Necromancy, my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

So I tried necromancy and it is... PRETTY COOL.

It looked really fun to see a zombie-skeleton ****storm wipe the floor with enemy (and their own) bodies.

Necromany pros and cons:
PROS
[list type=decimal]
[*]Cheap army with recruitment available in the camp menu.
[*]Good cannon fodder.
[*]Actually good troops at skill 6 and 8.
[*]Morale raisable by Dark Mages
[/list]

CONS

[list type=decimal]
[*]Depending on your start, can influence negative relations with most of factions
[*]Armored Zombies and Skeletons are reaally sloow
[*]The Living can lose up to 10 morale a day from them. This can be avoided using dark mages. 
[*]Can turn if not having Necromancer Staff and having a lot of undead at the same time
[*]A cleric ability can wipe them out easily
[/list]

At the early game necromancy should be avoided due to how **** they are at that level. Once you get a Necromancer Staff,  specialized skeletons or dark mages, then Necromancy is suggested.

And Lichdom? Never reached that point.

A trap some necromancer players fall into is deciding to only use undead, just because you can summon so many. You also have access to orcs and drow who can fill in some of the gaps of your soldiers. The drow mages are excellent and the orcs have great front line fighters and calvary. These guys won't die to enemy clerics and their turn undead spell.

You can migrate villagers or towns that you control which will allow you to reassign the people living there, and thus the troops you get.

There's also the option of making patrols and filling them up with a legion of the undead. They'll win a lot in auto calc battles, which will help improve your economy and protect your villagers from bandit predation.

The necomancer units are a great boon, as they can summon extra troops for you for free during a random event and also control your undead if you get knocked out in a battle.

And i fell into that trap, aye. Even shadows have a weakness - lack of shields and mages that charge into melee.  After gaining some dark mages I incorporated living into my army.

Drows, yes they don't mind of undead. But i don't know about Orcs. Ogres DO mind. With some dark mages it doesnt matter who is in your army. I think that an undead only army could be managed without food but with dark mages.

The ogre thing must be a bug.  :shock:

Do you use empire mummy troops? I've found them lack luster to fight against, but my main character is a cleric.

Morrowind Mod Man said:
A trap some necromancer players fall into is deciding to only use undead, just because you can summon so many. You also have access to orcs and drow who can fill in some of the gaps of your soldiers. The drow mages are excellent and the orcs have great front line fighters and calvary. These guys won't die to enemy clerics and their turn undead spell.

You can migrate villagers or towns that you control which will allow you to reassign the people living there, and thus the troops you get.

There's also the option of making patrols and filling them up with a legion of the undead. They'll win a lot in auto calc battles, which will help improve your economy and protect your villagers from bandit predation.

The necomancer units are a great boon, as they can summon extra troops for you for free during a random event and also control your undead if you get knocked out in a battle.

Never through of making a giant patrol of zombies/skeletons. That's can be a nice idea, have a spare thousend of them in city.

Totulhu said:
Morrowind Mod Man said:

Never through of making a giant patrol of zombies/skeletons. That's can be a nice idea, have a spare thousend of them in city.

If the devs are smart, they probably made undead fare worse in autocalc. But still, a hundred or two should keep those lords with ~30 troops away.

The giant undead patrols are mainly to deal with the constant rush of steppe bandits if you take over Halmar or Tulga. There's also a cursed battle ground near Bloody Cliff that creates a huge swarm of zombie warriors that will ruin your economy.

These towns are my personal favorites as they're very easy to obtain with the political situation the game starts in. However, the abundance of bandits is a major negative. Every game I take over Bloody Cliff, it's in the lowest level of poverty.

So if you have an undead patrol protecting every one of your fiefs, you'll be able to make all of your villages rich.

There's no reason not to toss in some high tier troops into these patrols, too. You'll easily be able to afford the troops costs and they'll be able to kill Lords.

Dang, i never thoguht it is so harsh there. A cursed battleground spawned literally two centimeters away from the town.

But those undead bandits are not so bad training troops.

Zombies are slow, but with higher ironflesh.
Skeletons are more frail with less shields but one or two cavalry.
Mummies are in general weak.
Shadows are something else though.

Sometimes posts on this forum looks blank for me, like one at the bottom. Somebody know why?

2dtp5IF.jpg
[/url]

Darnaran said:
Totulhu said:
Morrowind Mod Man said:

If the devs are smart, they probably made undead fare worse in autocalc. But still, a hundred or two should keep those lords with ~30 troops away.

How many devs, exactly, do you reckon make the updates you see?
  In any case, undead have gone through many changes since Guspav last saw them.  Certainly you are running a VERY out dated version if your city has more than 900 total.  When did trim go into effect?  L3?  That was... MORE than a month ago!
  https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,279776.msg8909088.html#msg8909088

You're missing M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, N1,N2,N3,N4,N5,N6.
    You only need the last one -- all earlier patches are always folded into the latest patch.

Totulhu said:
Sometimes posts on this forum looks blank for me, like one at the bottom. Somebody know why?

2dtp5IF.jpg
[/url]
  There is some difference between using Chrome and IE at Taleworlds.
  I find google chrome hates the download Warband page at Taleworlds, but likes the forums.

I suspect you have Taleworlds.com showing in compatibility mode with Internet Explorer.  Google Chrome will show it nicely.

But Google Chrome for example can't upload a file to Taleworlds image host
https://tw.greywool.com/i/

Only Internet Explorer has the javascript needed to do the upload.

I can however view the pictures linked in forum with Chrome.

gsanders said:
Totulhu said:

2dtp5IF.jpg
[/url]
  There is some difference between using Chrome and IE at Taleworlds.
  I find google chrome hates the download Warband page at Taleworlds, but likes the forums.

I suspect you have Taleworlds.com showing in compatibility mode with Internet Explorer.  Google Chrome will show it nicely.

But Google Chrome for example can't upload a file to Taleworlds image host
https://tw.greywool.com/i/

Only Internet Explorer has the javascript needed to do the upload.

I can however view the pictures linked in forum with Chrome.
Thanks, maybe it's uBlock issue, need to check

Yeah necromancy is AWESOME :twisted:

Kudos to Guspav for making evil fun and to Gsanders for making evil great again.

I'm currently do my Stand alone necro playthrough. No companions till king and then only the evil demon and undead ones I can recruit when I capture an additional town besides my capital. I'ts a fitting challenge. But considering I can run with 20 liches that freely summon 200 troops randomly.... I have no problem. and the lack of companion support skills is a worthy balance I think.

As for army make up.... I completely stay undead. No change up. I have high necro, magic power and tactics so i'm almost always the most troops on field. I specifically summon shadows as they are the undead elite troops.... lvl 40.  My 20 body guard liches either own sieges with raw magical power or summon hundreds of cannon fodder undead that weakens enemy lines before I send in the shadows.

I did make some changes in Morgh's editor though.  I added the already existing shadow foot knight to the upgrade tree replacing the shadow wizard; and moved the shadow wizard to upgrade from the shadow assassin. Just makes sense. Also added shadow hands.... really cause it was missing on some of them and was annoying me visually. Then made sure knights were guranteed a shield and gloves. Honestly seems like that was the intended logical troop design that was just missed in the hundreds of hours of work that went into this mod. So just a touch of clean up.

But yeah... necromany..... AWESOME!!!!!

Yeah, shadows need some shields. Your start to send in **** troops would be better if battle size was bigger. But i suggest using more shadow wizards because of CLERICS. Turn undead doesnt use faith so every cleric is a ticking time bomb.
Also i suggest taking drows if RP allows. It will keep the horde alive. Drow High Priestesses have Healing Rings.
Take Ogres to have some smash. But they do care about undead so you may lose some morale. But those liches will neuter the effect.

Has anyone tried making their companions into necromancers? I'm curious what benefits that will give you.

This is also a major buff to enemy necromancers. I often encounter desert bandits that have loads of undead troops because one of their bandit mages upgraded into a necromancer. Now all of those undead will be getting exp and upgrading.

Well, by making them necromancers you mean upping their skill, kinda. They don't lose health during the weekly necromancer event but i didn't notice them spawn any due to other necromancers being in my party.

I was sort of disappointed when I saw this in the P4 patch notes at https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,279776.msg8942347.html#msg8942347:
      v150 is the last series where player necromancy exists; the next player series will not have necromancer as an option. 
Between this and Solid and Shade there aren't too many good necromancer games that enable you to build an undead army, so I'm sad that it's going to be gone.

Back
Top Bottom