archers also shoot at the enemy when they use shield wall.

I guess a workaround would be also to just make sure your infantry with shields use their shields like you said. They'll bring their shields out as ordered, if they have one equipped. I don't usually make them stand closer though. I set them up in ranks or square formation with the default spacing so that I can insert missile infantry among them for a moving wall of shields and death.

Maybe its look bugged for me because I set all the infantery in shield wall, even if not all have shield in their inventory.

Hanakoganei said:
To be perfectly honest I have not noticed that bug everybody is talking about, at least not to the extent that people are describing. Archers still shoot at me, and my archers also shoot at the enemy when they use shield wall.

I guess a workaround would be also to just make sure your infantry with shields use their shields like you said. They'll bring their shields out as ordered, if they have one equipped. I don't usually make them stand closer though. I set them up in ranks or square formation with the default spacing so that I can insert missile infantry among them for a moving wall of shields and death.
I have seen the bug in troops which are considered infantry by the game engine but have bows or crossbows nonetheless (throwing crap works fine). For instance Forest and Mountain bandits seem somewhat hesitant (but they do fire from time to time) to fire at me or my troops while Sea Riders have no problems in throwing anything they may have.

Regular archers or crossbowmen fire normally no matter what.

then shield wall is only bugged against forest and mountains bandits? or there are more troops considered infantry with bows or cross?. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom