My view of the MP as an Alpha tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

It was insanely common for people to cheat and I say it as someone who played comp for years. Veteran players hit their skill cap and started toggling and their friends would hide it. Not to repeat old arguments but Maximou for example.

This thread isn't about cheating players in warband but the flaws of the combat with bannerlord. As I've said, pre-made classes aren't great, but they work for some gamemodes like skirmish. Others don't really work and pre-made classes begin to feel repetitive and boring. And in regards to the skirmish point, it is completely true. One of the major reasons I've stopped playing MP is because:

A) The combat is pretty flawed.
B) Optimisation is all over the place and half the time I struggle to run an MP gams on the lowest settings.
C) Only real gamemode I properly enjoy is Siege for a laugh & skirmish for fighting. But skirmish seemingly has been ruined because you're either on the clan side of steamrolling and it is just 'eh we won', or on the losing side and get slaughtered, which makes you rage and not have fun.

I have played every Mount & Blade, Warband, Fire and Sword, Napoleonic, Viking Conquest, and I Beta tested this game... this OP is totally 100% right...
The classes make no sense, why take away customization? Did the person who put the combos for the classes together ever play the game?
Why is the combat sluggish and laggy? Why isn't it as smooth as warband?
Why can't we have custom banners? Why can't we switch teams?
Why can't I see my party members highlighted or something?

Choosing to add private-servers and presumably also more multiplayer-features later and more closely to the full release is very discouraging from a clans point of view. Nevertheless I tried out to make an event for my clans today.

Are private servers too much to ask for?

I reached out to Captain Lust (one of the devs) in jan 2017 and told him what would be neat and needed for multiplayer in cases of communities. Sure, I was speaking for the german-speaking NW Community of approx. 1.400 players, but atleast we talked to each other beforehand and gathered clear statements. I was told back then, that the community will be thrilled and that clans as such will not be forgotten and will have features to use.
098748DCA6048DC1AFACE9A4245EAB35823C0EB3
0F77671FBAD07D693A31BDC9EE2EC08536ABD59D

I know the game is not out yet - But it is a real shame that the multiplayer tends to be so more casual.
Why can´t we have duel server to really check out the games combat system?
Why can´t we have a simple battle server to get a group-friendly environment?

Do we really have to wait until the game is released and or fully moddable as mentioned in a quote from the 28th of april 2016 from a well known magazine?
RPS: You’ve mentioned elsewhere that modding support is important to you. What are your plans for Bannerlord modding?

Yavuz: The modding scene is something that we are really fortunate to have. We’re blessed with a great community, and the modding tools are one of the things that we want to develop as much as possible and to the highest possible standards. We were able to draw a lot of lessons from the things that we did and didn’t do well with the previous games, so we’re fixing some of the mistakes and coming up with a much better system.

There is a very rich scene editor that people can use and we’ll also have very powerful scripting tool, written in C#. The goal is to make sure that even after the game is released, we’ll be able to patch and change things, with as little effect on the mods as possible. And further to that, we’re trying to come up with a system that makes it possible for different mods to work together.

The community also creates lots of fanfiction – the world is important to them and we’re making it richer this time around. The lore isn’t at the forefront though and part of the reason that it’s not so pronounced is that the game also works a bit different each time you play. Part of the lore becomes your own personal history. In Bannerlord, there’s more dialogue, more small stories and more interesting characters, but each player’s experience of the game will be unique. We build algorithms that enable narrative rather than scripts.

I can only wonder.
Hopefully we can inform the devs nicely of our demands/wishes by writing so many posts.

From a community leaders standpoint to me the following is clear (not talking about before mentioned limits as the game is unfinished)
Whats good:
+ Good that you can see players names by pressing left+alt and command posts/flags for orientating.
+ Nice teambased gameplay especially in siege with siege tools

+ You can create parties as it makes things easier for newcomers

Whats bad:

- No chance to create profiles nor ability to customize names / banners outside steam.
- Not a chance to join via steam
- One can only add 5 players in a group to join games matchmaking.

- Set player limits within gamemodes

Luckily my event turned out fine and I even managed to get more than 20 ppl on the same siege server team.

197C9737CC4C06C8C544BE38159207727BBDAE09
34AEF6A7C3C078A189B1F5F8C635D2B4F506E893

Hope the MP gets a boost soon.

It was insanely common for people to cheat and I say it as someone who played comp for years. Veteran players hit their skill cap and started toggling and their friends would hide it. Not to repeat old arguments but Maximou for example.
lol. Most of the cheaters I encountered were actually just casual players wanting to **** around on mercenaries. All the actual cheaters were kicked out of comp scene quickly

Last edited:
MP definitely need changes but 40-45 of my friends playing Bannerlord yet only a few of them playing multi right now so I believe MP experience needs to wait until they fix single-player. I totally agree with you for most of the aspects especially customization part MP really lacks customization I want to be naked god damn it is it too much to ask for?

I mean at this point anyone who played a bit Warband can tell that this system is just bad. I did not have a chance to play alpha, nor beta, but it's baffling to me that TaleWorlds thinks this is a way to go.
Multiplayer is at this point super lackluster and it just makes me even more frustrated when they have working system in singleplayer, yet they refuse to implement it into multiplayer, just like in Warband.
It feels like they are scared or just unwilling to give us more options. And that just makes me even more angry about it. Like holy smokes who the F thought that streamlining everything is a good way to go.

Last edited:
lol. Most of the cheaters I encountered were actually just casual players wanting to **** around on mercenaries. All the actual cheaters were kicked out of comp scene quickly
Mercs was where people tested their cheats before they went native and I dont think you guys picked up as many as you think. For example though, Quake is not a legit player, Hagrid was confirmed cheating, Matafiks of the same team has not been legit for a long time, yes Caius, Maximou was cheating and the reason none of us respect Unity is the constant lying and covering for your friends. Not to mention a ton of players using macro feints and the fact that most of the unknown russians went Finna, Mercs then native comp, we had to record and ban half of them. Watch some of these guys in bannerlord though early on, because it has some form of anti cheat and the mechanics arent changed enough that people will suddenly not know how to fight and I gurantee there will be a huge difference.

Mercs was where people tested their cheats before they went native and I dont think you guys picked up as many as you think. For example though, Quake is not a legit player, Hagrid was confirmed cheating, Matafiks of the same team has not been legit for a long time, yes Caius, Maximou was cheating and the reason none of us respect Unity is the constant lying and covering for your friends. Not to mention a ton of players using macro feints and the fact that most of the unknown russians went Finna, Mercs then native comp, we had to record and ban half of them. Watch some of these guys in bannerlord though early on, because it has some form of anti cheat and the mechanics arent changed enough that people will suddenly not know how to fight and I gurantee there will be a huge difference.

I don't have anything against you Bradley and you know I like you a lot, but most of the "cheating" videos that were submitted to the mercs admin team by you or the fantastic lads you surround yourself with were hilarious at best. Literally one out of 20 was indeed a cheater, and at the minimal chance that someone (known player or not) did something weird it looked as if you treated it as certified proof of someone cheating and therefore had to be reported.

The OT kids accused me of cheating because I was in Mercenary Franks discord as 'LaPache's Dad' and tried to get me banned from mercs hahahahaha go back to mercs lad. Not every good player cheats, just because you and your friends are stuck at the same average level of skill its not our fault. & Maximou even admitted to trying to cheat and was even too stupid to do that, i guess its hard to install DLL's lol. Trying to cheat and actually cheating are two different things.

Inappropriate behavior
The OT kids accused me of cheating because I was in Mercenary Franks discord as 'LaPache's Dad' and tried to get me banned from mercs hahahahaha go back to mercs lad. Not every good player cheats, just because you and your friends are stuck at the same average level of skill its not our fault. & Maximou even admitted to trying to cheat and was even too stupid to do that, i guess its hard to install DLL's lol. Trying to cheat and actually cheating are two different things.
<snip>

I don't have anything against you Bradley and you know I like you a lot, but most of the "cheating" videos that were submitted to the mercs admin team by you or the fantastic lads you surround yourself with were hilarious at best. Literally one out of 20 was indeed a cheater, and at the minimal chance that someone (known player or not) did something weird it looked as if you treated it as certified proof of someone cheating and therefore had to be reported.
Yeah no harm done, we are friends ofc and your view is always welcome. Ill acknowledge that we didnt always get it right and apologise for that but Ill stand by what I said. Not getting into it further though since I dont wanna derail Captains thread (For around the third time, sorry!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The point people keep making about there being a lack of customization on Bannerlord compared to Warband is completely overblown. Once the metas were established in Warband, nobody deviated from them anyway up until the game died. The variety came from CRPG and mercs. Ive been around since Warband beta and by and large, the community has been toxic, completely uncooperative, adverse to any sort of change and half of them resorted to cheating anyway, I dont blame the devs for lumping everyone together and not wanting to listen when the community has shown that they cant self regulate - Bradley

That being said, customization isn't just the load outs people take. Most people when they complain about customization are talking about the lack of it in regards to making your character unique. This includes more diversity when it comes to the armor types (helmets, mail, plate, leather, etc...), all of the different banners that could be used for your coat of arms, colors, different types of shields, etc...

We should be able to customize our characters in a similar fashion that we're able to in SP even if that means the class system stays the same. We don't have to completely cut out the new system or vice versa, there should be at least some sort of happy median between the two.

There are no hitbox problems OP. Check them in singleplayer. Do you really think they use different and "broken" hitboxes in MP? If you experience that it's due to your ping and the fact that when you swing locally, that's not automatically where the server has you and your game state at simulatenously. Mostly you have a singleplayer-like experience if you have a good connection, and with good in a fast-paced authoritative server-based game I mean mostly a ping of <20. I have a ping of 5-7 have *not once* seen any hitbox problem and virtually no delays/differences to singleplayer. On the plus-side with this particular networking architecture where the server sanctions every action before sending the result back to the players there are virtually no cheats possible, will never in a million years be any speedhax or the like, and with BL's combat system feint spam scripts also don't make a lot of sense. Sweetspot imo. Happy to discuss with you, when it's mostly you and not you+all your buddies from "way back" hacking away at me in the process of it. Otherwise, just take it as one reaction to your review.

Back
Top Bottom