Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan546 said:
I'm also with the objection of religion. Wouldn't really add anything I don't feel.

Also, could we ban all suggestions from this point? I don't think we need the game delayed any more no matter how cool the idea.
I'm also going on Lusts comments meaning all players can have access to the game by the end of the year, not just selected beta testers. Closed Betas aren't exactly putting the game in players hands. My bet is an early access model by the end of the year.

I'm sure they will have some form of open ended access to all players by the end of the year, but closed testing will more than likely happen before any form of public release. Exclusivity in testing like that isn't just to show off "prestige" in the community, it has an actual function which can not be denied ; it is normally done for a good reason.

When closed beta testing is done it normally is done when they begin to bug test hard mechanics, balance, and how systems interact with each other to see if any break. With a smaller group in closed testing they can have forums that are not filled with the same X bug posts over and over cluttering up the forums and drowning out more important and harder to find problems. If they skipped the closed testing they would have a lot of people finding a lot of problems, but if 50 people are making posts about the same obvious bug rather than posts about underlying systems and odd issues with mechanical interaction it can do more harm than good.

Is it possible to have a large form of public testing? To completely skip the closed testing and skip directly to full public release / demo / testing? Absolutely, but it would require a very effective and organized reporting method. This could be accomplished through things like Star Citizen's method, but that takes a lot of time to setup. The prediction is that because Taleworlds would not want/need to setup that kind of system they will instead take a look at a form of closed testing before something like open testing (if they ever choose to do so).

I have no doubt they will have the game in our hands sometime by the end of 2016, but I am unsure how they will go about it. While I'm sure a ton of M&B Fans would LOVE an open beta or even early access, overall newcomers may not get the correct impression of the game. Especially with how early access games have been going lately giving a bad name and specific expectations for those that enter it.

But yes, I agree with you on the view of Lust's comments :razz: When he said "In player's hands" I presume he means at large by the end of 2016. I'm just saying the talk of Closed Beta is because it is something that will likely happen.

Úlfheðinn said:
Brutus, please, what could possibly go wrong if we have to moderate people RPing the crusades transplanted to the M&B setting? :iamamoron:

Anderson: So this is a crusade?!?
Maxwell: No no, what do the Americans call it...
Anderson: Peacekeeping?

It's not RPing the crusades, it's just Peacekeeping!
Oh Hellsing Abridged.

Well, if it will be "in players hands" at large by the end of this very year, I believe it is reasonable to assume that it's almost harvesting season.

I'd like to see a shield overhaul for Bannerlord - IMO it's a weak point in the M&B combat system.
Here's my idea:

Goals:

1: Make shields more diverse: Different shapes and sizes of shield should really behave differently and be useful for different purposes. In Warband, there isn't that much of a difference between various shield sizes, in practice they all almost feel exactly the same.

2: Make shields more realistic AND fun: Shields in real life are a lot more interesting than they are in Warband. In Warband you just hold RMB to defend, at which point you just kinda block all things until it breaks. In real life shields can be this fantastically aggressive tool and fighting with one or against one is full of interesting variables that could be translated to the M&B system.

3: Make formations more useful, especially in MP. Forming up, while cool looking, just don't work out well in MP. I think my proposed system would help with that.

So here's how I'd do it:

1: Improve shield hit detection and kill the forcefields (at least for melee attacks). This change would allow for doing things like hitting over, under and aside the shield. Hooking around with axeheads and stuff.

2: Constant blocking. Instead of RMB to block, the shield constantly blocks. RMB+mouse simply changes the shield "guard", the way you hold it in front of you. Yes, this allows attacking and blocking at the same time, which is kinda a radical departure from the current system, I know. To counterbalance this fact, there's number 3...

3: Serious encumberment drawbacks. Bigger and heavier shields should seriously affect your acceleration, and more importantly your rotation speed. Slowing down the ability to rotate your body means that a guy with a huge shield will be very safe from the front, but reliant on team mates to cover the sides, as a more agile enemy will be able to get around the sides.
So with change 3 you'd see patterns that we see in history. Heavy infantry who fight in formation best rely on big shields to become an immovable wall. Light infantry meanwhile needs less encumbering shields to stay quick on their feet, at the cost of coverage.

It sounds pretty nuts, right? Here's how I think it would play out in melee:

1h+shield vs 1h+shield: I think this would be broadly similar to current shieldless combat. Your goal would be to somehow make your enemy defend the wrong body parts while hitting your shield, giving you an opening. Aside from good ol' feints, you gotta remember that things like precise moves like leg shots and stuff would all be possible.

2h/polearm vs 1h+shield: This is where things get interesting. On one hand, the shield wielder has the advantage of simultaneous attack+block. On the other hand, the 2 hander has range and possibly agility on his side. The nature of the game would be broadly similar to how it works in reality (as far as I know): While the shield guy has to get up close and essentially overwhelm the 2 hander guy, the 2 hander must rely on smart footwork, precise attacks and reach.

I do hope they are a bit more inventive with the backstory you can make for your character to make them feel a bit more authentic, the 5-6 options always felt a bit superficial in my opinion.

I hope there will be some awfully ugly and scary looking bandits with no teeth, etc.  because the people in the preview were mostly all decent looking. :grin:

Icey said:
I hope there will be some awfully ugly and scary looking bandits with no teeth, etc.  because the people in the preview were mostly all decent looking. :grin:
Something like this?
i_DUE.jpg

Lord Brutus said:
Icey said:
Something like this?
i_DUE.jpg

Yea something like that. It'd be fun to volunteer and make some of the character designs even lol

Icey said:
You know...I'd +1 this more, but I can't +1 it more than this, so I'll just +1 it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom