Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest DLC (Release Date: 11th December)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wow. This thread went in crazy directions since last I visited. Once again, behind a spoiler button...

For those arguing against skill being of importance, let's just chuck out some myths.

Myth 1: an engagement with edged weapons requires lots of muscles. Well, yes, if the weapon in question is 4 foot of longblade, but those aren't very good weapons in a pitched battle. They require enormous amounts of room to be anywhere near effective. If you're lost, go grab a broom handle, some friends, and tell 'em to crowd in on you. Now try to actually hit any of them. Hint: you won't; you just won't.

Converse, and myth debunked: an engagement with a blade less than 3 foot in length (less than 1 meter), one that is fullered to increase its strength and reduce its weight, reduces the need for strength and increases the need of skill, speed, and agility.

Myth 2: 'sword fights' were long drawn-out affairs.

Converse and myth debunked: back in the days when it was 'for real' two people met over blades and one of 'em was mortally or seriously wounded only *seconds* later. In the crush on a battlefield, people died or went down really fast. It wasn't strength that kept anyone alive. Speed and skill were all that mattered. Even today that's so: back when I was messing with a basket-hilt broadsword, my bouts never, ever ran over a minute, and more commonly lasted less than 20 seconds (single touch. First to three, etc. is playacting). More recently I've been having fun with a round shield and Ulfberht-type blade (Hurstwic Viking Combat. Look it up). Even in a press, I 'kill' in under a minute (and if the DLC devs read this: please go look up Hurstwic, especially shield usage. Thanks).

You're all forgetting that Vikings and other folk of the day were NOT the giants we think them to be. Along with living longer, we've gotten taller, and ask some guys with big muscles just how much they eat. Newsflash: around 900AD there were no dietitians, and no muscle supplements, and having enough food was a constant worry. What muscle anyone had in those days was acquired through work.

Which brings me to this point: if you must insist that strength is the first requirement to wield a sword or spear, I'm afraid you've lost that argument against women. It's redundant: as someone else mentioned, the women of those days would likely 'wreck' the average man today (barehanded, I might add), because they engaged regularly in heavy physical labour.

Further, there was mention of armour being heavy. Yes, it is. But I promise that if you wear a 24kg 6-in-1 hauberk every day for just a week, and do nothing but walk around in it, you'll end up a helluva lot fitter at the end of that week. Just make sure that you have a good wide belt to help bear some of the weight, or your shoulders will *die*. I speak from experience. My only complaint was rather sore feet, but I got used to that rather quickly, too.

Lastly, there's the nature of women under threat. If any woman knows herself capable of self-defence, woe betide the person who intends her harm. We are vicious, ruthless, we bring the hurt without mercy. There goes that silly "But women are nurturers!" argument. Threaten those we care for, threaten us individually, and if we know how to fight, we don't stop until the threat's been reduced to something bloody and pathetic, and quite possibly dead.

Subtract a few hundred years, train a woman to fight, and what you have is someone who kills quickly, without hesitation, and is more than adequate to the task of looking after things at home while the men are off fighting somewhere.

Please note: this does not mean that shieldmaidens fought as regular Viking troops. But please, if you have no experience of historically accurate bladeplay/simulated combat with *forged* weapons (as opposed to crappy spring steel ones), just drop the BS "Skill wasn't as important as strength!" argument. Anyone who makes that argument looks a right tosser from where I'm sitting, because I'm 5'3"/1.6m, do not have big muscles, but the men who've faced me over blades have all been of the opinion that they're rather glad the bouts weren't 'for real'.

Have a nice day.

Tannith :mrgreen: i totally agree with all you have said before. I'm bored of people who believe in nothing except archeology and their beliefs, history is not only archeology, for some people nothing is believable, saxo grammaticus is **** wikipedia is ****, myths seems to come from nowhere... girls can't  fight and all that ****... They says there is no facts and they argue about counterfactualism, maybe if we build a time travel machine and make a video they will listen to our arguments :cry:

Tannith said:
Wow. This thread went in crazy directions since last I visited. Once again, behind a spoiler button...

For those arguing against skill being of importance, let's just chuck out some myths.

Myth 1: an engagement with edged weapons requires lots of muscles. Well, yes, if the weapon in question is 4 foot of longblade, but those aren't very good weapons in a pitched battle. They require enormous amounts of room to be anywhere near effective. If you're lost, go grab a broom handle, some friends, and tell 'em to crowd in on you. Now try to actually hit any of them. Hint: you won't; you just won't.

Converse, and myth debunked: an engagement with a blade less than 3 foot in length (less than 1 meter), one that is fullered to increase its strength and reduce its weight, reduces the need for strength and increases the need of skill, speed, and agility.

Myth 2: 'sword fights' were long drawn-out affairs.

Converse and myth debunked: back in the days when it was 'for real' two people met over blades and one of 'em was mortally or seriously wounded only *seconds* later. In the crush on a battlefield, people died or went down really fast. It wasn't strength that kept anyone alive. Speed and skill were all that mattered. Even today that's so: back when I was messing with a basket-hilt broadsword, my bouts never, ever ran over a minute, and more commonly lasted less than 20 seconds (single touch. First to three, etc. is playacting). More recently I've been having fun with a round shield and Ulfberht-type blade (Hurstwic Viking Combat. Look it up). Even in a press, I 'kill' in under a minute (and if the DLC devs read this: please go look up Hurstwic, especially shield usage. Thanks).

You're all forgetting that Vikings and other folk of the day were NOT the giants we think them to be. Along with living longer, we've gotten taller, and ask some guys with big muscles just how much they eat. Newsflash: around 900AD there were no dietitians, and no muscle supplements, and having enough food was a constant worry. What muscle anyone had in those days was acquired through work.

Which brings me to this point: if you must insist that strength is the first requirement to wield a sword or spear, I'm afraid you've lost that argument against women. It's redundant: as someone else mentioned, the women of those days would likely 'wreck' the average man today (barehanded, I might add), because they engaged regularly in heavy physical labour.

Further, there was mention of armour being heavy. Yes, it is. But I promise that if you wear a 24kg 6-in-1 hauberk every day for just a week, and do nothing but walk around in it, you'll end up a helluva lot fitter at the end of that week. Just make sure that you have a good wide belt to help bear some of the weight, or your shoulders will *die*. I speak from experience. My only complaint was rather sore feet, but I got used to that rather quickly, too.

Lastly, there's the nature of women under threat. If any woman knows herself capable of self-defence, woe betide the person who intends her harm. We are vicious, ruthless, we bring the hurt without mercy. There goes that silly "But women are nurturers!" argument. Threaten those we care for, threaten us individually, and if we know how to fight, we don't stop until the threat's been reduced to something bloody and pathetic, and quite possibly dead.

Subtract a few hundred years, train a woman to fight, and what you have is someone who kills quickly, without hesitation, and is more than adequate to the task of looking after things at home while the men are off fighting somewhere.

Please note: this does not mean that shieldmaidens fought as regular Viking troops. But please, if you have no experience of historically accurate bladeplay/simulated combat with *forged* weapons (as opposed to crappy spring steel ones), just drop the BS "Skill wasn't as important as strength!" argument. Anyone who makes that argument looks a right tosser from where I'm sitting, because I'm 5'3"/1.6m, do not have big muscles, but the men who've faced me over blades have all been of the opinion that they're rather glad the bouts weren't 'for real'.

Have a nice day.

You have a point about combat length, all is very quickly done in real life, no fancy hollywood moves: the first who makes the mistake is cut down, and a mistake between two persons with a skill gap is a matter of seconds indeed.

It's also right that medieval people were a lot shorter than us today or Ancient people. When I went to Olso museums I was shocked by the ridiculously small size of the bed they used in late medieval times. The guys of that time were very short persons, yeah.

But late antiquity Celts or Ancient Germans, for example, are proved to be the very tall and massive individuals the Romans talked about. A recent mass grave found in Northern France shows a lot of young warriors burried with their weapons and they are between 1.70 to 1.90 m. I do not know about Ancient Norses though.

But we have this saxon testimony of the battle of Stamford Bridge (1066) talking about this massive Norwegian giant blocking and defending the small bridge until a Saxon went underneath then stabbed him in the groin with his spear. Strenght DO make the difference between two equally skilled persons. It also gives a psycological advantage: when you fear a blow you're already lost. And finally, you are what you eat. You can't grow any muscles without consumming food (the most the better) or proteines. You can work how you want, if you don't eat enough, you'll lose weight and grow no big.

By the way, my grandma worked hard all her young years in the fields and many other farming tasks, and all the good it gave her is back issues. People back then died around 30 from diseases or bad physical conditions, so I don't think  1.60m crooked woman from Iron Age would beat any nowadays' sportsman, sorry. "Work" from farming or outside activities gives no "superior" muscle than gym, work is work, no matter what you lift, the effect is the same.

If actual combat was that fast, battles wouldn't have lasted for hours, often with very few casualties until a rout occurred. I don't think you can compare 1 vs 1 or fights in small groups in a reenactment context to an actual pitched battle where people would behave very differently since the stakes would be much higher. There'd be lulls in the fighting, and yes, stamina would be a key factor.

Also, Armaury, did you even know who Saxo was before this debate started? He's not a **** source, but his historicity for the earliest periods he's reporting on is very much in doubt.

Adorno said:
LordCanute said:
I'm not sure who to talk to, but I create scenes for a mod called a clash of kings. If you guys are short on hands, I wouldn't mind creating a few scenes for your mod in my spare time.
Here are a few scenes i conjured up recently for reference:
http://postimg.org/image/a215qalf1/
http://postimg.org/image/bwe0818fh/
http://postimg.org/image/3pm0ggict/
Thank you, but we have no need for outside help. And since it's not a modification but a DLC there would be some contractual issues.

I realise there are several questions I haven't answered, and it's mostly because it's too soon and some features might still change.
However we plan on showing you more of the DLC.
Huh, I thought the DLC was almost done?

Yeah thats what I thought as well.

I had my horned helmet and  snacks ready  :cry:

Noooooooo i hate early announcements can't you announce it 1 second before release so i don't keep looking at the forums 2 times a day?
I don't even know how long its been since bannerlord got announced and now i have to keep looking here too  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Armaury said:
Tannith :mrgreen: i totally agree with all you have said before. I'm bored of people who believe in nothing except archeology and their beliefs, history is not only archeology, for some people nothing is believable, saxo grammaticus is **** wikipedia is ****, myths seems to come from nowhere... girls can't  fight and all that ****... They says there is no facts and they argue about counterfactualism, maybe if we build a time travel machine and make a video they will listen to our arguments :cry:

Oy, you're the one who said something about hoping that dream Valkyries would rape people in their sleep, or some other rot. Please think about why that was wrong, then talk to me again.

hrotha said:
If actual combat was that fast, battles wouldn't have lasted for hours, often with very few casualties until a rout occurred. I don't think you can compare 1 vs 1 or fights in small groups in a reenactment context to an actual pitched battle where people would behave very differently since the stakes would be much higher. There'd be lulls in the fighting, and yes, stamina would be a key factor.

Also, Armaury, did you even know who Saxo was before this debate started? He's not a **** source, but his historicity for the earliest periods he's reporting on is very much in doubt.

Agreed emphatically, re: Saxo.

Manu_La_Canette said:
You have a point about combat length, all is very quickly done in real life, no fancy hollywood moves: the first who makes the mistake is cut down, and a mistake between two persons with a skill gap is a matter of seconds indeed.

It's also right that medieval people were a lot shorter than us today or Ancient people. When I went to Olso museums I was shocked by the ridiculously small size of the bed they used in late medieval times. The guys of that time were very short persons, yeah.

But late antiquity Celts or Ancient Germans, for example, are proved to be the very tall and massive individuals the Romans talked about. A recent mass grave found in Northern France shows a lot of young warriors burried with their weapons and they are between 1.70 to 1.90 m. I do not know about Ancient Norses though.

But we have this saxon testimony of the battle of Stamford Bridge (1066) talking about this massive Norwegian giant blocking and defending the small bridge until a Saxon went underneath then stabbed him in the groin with his spear. Strenght DO make the difference between two equally skilled persons. It also gives a psycological advantage: when you fear a blow you're already lost. And finally, you are what you eat. You can't grow any muscles without consumming food (the most the better) or proteines. You can work how you want, if you don't eat enough, you'll lose weight and grow no big.

By the way, my grandma worked hard all her young years in the fields and many other farming tasks, and all the good it gave her is back issues. People back then died around 30 from diseases or bad physical conditions, so I don't think  1.60m crooked woman from Iron Age would beat any nowadays' sportsman, sorry. "Work" from farming or outside activities gives no "superior" muscle than gym, work is work, no matter what you lift, the effect is the same.

Hey, would you have faced your grandma, in her prime, if she was mad at you and had a rolling pin close at hand? :grin:  My great-grandmother was someone who did everything from shoeing horses to ploughing fields behind three huge Shire horses. Two of her sons (my great uncles) became blacksmiths. One of those men was killed in WWI, but the other was around when I was growing up, and he told tales of trying very hard never to anger his mother. Thing is, when I was little I only had photos of her as reference, and there was this tiny little old lady dwarfed by my 7-foot great uncle (no I dunno what happened and why I turned out so damn short. Maybe I should blame Great-grandma). These days I fully believe that when she was in her prime, Great-grandma was likely a force to be reckoned with.

Seriously, I quite agree, re: hard labour doing a helluva lot of physical harm, but it's harm accrued over time. Someone young, fit, and wiry, with (perhaps) the start of a future bad back, is not someone I'd want to mess with (no matter their gender). Put a blade in their hands and have someone else tell me that they know how to use that blade, and I'd run away. I'm sure grannies would've tried to help fight off attackers, but only much younger, stronger women would've had any success.

Your mention of Stamford and the "groin-pricking" incident-- that's an example of skill besting strength. In the Sagas we come up with a lot of 'battle feats', such as striking at the throat with a shield edge, while also thrusting a sword in underneath: smart move, and again, skill beats strength.

On the whole, this is what I wish--
~ that female warriors cease to be portrayed in skimpy outfits (GRRR!)
~ that female warriors cease to be considered common. They existed, but not in any great number, not even in Scythian societies, and that there is saying something (there's a reason why Jeanne d'Arc is considered special, and really, the whole sent-by-God thing has little to do with it: she was a woman who took up arms and *led* an army, a very rare occurrence)
~ and that the possibility/idea of female warriors should be hit with a chunk of realism: in all reality, women were trained to fight (as I've said before, how not?), but they were not trained for war. For the most part they stayed at home and defended those homes and their children and older relatives. And that's not a 'sexist' thing to say. Home defence was a vital aspect of survival.

Tannith said:
~ that female warriors cease to be considered common. They existed, but not in any great number, not even in Scythian societies, and that there is saying something (there's a reason why Jeanne d'Arc is considered special, and really, the whole sent-by-God thing has little to do with it: she was a woman who took up arms and *led* an army, a very rare occurrence)
~ and that the possibility/idea of female warriors should be hit with a chunk of realism: in all reality, women were trained to fight (as I've said before, how not?), but they were not trained for war. For the most part they stayed at home and defended those homes and their children and older relatives. And that's not a 'sexist' thing to say. Home defence was a vital aspect of survival.[/spoiler]

I agree on every point.

I agree too, but it should be noted that poor Jehanne claimed she didn't actually fight personally. She carried a standard and didn't kill nobody.

DiglettMcD said:
hoe12moe said:
DiglettMcD said:
Obviously he meant that only those privileged enough on Brytenwalda will be allowed to contribute in case outsiders taint the DLC and all of its majestic glory.
ACOK is a pretty well made mod

Not joking (for once)

I refuse to download ACOCK because of its author.  So I wouldn't know.
Why is there so much hate for cozur? He seems like an alright guy.

Tannith said:
~ and that the possibility/idea of female warriors should be hit with a chunk of realism: in all reality, women were trained to fight (as I've said before, how not?), but they were not trained for war. For the most part they stayed at home and defended those homes and their children and older relatives. And that's not a 'sexist' thing to say. Home defence was a vital aspect of survival.

I thought the number for Scythian and Sarmatian grave finds was something like 20%. 20% of huge hordes spanning a continent, I would not call uncommon. These figures and the similar figures now being found at a range of viking sites drive home the disparity between gender roles in antiquity and those in the 15th century, when Joan's role was a complete novelty. I'm sure that the contexts in which men and women would fight were different and the "masculine" grave finds don't equate the occupants' role with those of males, but in both societies, fighting in war doesn't seem to have been forbidden for women. I think in both cases (a bit of context; the Greeks thought the Eastern Baltic was populated by Sarmatians), women's role at home prevented them from waging distant wars or going on distant raids.

A woman arrayed for war would (grave finds suggest) wear the same as a man, but not the special costume of male centric denominations like, presumably, the berserkers. If we believe the tale of Freydis, skimpy outfits might have been worn on occasions though.

:razz:

Guys, and girls, Brytenwalda is awesome, i bet VK will be even better. A question for the team working on this DLC, will lords from Britania travel on ships by sea  or its just for vikings, traders and pirates?

Can someone please read this:
There is one thing brytenwalda forgot to add, and it's such a big detail.
In brytenwalda when you are king and you want to give a vassal a fief, you talk to your minister and
it looks like this.

When it would be many times more helpful if it looked like this.

How can you keep track of which vassals need a fief if you have tons of fiefs being taken, lost and retaken?
It might be a good addition for viking conquest.

Back
Top Bottom