Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering the other day a mechanic change which could be a nice enhancement for ranged play. Currently when aiming with a bow you hold down the mouse button and accuracy improves until it maxes out and starts getting worse again. Irrelevant of what time you release the shot it still flies out at full power.

What would be interesting would be if you changed accuracy and power around. So accuracy is fixed (based on the bow and range skill) and it's instead the power that increases to maximum before dropping off. For most play this won't have a major effect, if you want to shoot someone accurately with the most damage you will still loose the shot at the same time as before.

What makes this different is that if you release the shot earlier or later you can change the arc and damage of the arrow. This lets you vary the timing up letting you shoot a less damaging shot earlier which will have a more difficult arc to hit with. It also lets rangers arc weaker shots over obstacles or team mates.

It also intuitively makes more sense as drawing the string back does increase the power the shot will release with, the accuracy change stuff has never made a lot of sense.

This would effect bows and throwing weapons, not sure how it would go with crossbows, perhaps they should simply have a fixed timing for taking aim instead and a fixed damage so they cannot insta-shoot.

Interesting idea, but I don't think there is a need to nerf crossbows just because you want to make archery a bit different. Crossbows can 'insta-shoot' in real life; taking that away from them would be a bit strange. The change to bows would be helpful more than it would be a hindrance, because although holding a shot for a long time would reduce its power, the benefit of being able to fire indirectly at targets behind obstacles more than makes up for it. The crossbow can't do this, nor can it reload as fast; all it has in its favour over bows is greater power and the ability to have a shot ready for an infinite amount of time with zero muscle effort.

Also they should nerf bow accuracy and increase arrow drop. In Warband archers are like snipers, while historically they operated in larger units, never aiming at the target but a lot above them (many films have shown this).

But that's the case in native too, if anything they're less accurate than reality. If you fire the distances that approach the maximum range of foot archers (hundreds of metres, basically from one side of a native map to the other), you have no accuracy even with cheated stats.
To make archers viable in balanced multiplayer they actually made bows much less accurate and much stronger against armour than reality.

DanAngleland said:
Interesting idea, but I don't think there is a need to nerf crossbows just because you want to make archery a bit different. Crossbows can 'insta-shoot' in real life; taking that away from them would be a bit strange. The change to bows would be helpful more than it would be a hindrance, because although holding a shot for a long time would reduce its power, the benefit of being able to fire indirectly at targets behind obstacles more than makes up for it. The crossbow can't do this, nor can it reload as fast; all it has in its favour over bows is greater power and the ability to have a shot ready for an infinite amount of time with zero muscle effort.

I'm not suggesting xbows get nerfed, they would effectively be the same as now, but at the moment there is a small amount of time it takes to aim them to full accuracy. Since my suggestion has fixed accuracy I was simply suggesting a similar period of time to 'aim' them to ready position.

I'd like to see the horse engine. I don't know why, but on the Engine Power video when he was riding that horse, it was so good. I  just want to ride one of those horses.

The Mighty McLovin said:
I'd like to see the horse engine. I don't know why, but on the Engine Power video when he was riding that horse, it was so good. I  just want to ride one of those horses.

It looked pretty similar to warband to me.

Speaking of which it would be pretty cool if they separated horse head movement somewhat and let it sway a bit more freely. So when horses are charging you get something like this:

1200px-Scotland_Forever%21.jpg

Might be hard to get right though.

Partizan_Rusi said:
Any news about E3 and TW ?
Taleworlds don't tell us you are going to miss main event. I know you wouldn't tell us anyway, hah .
They said already that they wouldn't be there, but I think they were going to be at some other event which I have forgotten what it's called. (Please don't hurt me :ohdear:)

jacobhinds said:
Speaking of which it would be pretty cool if they separated horse head movement somewhat and let it sway a bit more freely. So when horses are charging you get something like this:

1200px-Scotland_Forever%21.jpg

Might be hard to get right though.

Looking at that, I just realized how much more frightening a cavalry charge is with swaying horse heads lol.

this game is starting to look like  vaporvware. basicly all they have  showed us in the last 9 months is 1 picture of the game. i have seen kickstarter projects that have showed more. or look at kingdom come deliverance, almost all of their blogs have their been gameplay in. the only hope i see is that they have made some kind of agreement with microsof/sony not to show any gameplay of bannerlord, and then we will se bannerlord at microsoft or sonys conference. otherwise i dont think we will see a bannerlord release this decade, or in worst case the game will end up being canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom