SP - General [MP Game Mode] - Generals Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

AxiosXiphos

Sergeant Knight
jXSsvEQ.jpg

I posted this topic awhile back in the beta suggestions forum. I still like it though and would be interested to see what people make of it now! I would love to see a matchmaking game mode for 1vs1 or 2vs2 captains mode where each player controls a number of units; a full army like single player. Battle would then proceed largely as a normal captains mode game but with much more strategic depth on a player level.

This is how I see it working;

GENERALS MODE

- Game would begin much like a regular captains mode game. Except each player would receive a number of 'selection points' (4 to 6) to pick their regiments.

- Each 'selection point' would equate to one regiment of the unit per the normal unit quantities in a regular captains game.

- Every round players would select each unit for their army in turn and pick their perks until they have used all their points.

- The player would then either play as a member of their first regiment or as a generic 'General' unit type for each faction until killed (at which point they would take control of a unit as normal).

- Instead of three flags only one would be present each game round, either spawning at the start of the game round or alternatively after a few minutes have passed. Either way this would be to avoid players corner camping. *Edited*

- First to three wins takes the game as normal.

REASONING

I believe this would be a strong suggestion for a game mode for a few reasons;

Easy to implement and balance: Aside from the unit picking step it will follow the exact same structure, maps and balancing as captains mode. It would not require a considerable effort to implement or to upkeep if captains mode continues to be updated; it would follow suit exactly with any changes.

It mimics single player: One thing that has always been lacking from the M&B multiplayer experience is the true scale and feel of the single player game. Even captains mode is very little parallel to a battle in the normal game. Generals mode would give players a multiplayer experience that mimics how they play offline. I believe it would be a much bigger draw for players who consider themselves 'single player only' which is a big part of the community.

Matchmaking would be easier: The biggest benefit of online gaming is also its biggest flaw - other people. Having to rely on teamates for every captains mode game you play is not always perfect. They can often leave the game, go AFK for half the round, run off on their own and not play as a team or simply type abuse at their team until everyone is sick. I love multiplayer games but a mode such as this would take away all of these frustrations for those put off by this.

Ranking makes more sense and would be fairer: If you ever wanted to truly add a competitive game mode to M&B then this would be perfect. It combines all the tactical depth of the main game but still relies on the individual player skill of the multiplayer. Not to mention players can play on their own merits without worrying about their team.

All those order commands have real value and use: Often times many of the formations/commands in captains mode are more of a gimmick then of real value. After all much of the game units will be tailing after their commander regardless. However think how much more value shield walls, infantry squares, loose archer formations, advancing formations and cavalry cycles charges will be when the player is commanding every unit. You will start to see real strategy and depth develop.

Back
Top Bottom