NAFNGIFT – get a period name

Users who are viewing this thread

Thank you for this explanation :smile:

I'm not sure if among gaelic people calling by nicknames was common, but if I get to the event I'd like to play as Magnus Catcun

Brythonic people :wink:. The Cumbrians, like the Welsh, the Cornish and the Picts (and the Bretons, in modern France), were Brythonic. The Irish and the Manx were Gaelic. The Scots were a mix, but the elites were Gaelic, and Scottish culture became more and more Gaelicized around this era.

A Latin nickname wouldn't have been impossible, I suppose.

hrotha said:
Brythonic people :wink:. The Cumbrians, like the Welsh, the Cornish and the Picts (and the Bretons, in modern France), were Brythonic. The Irish and the Manx were Gaelic. The Scots were a mix, but the elites were Gaelic, and Scottish culture became more and more Gaelicized around this era.
Eh, I played Brytenwalda, I even read many articles on Wikipedia, but I still can't get who is celtic, brythonic or whatever :razz:

Hello I want to make a change to my name Denegils se Árcræftiga

I want to add another byname in addition to Árcræftiga, Hornungsunu ( Bastard so to say Honorable Bastard)

How can I do it? Should I make them one word (Árcræftighornungsuna??) or keep each one seperated (Árcræftiga Hornungsunu?)

I think the most natural order would be Denegils Hornungsunu se Árcræftiga, but that would be slightly different to what you want to convey (it would make hornungsunu and árcræftig separate and independent epithets). So I guess what you want would be se Árcræftiga Hornungsunu.

Personally I like modern names more. Some of the old names really require some translastion. Like Onuist = Angus. I personally prefer moders names like Owen, Angus, Robert etc.  I just feel like sometimes I am more busy reading and translating names than actually knowing who killed me. But I guess that is my short comming.

I've heard that you change Warband or your computer language, it has to be Warband considering the computer language doesn't affect it. I'm going to test it now, wait for my edit.

No luck

Jean_a_Normandie said:
It's an ancient Fyrningas secret.

No seriously, they won't tell anyone.

That's a great way of maintaining the community's interest in period names... Maybe we should just show up online as '88hitler88' or 'urmotherscock'?

I asked twice about it but I was ignored (or not noticed). I've tried a lot myself but I'm not so leet with coding stuff. Isn't there any of the Englisc that will teach us their tongue? We come in peace!

I know how to do it gloatsneer; have done for a very long time. The information is available elsewhere in the TaleWorlds forum if you're really determined to find out now and now how to achieve proper characters.

I've often thought long and hard about releasing the information and it's a double-edged sword unfortunately. Whilst I fully reckon the absolute majority would choose appropriate names, there will always be a minority who'll take up 0ð½ííí&&&&&zzzznnn-type mockeries. The effort to edit the name though is quite large and requires third party hex-editors and sufficient knowledge of ASCII/ALT, plus it takes the whole of three seconds to kick a player from the server with a silly name. It's really no different to players who currently connect with ****ty names. I've never seen it as particularly fair to withhold this information from the public  on the above grounds - afterall, the Fyrningas are not the only players here with an interest in authentic names and Scandinavian/Englisc history.

I'll see what can be done later this afternoon when I finish work, gloat.

The "Fyrning secret" thing is just a running gag, I hope. We're not the only ones with hexed names out there. :razz:

And it's not true that we don't tell anyone - we just don't do it in public. There's a good reason for this, as if I'm not mistaken names can be hexed in a certain way so that the admins can't kick you (for anyone out there feeling like trying it out: they can still ban you).

Then I apologise, hroða, for inferring it upon your group; that is the perception that I've always had, even as developer, I'm sure you can see why it perhaps seems that way.

Is there really a problem though if the player can still be banned? He'll probably learn quicker to change his name anyway if a ban took prominence over the kick in certain naming cases.

Well, you can be banned, but if I'm not wrong it has to be done manually, it's pretty inconvenient, and I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it only worked the next time you tried to join the server. Of course, I doubt this would be a common problem. Only a small fraction of the total amount of players with hexed names would misuse it, and only a small fraction of those would try to pull this off.

blitzking said:
To any of you linguistics experts out there, I am wondering how nicknames work in Old Norse. I am trying to translate the name "Hámundr the Vend" to Old Norse, but am not sure how to do it grammatically correctly.
If I'm not mistaken, it should be Hámundr inn Vindr.

We call it a secret, but I always told people who really wanted it to add me on Steam, where I would help them. Only a few actually ever did.

The danger of this power unbridled goes beyond the difficulty of banning certain players.

In one of the few cases of a player showing up with special characters in his name without the help of any of us Fyrnings, he wasn’t using it for an authentic name, but to have his entire name made up of outlandish characters. I was admin and he didn’t respond to any of my messages, whether he was actively ignoring me or because he really didn’t realise I was talking to him as I wasn't able to recreate his name in chat and get his attention. Either way, it was exactly the kind of situation I had wanted to avoid: severe lack of communication between admin and player (and of course between player and player).

It seems your secrecy has it's reasons after all. I can assure you I disapprove of name trolls as much as you do. One thing why I love this mod & community (as far as I've seen) is because of this.

The term 'hex editor' works miracles in the search engine. Now at least I know what I'm looking for. I'll try to bring my quest to Get a Period Name to a good end, but if I don't find it on myself, the Englisc can expect a weary eardstapa knocking on the mead-hall's door!

Thanks for the concern Leifr and Fyrninga!

Wanderer,

It is nice to see people opting for authentic period names. You can add me on Steam (just do a search for Fyrninga and you'll find me) or send me a PM with the name you want to use, and I can help you get those special characters.

not sure if this is the right place but is the name "Loftr in Mikla" proper name or have I made a mistake?  translated it should say Loftr the big and great, that is what I made based off the linked sites.

Back
Top Bottom