Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are the problems I was posing with long term body collision but what about as the body is falling? As much as I would love piles of bodies with collision it isn't practical for game play but neither is being able to swing through freshly killed soldier to hit another a living soldier, its an annoyance.

The way I am thinking is bodies would have collision as they die but after laying on the ground for some time it would fade or whatever so it cant be used to troll and be friendly to people with poorer gaming computers. I'm very serious when I say I think that people hurting/killing players or npcs because they swung/shot through a dead corpse is some bull**** and it makes fighting off multiple foes a lot harder than it should or needs to be.

Dest45 said:
Those are the problems I was posing with long term body collision but what about as the body is falling? As much as I would love piles of bodies with collision it isn't practical for game play but neither is being able to swing through freshly killed soldier to hit another a living soldier, its an annoyance.

The way I am thinking is bodies would have collision as they die but after laying on the ground for some time it would fade or whatever so it cant be used to troll and be friendly to people with poorer gaming computers. I'm very serious when I say I think that people hurting/killing players or npcs because they swung/shot through a dead corpse is some bull**** and it makes fighting off multiple foes a lot harder than it should or needs to be.

I agree with this solution,  it's frustrating being hit through a person you just killed a few milliseconds earlier.  Also the AI train would slow down and break up a little if they had to move around a freshly killed corpse that is falling to the ground.  This may give the player a few more options when fighting multiple AI.  Also modifying the blind rush forward so that some bots try to circle and others keep more out of range (out of fear etc) would prevent the ball of bots from occurring.

I wonder if we'll be able to see other countries like Balion and Geroia eventually in the game. Or at least their precursors in the Bannerlord timeline. They're both mentioned in Warband but we have never seen them since they aren't located on the Calradic Peninsular. Having nations across the see could provide a perfect avenue to include sea travel and battles.

Z0mbiN3 said:
Dest45 said:
jacobhinds said:
Corpse collision was actually in earlier versions of warband but was removed for technical reasons. It's entirely possible to mod it back in.
Yea but it should be in Vanilla Bannerlord for balancing reasons at the least.

It was used back in the middle ages, yes. Some would use the enemies (and friendly) corpses to their advantage, as the enemy would have to not only get throught the corpses, but could also lose balance and fall, and it'd also stop them from charging at the same time, at least as a shieldwall.

Though it can get laggy, and very messy in a game, both for players and the AI. Maybe do it like in GTA? They do have collisions, but it's not like they're too hard to walk over.

this is a nice suggestion, to not have huge impact in the performance during large battles intead of the full detailed collision it could be something simpler like an extremely low poly version (think of the lod for distant characters) just to create an obstacle (that could fade after sometime like other people suggested to not create a permanent obstacle used for trolling)

Arel37 said:
About weapons: Isnt it weird that you can take lance and hit and hit again and hit again without delay. Your lance doesnt stuck there nor breakes. This makes swords for horsemans unnecessary. Deluge solved it perfectly. Lances cant thrust but couch and couched lances breakes in contact. Problem is you need speed to couch your lance. Couching in all times would be better Example:Winged hussars couch their lances before start moving. And if all swords be same, there will be no reason to take different swords. Ottoman riders used curved blades to eliminate their targets without slowing down. If you try this with a broadsword, your sword will slip from your hands or you get injured. But while on foot, broad swords have advantage.
Take into account that Winged Hussar lance is very specific case of, well, lance. It was hollow inside (made from two pieces of wood glued together) and extremely long. I'd imagine couching would be the only option for them, but in Bannerlord times cavalry used to thrust with their spears/lance a lot more - wasn't the tactic employed against shieldwalls to ride by trying to take jabs above/between the shields?

Slisky YOUR LORD said:
Dest45 said:

I agree with this solution,  it's frustrating being hit through a person you just killed a few milliseconds earlier.  Also the AI train would slow down and break up a little if they had to move around a freshly killed corpse that is falling to the ground.  This may give the player a few more options when fighting multiple AI.  Also modifying the blind rush forward so that some bots try to circle and others keep more out of range (out of fear etc) would prevent the ball of bots from occurring.
god yes. Anything to stop the tidal wave of bots from steamrolling you lol

Do not look here said:
Arel37 said:
About weapons: Isnt it weird that you can take lance and hit and hit again and hit again without delay. Your lance doesnt stuck there nor breakes. This makes swords for horsemans unnecessary. Deluge solved it perfectly. Lances cant thrust but couch and couched lances breakes in contact. Problem is you need speed to couch your lance. Couching in all times would be better Example:Winged hussars couch their lances before start moving. And if all swords be same, there will be no reason to take different swords. Ottoman riders used curved blades to eliminate their targets without slowing down. If you try this with a broadsword, your sword will slip from your hands or you get injured. But while on foot, broad swords have advantage.
Take into account that Winged Hussar lance is very specific case of, well, lance. It was hollow inside (made from two pieces of wood glued together) and extremely long. I'd imagine couching would be the only option for them, but in Bannerlord times cavalry used to thrust with their spears/lance a lot more - wasn't the tactic employed against shieldwalls to ride by trying to take jabs above/between the shields?

Depends on the time period, that group's cavalry tactics and technology employed. Usually cavalry charges with any form of lance or spear for most soldiers was a 1 and done weapon depending on battle situation.

Usually most charges, if head on for a medieval point of view, the first line of cav would crash into the enemy with their lances/spears, depending on if the weapon hits it would be broken or dislodged from the wielder's grasp. The wielder as he kept going through the enemy or was stopped would then go to their secondary weapon. The usual 2nd & 3rd (if not more) lines would come charging in moments after the first line sometimes also wielding lances/spears or just using the secondary weapons the first line was already switching too.

Other varying groups did use the stab through/over shields as these type of cavalry being not as armored and usually faster horses for recon, hit and runs, flanking, sorties, etc instead of the medieval times of Heavy Cavalry being the ruler of Western battlefields as a shock & awe tactic.

An example, at least from Warband would be, a group of Khergits instead of firing arrows and riding in circles, they would be circling their enemy with reinforced spears, stabbing at any chance, while avoiding direct contact. This would keep the enemy in constant state of being under attack yet not able to engage while other friendly Khergit ground forces would move in behind their cavalry and potential dust screen to quickly engaged a disrupted enemy.

RoboSenshi said:
I wonder if we'll be able to see other countries like Balion and Geroia eventually in the game. Or at least their precursors in the Bannerlord timeline. They're both mentioned in Warband but we have never seen them since they aren't located on the Calradic Peninsular. Having nations across the see could provide a perfect avenue to include sea travel and battles.

i would love to see that too

I too would love to see those territories. If Calradia is analogous to Europe and the near east then those two continents could represent the far east and america (obv. there was no contact between europe and america in the game's time frame but liberties can be taken)

One thing that could make the game interesting would be if troops' experience would be reflected by their ai combat skill. For example, a cataphract would be better able to parry attacks or would attack from more directions and in better sequences than a recruit. This would make it easier for the game to support masses of low-quality infantry and add more value to elite soldiers in an era full of peasant levies and legions that can barely afford Lorica Hamata.

(speaking of cavalry, we really need better ai for cavalry, so that horse archers can do cantabrian circles and lancers make repeated passes rather than one couched hit and then standing still thrusting)

The only problem is that the dev team has already announced the factions in the game. We know there will be ships, sea travel and hopefully sea battles but I'm still not sure how it would be useful or interesting if BL is set entirely on the Peninsula.

Also I was thinking England not America.

Shidan said:
RoboSenshi said:
We know there will be ships, sea travel and hopefully sea battles
Umm... We do? I haven't seen anything of the sort so far. Source?

well.. in the gamescom footage there is a village close by the sea with a small port and fishing nets (could be just a fishing bulding) and Viking Conquest has a very good naval system (my favorite part of the DLC) so i hope they will implement it in bannerlord and improve it even further :party:

vonbalt said:
well.. in the gamescom footage there is a village close by the sea with a small port and fishing nets (could be just a fishing bulding) and Viking Conquest has a very good naval system (my favorite part of the DLC) so i hope they will implement it in bannerlord and improve it even further :party:

It really does just look like a jetty for wee fishing boats to me. I've kept an eye out for ships moving on the world-map in the videos and seen nothing so far. There's a ship in the background of a scene where the player is talking to the angry bald man about horses, but that doesn't mean much really.

We were talking about nav meshes recently, I noticed this old leaked shot mentions them:
SQcvmEE.jpg

kraggrim said:
vonbalt said:

It really does just look like a jetty for wee fishing boats to me. I've kept an eye out for ships moving on the world-map in the videos and seen nothing so far. There's a ship in the background of a scene where the player is talking to the angry bald man about horses, but that doesn't mean much really.

We were talking about nav meshes recently, I noticed this old leaked shot mentions them:
SQcvmEE.jpg

Navigations meshes... Does that mean we will no longer see AI bots getting stuck in trees, houses, stairwells or other scene elements?

creuzet said:
kraggrim said:
vonbalt said:

SQcvmEE.jpg

Navigations meshes... Does that mean we will no longer see AI bots getting stuck in trees, houses, stairwells or other scene elements?

By Odin's beard i hope this is true and that the AI will learn how to use the scene elements for their advantage :ohdear:

jacobhinds said:
:---(

And for bigger maps with more complex landscapes that's just going to mean more clicking and dragging for 4 hours per scene. I mean hopefully the modding tool won't be a buggy crashy mess like last time, r-right guys?

The shot is from a year ago. For the sake of my own sanity I'm going to presume they hadn't yet implemented their fancy new super-duper easy system that replaces nav-meshes.

I know we have to wait some more months until the game so this is probably going to be a stupid question but is there going to be a mod like Persistent World for this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom