Necromancers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whitmire said:
Let's not turn this into a political thread. Other forums are full of that.

Can you just tell me to **** off, rather then writing all this ****? Honestly you piece of garbage, can you just insult my mother because this "OMG I HATE FANTASY [-----------------------------------------------------------------] <-that much" diatribe has almost as much worth.

Ah, the first one to lose his nerve often loses the discussion. You tell other people that they can't prove that you're wrong, yet you use any means at hand to try and prove them wrong. It's sad.
Wait, you know that DarkLord went off to a diatribe where he tried to illustrate a huge ripple effect where anything fantasy at all leads to Magic Missiles and Heal Potions, right?

The one dragon you long for could totally break the illusion of a real, living world. Why didn't Tolkien include a huge robot in his stories, just because titans/mecha are k00l? Because it would've destroyed the believability of his story. IMO, even one dragon can totally upset the balance in a similar way to the immense robot smashing down the gates of Golotha with laser and missile.
Well, it would breaks the illusion for the people who are imagining themselves as a character in historical times. Though I think being able to be a female warrior breaks that illusion just as much, let's not fool ourselves.

That is why everything that is not on par with the elements that already exist in the world needs to be considered carefully. And that is why there should be a reason for any deviations of style. At the moment, M&B does not look like a game that should include dragons. Not even the one Grendel.
Yeah, I think it's getting to the point where it's going to be the game that includes nothing if anyone listens to you guys.

The game's main focus will be supporting modules with historical or low-fatasy elements. I am sure there will be lots of different modules trying out different things.

I don't think we'll be adding dragons though. That would be like losing focus.

ujk said:
Worbah said:
This is how things got out of hand in Germany.

D&D kids getting into arguements started WWII??? :?: :?: :?:

Yeah. Hitler rolled a lot of ones on saving throws at one session and got mad at the jewish GM. And since he lacked imagination and the skill of ligcal thinking, he thought 'if one of them's bad, they all are! ****, I'm a genius! Maybe I should, like, get into politics or something....'

Wait, you know that DarkLord went off to a diatribe where he tried to illustrate a huge ripple effect where anything fantasy at all leads to Magic Missiles and Heal Potions, right?

I think he had a very good point there. If there's a dragon, it needs to be vanquished. To vanquish a dragon, you need more than muscle. This is where magical items and healing potions usually step in.

Well, it would breaks the illusion for the people who are imagining themselves as a character in historical times. Though I think being able to be a female warrior breaks that illusion just as much, let's not fool ourselves.

That's one sorry counter-argument. Tolkien had a female warrior yet he didn't have mecha stomping on the Uruk-Hai. Why is that? Why is Eowyn a good plot item, while mecha were not? Just because something is not realistic / historical doesn't mean that it has to go 100% looney in fantastical elements.

Yeah, I think it's getting to the point where it's going to be the game that includes nothing if anyone listens to you guys.

I disagree. I have many exciting (this is a matter of perspective, of course) ideas for this game. Not one of them is a dragon, though. I am not a Beta purist, who says that the game is now perfect and that every change is for the worse, just because I don't want to increase the number of fantasy elements in the game.

Whitmire said:

I think he had a very good point there. If there's a dragon, it needs to be vanquished. To vanquish a dragon, you need more than muscle. This is where magical items and healing potions usually step in.
Psh, not so! You just need moxie. That's why it would be HARD!

That's one sorry counter-argument. Tolkien had a female warrior yet he didn't have mecha stomping on the Uruk-Hai. Why is that? Why is Eowyn a good plot item, while mecha were not? Just because something is not realistic / historical doesn't mean that it has to go 100% looney in fantastical elements.
Psh, from a historical stand point women warriors were only slightly more present than dragons. I don't see why a dragon is 100%, I don't see why anything is 100% either way. You claim you'd be fine with slight fantasy elements and then preach this insane dribble down effect on any fantasy addition. I guess that they can preform surgery is what you mean by fantasy? I'm really confused here.

I disagree. I have many exciting (this is a matter of perspective, of course) ideas for this game. Not one of them is a dragon, though. I am not a Beta purist, who says that the game is now perfect and that every change is for the worse, just because I don't want to increase the number of fantasy elements in the game.
I don't see where there are fantasy elements, unless you mean the lack of complete realism?

armagan said:
The game's main focus will be supporting modules with historical or low-fatasy elements. I am sure there will be lots of different modules trying out different things.

I don't think we'll be adding dragons though. That would be like losing focus.
o. So I could make a module with a dragon?

Yay. The first flamewar of the Taleworlds forums. Congrats Worm and Co.

This "debate" is pointless anyway. Armagan's made it clear that he's not going the fantasy route. Not D&D fantasy, not "just one dragon" fantasy.

Nothing's stopping anyone from starting a fantasy mod. Instead of all this pointless flaming, why not start planning one out?

Tiedye said:
Yay. The first flamewar of the Taleworlds forums. Congrats Worm and Co.

This "debate" is pointless anyway. Armagan's made it clear that he's not going the fantasy route. Not D&D fantasy, not "just one dragon" fantasy.

Nothing's stopping anyone from starting a fantasy mod. Instead of all this pointless flaming, why not start planning one out?

Actually, the "debate" wasn't at all pointless. Just the way it was conducted. Plus if you look earlier, Armagan said he was taking the "low fantasy" route.

Worm said:
Psh, from a historical stand point women warriors were only slightly more present than dragons.

Maybe that's why you don't get any women warriors in the bands of pirates, raiders, bandits and knights? If you (like me) are currently playing a female protagonist, you have to assume that she is unique.

And if it makes you feel any better I can name her Jean d'Arc.

In my humble opinion, every game has it's own feeling. Mount & Blade has this Early-Medieval-Times feeling, just look at Zendar from the inside: a couple of merchants centered around a drinking house and an arena. Bandits scouring the countryside. Steppe bandits and Black Khergits plagueing the northern part of the land. Two major factions fighting a bloody and brutal war.

There simply is no place for dragons and sorcery.

Make it so there's a random encounter on the world map where an '83 DeLorian materialises inbetween you and the enemy leaving behind a trail of fire and then gets hit with a stray arrow.

Kynes said:
Make it so there's a random encounter on the world map where an '83 DeLorian materialises inbetween you and the enemy leaving behind a trail of fire and then gets hit with a stray arrow.

Yes! It could even spin off a side quest, where you have to find parts to repair the flux capacitor!

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Worm said:
Psh, from a historical stand point women warriors were only slightly more present than dragons.

Maybe that's why you don't get any women warriors in the bands of pirates, raiders, bandits and knights? If you (like me) are currently playing a female protagonist, you have to assume that she is unique.

And if it makes you feel any better I can name her Jean d'Arc.
Yeah, in all my arguments I flailed once. I do though think that female slaves should sell for more. ~_~

Mordhak said:
In my humble opinion, every game has it's own feeling. Mount & Blade has this Early-Medieval-Times feeling, just look at Zendar from the inside: a couple of merchants centered around a drinking house and an arena. Bandits scouring the countryside. Steppe bandits and Black Khergits plagueing the northern part of the land. Two major factions fighting a bloody and brutal war.

There simply is no place for dragons and sorcery.
Well, I think it has the feel of King Arthur or Beowulf, and that some low key fantasy elements could fit in. You look at every other fantasy game and tell me that a dragon is somehow 100% TOO MUCH FANTASY. It's like I'm suggesting Planes here.

Tiedye said:
Kynes said:

Yes! It could even spin off a side quest, where you have to find parts to repair the flux capacitor!
I'd love for this to have some sort of random encounters even if they aren't totally insane like in the Fallout series.

Back
Top Bottom