New Attack/Block system unintuitive?

Users who are viewing this thread

I was bored so started watching a couple of videos and noticed something I thought a little peculiar:
Overhead blocks stop "overhead" stabs

So I broke out MS paint and set to work trying to understand this new system and how it works and I will summarise my findings.

fpHYT.png

The black lines indicate soft squidgy stuff you want to protect -> you.
The red lines is your sword/Musket which is used to stop sharp things reaching you.
The yellow lines are the directions/paths the incoming sharp objects will take.

Okay, it's paint and in 2D so you'll have to use your imagination a little bit, but the point is an overhead stab is going to be aimed within the yellow dotted lines -> directly at you and the red solid line of protection is being moved completely out of it's path.

A side view to aid in understanding what is happening:
9d2OJ.png

Unintuitive a bit?  :???:

This is exactly the same problem Warband used to have. I know what you're saying exactly crazyboy :grin:

Basically, when you see the overhead clearly stabbing your foot, and it is blocked by the musket raised above your foot, it looks incredibly retarded. Same for when the musket would hit the arms or legs.

Unfortunately, not much we can do :sad:

I dont think I get it?

You are suggestion an up-block should stop an overhead stab from bayonet, but no sideswings from sword or down stab? Because thats how it works already.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
You are suggestion an up-block should stop an overhead stab from bayonet, but no sideswings from sword or down stab? Because thats how it works already.

I'm saying that it looks like a up block shouldn't block an overhead stab.

With the other blocks you put your blade/musket between your body and the attack, with the overhead stab the majority of your body is left open to the attack still; a lot of overheads look like they're aimed at the abdomen which looks thoroughly unprotected.

there's only so much you can do before it gets overly complex. I think the system as to what blocks what is fine, regardless of how it looks on the screen. Up blocks up, low blocks thrust, left blocks right swing, right blocks left swing. does it really need to get more than that?

crazyboy11 said:
I'm saying that it looks like a up block shouldn't block an overhead stab.

With the other blocks you put your blade/musket between your body and the attack, with the overhead stab the majority of your body is left open to the attack still; a lot of overheads look like they're aimed at the abdomen which looks thoroughly unprotected.

Oh yes, thats right.

Its not only an overhead problem, because you can aim with any attack in any direction. For example, with down attack you can attack upwards, to the head.

If we had to block where the stab ended up hitting, then you wouldn't know where to block until the stab had almost reached you, which isn't enough time to react- especially since players can change the trajectory of the stab after initiating it. I think the current system is logical enough and easy to understand; you look at the type of attack coming at you- overhead, under, left or right- and block accordingly. I don't think anything else with the current game mechanics would be more intuitive. I wouldn't find it natural to block anywhere but upwards for instance if I saw an overhead attack coming at me, even if I could determine whereabouts on my body it was aimed at and react in time.  Even if the game had real weapon to weapon connections, you wouldn't be able to block a thrust reliably unless A) a thrust kept the trajectory it had when the left mouse button was clicked B) Combat was slowed down quite a bit to give people a realistic chance of responding in time.

crodio said:
maybe the musket overhead stab aim should be limited to a certain high (keeping a bit of thrust aiming)

It was limited to a certain height in beta. And while the current system looks unintuitive it feels alot better than the fixed height stab that went clean over the inteded target, even on flat ground, if the enemy held in a downstab and looked a bit down.

This not to mention that slight height differences completly broke down the upstab.

I have thoroughly tested this irl, and I have found out that even though my weapon is totally out of place I still block the stab. Get your facts straight and l2b Crazy!

In real life this action would be impossible, yes. To block an overhead stab like this, you would have to deflect the bayonet past your body by moving your musket up or down in front of your body. In the game, however, this is impossible. As NW is a game whose movements are not controlled by your movements (like the Xbox 360 Kinect) but in set and static positions and movements, the motion I just described would be impossible to create fully. The up-block in NW resembles that motion well enough, so I say, "Leave it be."

The only real solution to this 'problem' would be to change the block animations. Personally, I'd rather see them be a high/low parry since that's a more reasonable way to deflect a stab, but it's a seriously minor gripe.

Gameplay before realism.

Back
Top Bottom