Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JuanNieve said:
I remember the sultan Armagan say that the battle map will be 5km, but maybe it was only a dream  :oops:

until we see the game and have a idea of the optimization, we have no clue.

now think about what you just said: 5km

you set your small warband (200 soldiers), the enemy has his warband (300 soldiers) on the opposite side, 5 km away. Now you need to start moving/marching towards him. Does that make sense? We don't want Native old combat where you spawn 50m from the enemy, but 5km away... ????

and also you may be thinking 5km... when maybe what you heard was 5km2, which would be a little bit better (still too far)

we don't have armies with 100,000 troops. Battle scene needs to make sense with the armies size, and the time scale (how much faster you can make it be). If you ever played Total War games, with big maps, imagine waiting 20minutes for the enemy to get to you. Would that be fun?

kalarhan said:
JuanNieve said:
I remember the sultan Armagan say that the battle map will be 5km, but maybe it was only a dream  :oops:

until we see the game and have a idea of the optimization, we have no clue.

now think about what you just said: 5km

you set your small warband (200 soldiers), the enemy has his warband (300 soldiers) on the opposite side, 5 km away. Now you need to start moving/marching towards him. Does that make sense? We don't want Native old combat where you spawn 50m from the enemy, but 5km away... ????

and also you may be thinking 5km... when maybe what you heard was 5km2, which would be a little bit better (still too far)

we don't have armies with 100,000 troops. Battle scene needs to make sense with the armies size, and the time scale (how much faster you can make it be). If you ever played Total War games, with big maps, imagine waiting 20minutes for the enemy to get to you. Would that be fun?

bigger cities mean more fun...I hope that you conquer the city when you reach the "acropolis" like in total war...not only controlling the walls...
in open field well......20 minutes are too much but a bit of march improves immersion....200 vs 200...numbers for a graduation party...not for war....we hope we can use more more men.........

ragnarlothbrok89 said:
200 vs 200...numbers for a graduation party...not for war....we hope we can use more more men.........

the info we have right now from the devs is about 1000 (500 vs 500). Of course that is not final, and players with better machines may be able to push it further.

but do not expect 10,000 troops, or 100,000 troops. Those numbers are unlikely to happen.

kalarhan said:
ragnarlothbrok89 said:
200 vs 200...numbers for a graduation party...not for war....we hope we can use more more men.........

the info we have right now from the devs is about 1000 (500 vs 500). Of course that is not final, and players with better machines may be able to push it further.

but do not expect 10,000 troops, or 100,000 troops. Those numbers are unlikely to happen.

Not happening.

JuanNieve said:
Bloc said:
JuanNieve said:
What is the size of the battlemaps in bannerlord?
Do you really want to know this?

Yeah, 'cause bigger battle map will allow skirmishing tactics like mongols do. Also a better A.I. that doesn't use horse archers and horse lancers in the same group

The biggest scene we've been showed was 225 km^2 or so.

For comparision, that's around ArmA 2 Chernarus size - With the note that most of Chernarus size is for a good part water, and Skyrim's map is around 36 km^2.

Still, I wouldn't hold too much on this. As much as I'd like huge scenes, we have still to see perfomance, specially if you fill big scenes with lots and lots of details.

So a standard bannerlord battlemap will have roughly six times Skyrim???????? How is that? Will it take long to load? Do we really need so much space for a single battle? What is this?

joei160. said:
So a standard bannerlord battlemap will have roughly six times Skyrim???????? How is that? Will it take long to load? Do we really need so much space for a single battle? What is this?

no, maybe, yes. We do not know. Read this as many times as you need to understand it: we have no idea  :razz:

JuanNieve said:
Yeah, 'cause bigger battle map will allow skirmishing tactics like mongols do. Also a better A.I. that doesn't use horse archers and horse lancers in the same group
Well.... I am not sure about it's km2 scale, but let me say this; battle maps will be larger than Warband's battle maps. And AI is now much more intelligent.
However, if you think enough, you can figure out that why huge sized maps can be really annoying for a game like Bannerlord.

joei160. said:
it sounded like this is the upward limit of the engine's scene-creation capabilities, not that this is 'standard'.

Bloc said:
JuanNieve said:
Well.... I am not sure about it's km2 scale, but let me say this; battle maps will be larger than Warband's battle maps. And AI is now much more intelligent.
However, if you think enough, you can figure out that why huge sized maps can be really annoying for a game like Bannerlord.

And also why it could be a blessing for quite a few mods, specially multiplayer.

I can't understand why some of you want super-duper-large maps.

joei160. said:
In Skyrim (i have over 1300 hours on it), the main map is loaded procedurally, and it sometimes takes less time than other cells.

Also, why don't we all resolve this with a bit of thinking?

In the battle, there are in total 263 soldiers. Now, they're somewhat more afar from your spawnpoint than in Warband.
So this video is the proof that you won't need to march 5km to kill 7 looters.

ToyBoat said:
joei160. said:
it sounded like this is the upward limit of the engine's scene-creation capabilities, not that this is 'standard'.

Yes, 225km² is the upper limit (at least that's what it seems like). It doesn't mean that every single scene will be that large.
That would be kind of a waste.

I'd like to see a change in the battle map border though... its ridiculous to just hit a border like if there was an invisible wall in there... Maybe rather than that invisible wall, giving us a warning that we are deserting the battlefield and we get "deserter" penalties if we dont return within a certain time instead?

Der Kopfsammler said:
I'd like to see a change in the battle map border though... its ridiculous to just hit a border like if there was an invisible wall in there... Maybe rather than that invisible wall, giving us a warning that we are deserting the battlefield and we get "deserter" penalties if we dont return within a certain time instead?
And a message saying you're too far from the battle with a time limit before being penalized/debuffed/knocked out is any less ridiculous than an invisible wall?

I'd suggest a simple timer counting down to retreat. So, you go beyond the border and then it says "Retreating in 5... 4... 3..."

Avoids the invisible wall issue, and keeps it fairly realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom