Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gab-AG. said:
The Bowman said:
I think that the role of standard bearers in Bannerlord in just the same as the troop formations in Total War. Basically, if you see a banner, that's a formation.

Well, fun fact, banners in Total War are also floating. Just zoom in when playing Medieval 2 for example, you'll notice hehe. Only difference is that on Medieval 2 your camera isn't usually so close to troops, unlike M&B's.

Empire
Napoleon
Rome 2
Atilla

They all had dedicated Bannermen. Hell in Napoleon and Empire they had musical instruments

Chewiemuse said:
Gab-AG. said:
The Bowman said:
I think that the role of standard bearers in Bannerlord in just the same as the troop formations in Total War. Basically, if you see a banner, that's a formation.

Well, fun fact, banners in Total War are also floating. Just zoom in when playing Medieval 2 for example, you'll notice hehe. Only difference is that on Medieval 2 your camera isn't usually so close to troops, unlike M&B's.

Empire
Napoleon
Rome 2
Atilla

They all had dedicated Bannermen. Hell in Napoleon and Empire they had musical instruments

Yep, more recent games. You must also keep in mind that in those ages banners were not as many as in middle ages (as far as I know). In Medieval 2 I remember seeing quite many, all floating obviously hehe.

Edit: Actually, not as many banners as I remembered, just checked. But still, they all float.

Looks like about 8 banners in the infantry, and a bit more than 100 infantry from the numbers at the end if I'm counting right. Probably a bit high, but I'd imagine they can adjust it easily.

UghUghUgh said:
There are more complaints than just the graphics. The blog talks about improved tactis and I don't see any demonstration thereof. It might be there, if you search long and hard, but I am not supposed to do that, because Taleworlds wants my money, not the other way round. The same is true for attack chains. Where dem at, eh?

Quite obvious actually, and I saw them on my first viewing, and many other people commented on them soon after videos were up

And then there are the horses still bumping into each other at full speed and not giving a ****. After years of development, this glaring issue hasn't been adressed in any way shape or form.

Oh they haven't addressed this at all? Really? You didn't see the open field battles last year at the PC Gamer Weekender where horses bumping each other out of the way was evident?

Gab-AG. said:
Duh said:
Gab-AG. said:
Then tell me why it is please? Else you're not contributing in any way to the discussion.
Robo-Senshi already did. You don't need that many troops for this effect. Furthermore, Warband already saw non-combat units being added via mods, which worked just fine.

If you want as many banners as there currently are in that video, yes you need quite many of those units. You could say "well, just have only a couple banners then", but there are also people who like having many banners on the field (me for example) just like in that video, or in the Kingdom of Heaven video I posted above. ^^
Nothing you said refutes anything that was argued here. You don't need half your army to hold banners. In fact, looking at the first video, there are around 12 banners. Maybe 14 in the second. So, no, to achieve what is shown in the video you don't need many men. I hope your question is now satisfied.

Gab-AG. said:
Chewiemuse said:
Gab-AG. said:
The Bowman said:

Empire
Napoleon
Rome 2
Atilla

Yep, more recent games. You must also keep in mind that in those ages banners were not as many as in middle ages (as far as I know). In Medieval 2 I remember seeing quite many, all floating obviously hehe.

Edit: Actually, not as many banners as I remembered, just checked. But still, they all float.

Hold up...

Youre telling me in real life they didnt have THESE!?

maxresdefault.jpg

Duh said:
Gab-AG. said:
Duh said:
Gab-AG. said:
Then tell me why it is please? Else you're not contributing in any way to the discussion.
Robo-Senshi already did. You don't need that many troops for this effect. Furthermore, Warband already saw non-combat units being added via mods, which worked just fine.

If you want as many banners as there currently are in that video, yes you need quite many of those units. You could say "well, just have only a couple banners then", but there are also people who like having many banners on the field (me for example) just like in that video, or in the Kingdom of Heaven video I posted above. ^^
Nothing you said refutes anything that was argued here. You don't need half your army to hold banners. In fact, looking at the first video, there are around 12 banners. Maybe 14 in the second. So, no, to achieve what is shown in the video you don't need many men. I hope your question is now satisfied.

Obviously I was exagerating when I said half of the army. Also, I don't think we're arguing? In any case, 14 are quite many, considering you're pretty much taking away 14 men from fighting. And that obviously depends on the amount of men you have in total.

Also, what if I wanted more banners, like in the Kingdom of Heaven video I linked above? Then, in that case I would need half army to be made of bannermen.

Chewiemuse said:
Gab-AG. said:
Chewiemuse said:
Gab-AG. said:
The Bowman said:

Empire
Napoleon
Rome 2
Atilla

Hold up...

Youre telling me in real life they didnt have THESE!?

maxresdefault.jpg

No, it's all a lie, of course we had giant floating banners in real life!!

crynoking said:
If they want to make the community happy, they'd release info on what made warband great. The actual fighting didn't make warband great. It was the gameplay of going from town to town, concept of building your own army, and making your own decisions. I don't see sandbox when I look at these recently released videos. I see something controlled and forced to the player. That's not what most find fun. Show us the decisions you can make in the game.

Are you serious? The fighting of M&B was it's one truly unique selling point, and the most polished part of the game. That's why it became a success in the first place! Besides which, they've previously talked of some of the decisions you can make in the game, such as what to build in villages, choosing who to fight for, they've given examples of the variety of things you can trade with other lords (fiefs, horses, captives).

If there is a sense of direction over the gameplay videos we've seen, that's because by necessity they have been set up (to an extent). They have been showcasing certain aspects of the game at each showing, and even if they were comfortable running the game freely and letting the world see all the features and what did and didn't work, they might spend half an hour wandering the map and not get into the sort of situation they want to demonstrate. But all information we've had suggests it will have more options, features and depth than ever before, and the game remains a sandbox at heart.

Gab-AG. said:
In any case, 14 are quite many, considering you're pretty much taking away 14 men from fighting.
It would be fairly easy to have them switch to weapons if necessary. Or to counteract their combat deficit with a boost mechanic (this is what I did for stat units).

Gab-AG. said:
Also, what if I wanted more banners, like in the Kingdom of Heaven video I linked above? Then, in that case I would need half army to be made of bannermen.
Sure, though it is far from certain that you will be able to influence the number of flags. They may be bound to specific units (which would give you some influence), but they might also be randomly assigned based on the total number of troops deployed.

But mods will fix that if necessary.

Duh said:
Gab-AG. said:
In any case, 14 are quite many, considering you're pretty much taking away 14 men from fighting.
It would be fairly easy to have them switch to weapons if necessary. Or to counteract their combat deficit with a boost mechanic (this is what I did for stat units).

Gab-AG. said:
Sure, though it is far from certain that you will be able to influence the number of flags. They may be bound to specific units (which would give you some influence), but they might also be randomly assigned based on the total number of troops deployed.

But mods will fix that if necessary.

Thought you were talking about non-combatant units as in they would not carry any weapons other than the flag, my bad.

Good videos but a bit disappointed. We probably wont get anything else..

Didt notice the balance of power at the top of screen until one of the youtebers mentioned it.

The solution could be to carry them in the left hand. I remember that it was so in the eagle and the radiant cross. Even so, i like how is currently done in the demo. Also it was kinda annoying see the AI using the banners like giant pikes in many mods

Another banner complaint :smile:, I don't like how they just pop out of existence when the bearer is killed (at least for the horsemen), gotta be a better way.

Most of the things you guys have a complaint about can be solved with out a lot of work it seems. And that is a good thing. Game is really well made as of what we saw and that means it will be worth the wait.

DanAngleland said:
If there is a sense of direction over the gameplay videos we've seen, that's because by necessity they have been set up (to an extent). They have been showcasing certain aspects of the game at each showing, and even if they were comfortable running the game freely and letting the world see all the features and what did and didn't work, they might spend half an hour wandering the map and not get into the sort of situation they want to demonstrate. But all information we've had suggests it will have more options, features and depth than ever before, and the game remains a sandbox at heart.
That may well be true but it's about time they stopped telling us and suggesting and writing articles and what ever else and start showing us. They can talk about individual features all they want but we need to see all those features working together to create the sandbox.

Also the fact that it's a sandbox makes it important that they showcase all the different hijinks that players can get into. If that means roaming the map randomly, so be it. Walk around till something interesting happens or go find something interesting to do. If the devs are playing the game and can't find anything fun to do for 30 mins, they've failed. Nobody wants to see a specific thing demonstrated anymore. We're way passed that. All that does is piss people off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkL42p3Mss&feature=youtu.be&t=3m9s

The amount of people he runs over, the amount of damage he deals to them, and how unaffected his horse is afterwards disturbs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom