Mount & Blade Panoramic Mod v 2.0 [RELEASED] (updated 25/01/09)

Users who are viewing this thread

I like this, except for the dusk/dawn one.  Personally, I'd always preferred the vanilla one.

Gohda said:
I like this, except for the dusk/dawn one.  Personally, I'd always preferred the vanilla one.

I have this fixed and will release fix soon. The problem was the size of sunrise skydome mesh in vanilla skyboxes.brf - it was a lot smaller than the rest.

[Off topic mode on] Are you and Solecist same guys who were making Redux for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Or is it just a coincidence? :wink: [off topic mode off]

Not a coincidence.  :razz:  We've moved away from it and are now mostly just doing whatever, but yes we are.

Gohda said:
Not a coincidence.  :razz:  We've moved away from it and are now mostly just doing whatever, but yes we are.

[off topic mode on]

Damn, I knew it. :grin: I got fed up with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. an GSC forum some time ago as well. And CS was a huge disappointment for me. Not to mention some serious RL problems which struck me and stopped me from modding for SHoC. Nice to meet some familiar ppl here though. :smile:

I won't reveal my real name if you excuse, just in case that Kany's Hungarian curse would hunt me down...  :lol: I hope there's not such a similar character around here? :wink:

Ever thought about making Realism Enhancement for M&B? (not as flexible engine, I know - but heree are some tools at least)..

[off topic mode off]

Ron Losey over on MBX forums handles realism mods like that mostly.  Once he figures out the current mod version, you should be seeing alot of mods from MBX, since he contributes to quite a few of them.

Gohda said:
Ron Losey over on MBX forums handles realism mods like that mostly.  Once he figures out the current mod version, you should be seeing alot of mods from MBX, since he contributes to quite a few of them.

Cool. Good to know. I've seen some of Ron's stuff before but actually I was thinking about complete Realism overhaul. We'll see how it goes anyway. I'm looking forward to it. Cheers.

Speaking of which, I hacked together the vanilla sunset and your panorama so that I still have the whole sky but now I have your land.  :razz:

i just loaded this and the panoramic looks great in towns and in battle, but now the sky in the campaign screen is vomit green . . .

Strange.  That would most likely be the hills from the texture...  They looked fine to me, except not matching the background (Snow, water, etc), but that's only logical, since it's not dynamic.

Although, one way to fix THAT... maybe...

Witcher, think you can change up the sky.brf so that when in the worldmap, it references a different texture so that we can keep that as just plain sky?

i just remembered one other bit of weirdness, during a battle in a snow field, the edge of the screen was blank untextured white along the bottom edge below the sky, looked like the world just ceased

Gohda said:
Strange.  That would most likely be the hills from the texture...  They looked fine to me, except not matching the background (Snow, water, etc), but that's only logical, since it's not dynamic.

Although, one way to fix THAT... maybe...

Witcher, think you can change up the sky.brf so that when in the worldmap, it references a different texture so that we can keep that as just plain sky?

Well, yes. It might be the hill from sky texture that looks vomit green :lol: But I can't do anything with it for now. It's unfortunate trade off and until I'll find any solution you have to live with ugly map sky.. :sad:

I'll tell you how it works: textures and meshes are in skyboxes.brf. There are 4 settings: sunset, night, cloudy1(nice bright clouds) and cloudy2 (mouldy stormy sky). That's it. Nothing more.
Now. Map is using cloudy1 texture and skydome mesh. And it has nothing to do with brf file. At least as far as I know.
I couldn't find ANY setting either in brfs or in other map files which could allow me to change that. Unless..

There is a file called skyboxes.txt. This is actually the file which allows me to change sun elevation and colour, fog density, ambient light colour etc. for every skybox set. We have also some knowledge about tags used - they're governing when said setting should be applied (day/evening/night). I can only imagine that there's possibility to tag more dynamic changes (like snowy/plain/steppe setting). Maybe even fully dynamic weather with the sun travelling from East to West. And I'm betting that there's some setting to change global map skydome.
Unfortunately - I don't have a clue how said tags should be used in this file. It's all trial and error for now. Not to mention that tag list isn't complete. And honestly - even those informations might be outdated and referring to some older version.
I was PM-ing quite a bunch of people who were involved in examining of skyboxes.txt. And either I haven't got any answers or no one knows how to hack it.

As for now... Two more screenies for upcoming update - it's early morning sky which was clearly buggy in Panoramic 1.00. Now it looks a little different:

mb7Large-1.jpg

mb8Large-1.jpg

Fix should be out today or tomorrow.  :cool:

Didn't have much time today again... But I decided to try it in a quick&dirty way.

To explain you what I did: Not exactly modifying the outer terrain mesh but adding a circle around the outer terrain mesh in which you can add the stuff like mountains.

To make it short:

Pros:
+looks better than including the mountains into the skydome
+you can create different mountains or landscapes in the distance for different terrain types
+not much more performance intensive than including it into the skydome(had a 1024x256 texture, was of course too blurry, but you can get good results with textures not much bigger than 1mb, it was on a cylinde with no top and bottom which had 60 tris)

Cons:
-Needs an own texture(duh)
-needs an own material(again, duh)

Sorry, pics tomorrow. I'm in a hurry.

Soil said:
Didn't have much time today again... But I decided to try it in a quick&dirty way.

To explain you what I did: Not exactly modifying the outer terrain mesh but adding a circle around the outer terrain mesh in which you can add the stuff like mountains.

To make it short:

Pros:
+looks better than including the mountains into the skydome
+you can create different mountains or landscapes in the distance for different terrain types
+not much more performance intensive than including it into the skydome(had a 1024x256 texture, was of course too blurry, but you can get good results with textures not much bigger than 1mb, it was on a cylinde with no top and bottom which had 60 tris)

Cons:
-Needs an own texture(duh)
-needs an own material(again, duh)

Sorry, pics tomorrow. I'm in a hurry.

These are seriously some great news! Is it possible to include effects like fog or clouds with this method?
Could you send me modified brf or obj file so I could start working on materials and textures straight away?

Great stuff man! No worries with the rush.

As for now I've updated first post with new version download and list of bugfixes and some screenies. Most major updates are brf, txt and higher resolution textures. Feedback is welcome  - especially let me know is there any performance impact on weaker rigs due to bigger mesh and bigger textures.

Have fun folks!

Great, I like the rainbow on one of skyboxes! Downloading now...

By the way, TheWitcher are you Polish?  :razz: I discovered on one of screens, that your name is Marcin.

Pozdrowienia z Polski. :smile: Coraz więcej tu Polaków...

Kolba said:
Great, I like the rainbow on one of skyboxes! Downloading now...

By the way, TheWitcher are you Polish?  :razz: I discovered on one of screens, that your name is Marcin.

Pozdrowienia z Polski. :smile: Coraz więcej tu Polaków...

I am Polish indeed. :smile:

[foreign_gibberish_mode on]

A ja już wcześniej zauważyłem, żeś Polak, Kolba - na dodatek w jakimś Bractwie Rycerskim kolega się udziela? Czy to nie Twoja fotka?

Jeśli tylu Polaków tu się pojawia (a zauważyłem, że trochę nas jest) to może czas by się wziąć za jakiś mod poświęcony naszej rodzimej historii, co? Rozbicie Dzielnicowe, zmagania z Krzyżakami a może jakieś wcześniejsze dzieje? Programista ze mnie, jak z koziej rzyci gęśle ale o teksturki, modele i stronę fabularną mógłbym zadbać...

Pozdrowienia z Irlandii! :wink:

[foreign_gibberish_mode off]

Hey, can I have the source background that you used, the landscape and mountains?  I wanna see what I can do mutilating that for myself  :mrgreen:

Looks like lots of good modders are polish here.

Ok, before you get the pics a few things I didn't have time for to write yesterday:

I'm somewhat worried about the lighting. I guess instead of having the tris straight up I'll probably scale the upper circle a bit up, this should probably give some better results. This could also make the whole background look more perspective, although I doubt this.

Another thing I'm worried about is that if there's an upward slope in the terrain on the transition to the outer terrain, it fades into the color of the sky.

Also, this could probably use a 2048x512 texture instead of 1024x256(hey, 2048x512 is just as big as a 1024x1024 texture!). Don't overrate this thing because it should only be used for very distant landscapes and mountainsides.
In the pics I didn't modify the outer terrain mesh, so you would have other mountains and generally a more interesting landscape in front of this thing.

A few comments to the pics:
Like I said, it's only a quick n dirty job -> it can look much better. The texture is tiled 3 times all around, so mayyybe, for a better resolution this could be tiled 4 times. Not too sure about that, though.
The light textures are mine. I know, from the castle view the terrain tiles horribly. I wanted to fix this some time...

Enough said, here are the pics.

c9larbnd3omxbkkzlt.jpg

80tlx321x1603jwnbcw.jpg

guni7zz4x3upj6hig4ea.jpg

v4t3c248zpyatyjtu7.jpg

jvs8kkk35p5auz4e1eod.jpg

About your idea with fog... The same thing could be done for skyboxes so you had a lot of fog on a rainy day and no fog on a sunny day.

EDIT:
Oh right, I forgot to say that those trees in the front shouldn't be there, at least not that big.

Soil, those look awesome.  They just need to be cut out a weee little better, but otherwise  :shock:

Also, I'm having an...issue.  Either something got wrong in the last .brf, or you're really over exaggerating.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6350/87302728nv7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom