New Armağan Yavuz Interview

Users who are viewing this thread

Prioritise the sheer quality of your product and you will not only make money....but you will be remembered and respected for years.

Prioritise immediate profit and sales over everything (consoles in this case) and you will only earn disdain and anger... even from your most loyal fans.
Tell that to the 100 million paycheck TW got for bannerlord. It’s honestly not a wonder why they’d prioritize consoles; I would too if I was the owner of this large of a corporation. Why bother putting meaningful change into a game when you can simply put out a trash product and cash out big with sales for consoles? I mean, even if it sells 1/5 of the PC copies, it’s literally tens of millions of dollars we’re talking about. Look, as a consumer, I want a good game. But from the perspective of the corporate overlords of TW, I totally understand why they’re doing what they’re doing.

Tell that to the 100 million paycheck TW got for bannerlord. It’s honestly not a wonder why they’d prioritize consoles; I would too if I was the owner of this large of a corporation. Why bother putting meaningful change into a game when you can simply put out a trash product and cash out big with sales for consoles? I mean, even if it sells 1/5 of the PC copies, it’s literally tens of millions of dollars we’re talking about. Look, as a consumer, I want a good game. But from the perspective of the corporate overlords of TW, I totally understand why they’re doing what they’re doing.
Oh I understand it....

I just think if you burn your customer base this hard, then it does a lot of reputational damage to the name of TaleWorlds.

But, yes, maybe they don't care about that so much.

Oh I understand it....

I just think if you burn your customer base this hard, then it does a lot of reputational damage to the name of TaleWorlds.

But, yeah, maybe they don't care about that so much.
The endgame tbh I think is the console port. They know they’re screwed. They know they did us dirty and the only group of people they can squeeze Pennies out of left is console peasants. Don’t actually expect anything meaningful to happen to bannerlord. It served its purpose. Random “patches” will be just as meaningless as the game itself.

They def didn't make 100 million. This game isn't as massive as people think (grossing wise) , and even as basic as we as players think this game is, it isn't as basic to produce and make. You have to understand this game was done over 10 years now? You know what amount of money you need to sustain a development this long, paying devs and interns to work in your game, office space, computers, bills. I wouldn't be that wrong to bet that Taleworlds was probably on the verge of bankruptcy or collapse before EA. Not to mention all the interconnected mechanics in this game, it really sounds like a nightmare to me to even think of making this game out of nothing (we're talking about an indie company literally building an engine, I'm no coder, but this sounds like a ****load of work, specially such a mod allowing engine).

Saying all of this, and how much money they must spend on still producing this game, I don't think Armagan -despite how much I like to joke about it- is a millionaire dandy buying yatchs and consuming sacks of blood to feed his vampiric needs (it's a joke, sorry Army @armagan , we appreciate you), in fact, like I said above, porting a game is actually a good idea to keep financing the game and reaching more players. But in my opinion, again, like I've said above, it's that they lacked focus, and they should have perfected the game, added new missing mechanics (a fully thought out freelancer mod for vainilla anyone?), polishing it as much as they can and then move on to porting, but I really think they do need the console's money. Again, this is an indie dev company, it's not under the wing of a massive multimillionaire company that can throw some more money to development and keep it working (even though, to be honest a Massive multimillionaire company would have already released the game full price and call it a day, so I wouldn't count on that either, at least Taleworlds continues to work on it, despite my disagreements with some mechanics)

This surely isn't INDIE DEV COMPANY!!!!. Just want to point this out with as much caps as I can and with as many !!!!!!! as I can..
On their page which probably wasn't updated in ages. They state they have 90 developers. Thats AAA studio. Not indie dev anymore.
Other points about their finances I can agree on. I can't be happy how they do manage those funds and their employees through.

They def didn't make 100 million.
They definitely sold BL for a few hundred millions or more. The sales at EA were massive and at full price, and they keep going.
See here, here and here.
This game isn't as massive as people think (grossing wise) , and even as basic as we as players think this game is, it isn't as basic to produce and make. You have to understand this game was done over 10 years now? You know what amount of money you need to sustain a development this long, paying devs and interns to work in your game, office space, computers, bills. I wouldn't be that wrong to bet that Taleworlds was probably on the verge of bankruptcy or collapse before EA.
That's one theory why they went with EA at all, but TW is in Turkey - their costs, including wages, are at Turkish levels, while their revenue and product price are at world levels. Warband kept making money for them for years, albeit at reduced prices, which could have been enough to finance BL development. Just as the BL money now finances their space game development.
Businesses also take loans to tide them over to the release and its massive sales.

They definitely sold BL for a few hundred millions or more. The sales at EA were massive and at full price, and they keep going.
See here, here and here.

That's one theory why they went with EA at all, but TW is in Turkey - their costs, including wages, are at Turkish levels, while their revenue and product price are at world levels. Warband kept making money for them for years, albeit at reduced prices, which could have been enough to finance BL development. Just as the BL money now finances their space game development.
Businesses also take loans to tide them over to the release and its massive sales.
Well, we both know the space game was just a demo to showcase the engine capabilities. It's okey to criticize Taleworlds at it's faults, but we should be realistic about it. If, like you say, Taleworlds took a loan to produce the game then part of that money probably want to pay some other debts. Also, Warband is a very, very cheap game, not to mention it went to sale regularly, so I doubt it helped to completely finance the game's production.

including wages, are at Turkish levels
I do not think so. Most of young even older competent people in Turkey want to get f out of Turkey. So I do not think TW can keep their devs with Turkish standards wages.
Warband kept making money for them for years, albeit at reduced prices, which could have been enough to finance BL development.
Yes. There was a speculation among some fans before EA that Turkish government funding TW and this what Callum said about it
aTxoO.png

ZJ1kP.png

Well, we both know the space game was just a demo to showcase the engine capabilities.
(Unannouced Project)
(Unannouced Project)
Nope. There are two available jobs at TW now. Like MadVader says, I am pretty sure one of them got something related to a space game on its description page which can not be seen right now. So this space game thing MadVader mentions everytime was from an official statement. It is not about their space demo which arguably backing up the fact that their working on a new space game.

Last edited:
Oh that's definitely not normal. Don't hesitate reporting should you still have such fps drop.

Well, recent communications tend to show that TW is taking into consideration some of the old fanbase requests.
I personally like BL, enjoying the game and its modability.
So I don't feel like they need to justify their price... But they definitely need to improve their communication and deliver all the features announced since August 21 (+criminal enterprise and other stuff confirmed recently).

Yeah I get and appreciate that...to a point. I mean -where have they been? I remember Mexico in here saying he was glad to help end snowballing (in a bad game design kinda way) -and stating time had to be moved to Consoles priority. Ive just never had one fulfilling run thru of this game -ever. I really, really tried to make myself enjoy it -but when AI just acts haphazard, random and endless boring cycles - you can tell its just uninspired gameplay.

Because Console development is so high on their priority and PC gamers are being asked to accept concessions even just by implication, why should the consumer be asked to carry the burden of their split development? Just like Arma Reforger, which also lacks in fulfilling gameplay and has been streamlined console wise, TW should carry some of that burden by at the very least lowering the price for PC gamers. I honestly dont care about the money, its a token of good faith to their longterm playerbase whom many of are disappointed - casual steam fans withstanding. As it is now, it feels they are going for maximum profit regardless

so, consoles are the reason why we have very simplified mechanics, not cool not cool
would console owners be able to mod the game, or that going to be only PC owners?

so, consoles are the reason why we have very simplified mechanics, not cool not cool
would console owners be able to mod the game, or that going to be only PC owners?
Modders can answer this surely explicit. But as far as i know also Warband was a kind of success on consoles without the ability for modding.
So i think Bannerlord on consoles is also not modable... but i had never a console (bad or good???? :wink:).
Finally i think really no matter how simple or more complex Bannerlord will be released, if the wanted modding tools will be present for the mod-devs in the way they need, then bannerlord (mods) will be the interesting stuff and first really developable... but thats after official release. I dont expect this year really mod-dev-wanted total overhauls for Bannerlord (as something finished), first after EA is over. And thats probably not only a thought by myself. The existing testable (overhaul) mods are like Bannerlord the early steps of those mods, nothing the devs would say, so thats now nearly finished.
Sadly from TW themselves i expect not more to much, not because i am angry about, no it is not any more relevant for them. Also they know mod-teams are in their starting blocks.
So better hope for a good modable ''Vanilla'' platform with the intended modding tools than complaining about missing content that obviously never comes. Also i understand the told TW masterplan was in past a bit different.

Last edited:
They def didn't make 100 million.
Why not?
As was stated in the latest interview - 3 millions copies sold multiplied by average price of +-50$ = ~ $150 million.
Minus Steam/GOG standard margin of 30% and we'll get approximately $100 million. Plus, don't forget about governmental funding.

The problem is (judging by the overall development condition) that TW is not very good at managing anything (employees, time, development cycles etc.) So, my guess is that those profits are mostly gone (embezzled, spent, or otherwise wasted with zero return etc.) . That is why TW decided to move BL to consoles while abandoning the PC version.

But considering TW's development practices this is a very stupid decision.
Consoles don't have early access, have very strict quality control, all post release patches and DLCs must pass the quality check - that is why console updates take longer to implement than on PC.
For example, CD Project RED really dropped the ball with CP2077. The game was released in such a terrible state on past-gen consoles that it was temporary removed from sale, and AFAIK it still plays like **** even today.
And that was CDPR - a much bigger developer with much more experience (including console development). TW has ZERO chances making it to the consoles without turning the game into another buggy festival of ****.

So, my guess is that those profits are mostly gone (embezzled, spent, or otherwise wasted with zero return etc.)

Thats a pretty big assumption. How could you possibly know what they did with those profits -thats a hefty amount and money managers are not just gonna let that evaporate. Those intern Devs aint making that big a salary and they just built a building for themselves -i get the feeling they doing allright but do agree they want the next big payday too -which is consoles. Am I cheering for them..... .... ... .. ... ...

they just built a building for themselves
That is not necesserally a good sign. If i had to geuss it is probably partially motivated by an attempt to sink money into real estate assets to store wealth, given the devaluing of both the Lira, the U.S dollar and most of the fiat currencies around the world to less extreme extents. Everyone with any significant quantity of money has been doing it for the past 2 years, individuals, companies ect. Those whom cannot afford but don't trust their currency go into precious metals ect. Those who are slow get effectively taxed.

That being said they are still along way from venesuala levels orders of magnitude away. Still given current politics i could see it being tried. Erdoğan looks like he still wants to bump asset prices by continuing to roid the economy with low interest rates, naturally for perfectly benevolent reasons and not at all to increase the value of his and his families properties. Given the levels of doubling down on policy i doubt he is going to change course anytime soon.

Thats a pretty big assumption. How could you possibly know what they did with those profits -thats a hefty amount and money managers are not just gonna let that evaporate. Those intern Devs aint making that big a salary and they just built a building for themselves -i get the feeling they doing allright but do agree they want the next big payday too -which is consoles. Am I cheering for them..... .... ... .. ... ...
Ehmm, because of the state the game is currently in? Because they desperately grasp every other income opportunity (consoles)? Because they can't allow simultaneous "development" on all platforms? Because they can't get their **** together for 12+ years already? Dunno...

Back
Top Bottom