Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SirMairaki said:
Anyways, I have no problem with this kind of currency as long as they do it right

pfff, sounds like you are telling us we should wait until we know more about how this works, instead of going all doom and gloom on a feature just because someone dislikes the name used on it. C'mon, be serious!

Jacobhinds said:
Sir Mordred said:
but I believe they said that the lord they defeated will loose influence (standing) and that could cause him to raise taxes on his holdings to rebuild his army in an attempt to regain influence.

THIS IS ALREADY IN WARBAND. ??

I thought that villages don't have variable tax rates in Warband (just a fixed weekly payment for the player owner; does the AI have a treasury?), besides which the lords get magically replenished armies in Warband.

DanAngleland said:
the lords get magically replenished armies in Warband.

not quite, it is just they usually are too rich and can pay new recruits at infinitum  :mrgreen:, a issue some mods have handled differently

bandits get free troops, not lords

kalarhan said:
SirMairaki said:
Anyways, I have no problem with this kind of currency as long as they do it right

pfff, sounds like you are telling us we should wait until we know more about how this works, instead of going all doom and gloom on a feature just because someone dislikes the name used on it. C'mon, be serious!

Nice strawman, but taleworlds has already on multiple occasions detailed the core mechanics of the influence feature, and there are fundamental, irreconcilable flaws with it in my opinion.

Why are you being so smug and strawmanny about something I never implied? I said that from what we currently know, the influence feature is unpalatable to me. The small details are somewhat irrelevant because I'm talking about the feature on a conceptual level.

SirMairaki said:
I have yet to play either Total War or EU4, but I'm not sure what you're referring to in Civilization. Was there an influence points system in one of the older installments? There certainly aren't any in there now.

In civ4 they had a grindy espionage system where you could accumulate espionage points and spend them on actions against other nations. It wasn't as fundamentally flawed as an influence system but in practice it turned some games into skill-less slugfests where you just had to out-espionage your enemy. It didn't feel realistic and the AI rarely used it properly.

Probably not as good an example as the other two.

kalarhan said:
Jacobhinds said:
detailed the core mechanics of the influence feature

ah okie, I missed that meeting when all the details were explained. Guess I need to catch up, I am going to the airport right now, I will be at HQ soon!

:lol:

:lol:
Jokes aside though, I don't believe they have talked in detail at all about it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the only point they talk about it:  (Not sure if it's starting at the right spot. It's at 20:05)

I did not realize before that they said it was faction dependent. So that's good.

Edit: I found this in their Gamescom video too, still doesn't go into the details of it though. (It's at 17:52)

Edit 2: I notice Frank says that if a lord is busy, he will outright reject anything you want. That sounds promising as it is the same as what I described earlier as having other factors effecting the influence system.

Jacobhinds said:
Pretty sure at least two of the blogs have explained how it would work in practice.

Possibly. If they have I can't recall it. If someone finds it, please link me to it.

Jacobhinds said:
Why are you being so smug and strawmanny about something I never implied? I said that from what we currently know, the influence feature is unpalatable to me. The small details are somewhat irrelevant because I'm talking about the feature on a conceptual level.

SirMairaki said:
I have yet to play either Total War or EU4, but I'm not sure what you're referring to in Civilization. Was there an influence points system in one of the older installments? There certainly aren't any in there now.

In civ4 they had a grindy espionage system where you could accumulate espionage points and spend them on actions against other nations. It wasn't as fundamentally flawed as an influence system but in practice it turned some games into skill-less slugfests where you just had to out-espionage your enemy. It didn't feel realistic and the AI rarely used it properly.

Probably not as good an example as the other two.

Am I sounding smug? I genuinely don't mean to if I am.
That is a fair example though. The only civs I've properly played are 5 and 6, so I'm not aware of that espionage system.

Cpt. Nemo said:
I don't believe they have talked in detail at all about it.

that is the gist of all features revealed so far. Little teasers, a few details here and there and up to change before release (as they do more testing, balance, and so forth).

Cpt. Nemo said:
He's referring to kalarhan.

which is funny, I was not referring to him, just the silly discussion. Not sure why he decided to take it personally  :mrgreen:

Honestly, the discussion was actually pretty interesting until you joined in. I had never considered any potential bad sides of the influence system.

SirMairaki said:
Edit: I found this in their Gamescom video too, still doesn't go into the details of it though. (It's at 17:52)
27:40 he talks about how the defeated enemy lord is [poorly transcribed by me] "feeling more pressure from his faction [. . .] might have to really tax his peasants [. . .] they might revolt [. . .] if he's thinking of becoming like marshal or whatever he's not going to be able to influence the other lords [. . .] it's so much more deep the way everything is really interconnected in this game"

Sir Mordred said:
SirMairaki said:
27:40 he talks about how the defeated enemy lord is [poorly transcribed by me] "feeling more pressure from his faction [. . .] might have to really tax his peasants [. . .] they might revolt [. . .] if he's thinking of becoming like marshal or whatever he's not going to be able to influence the other lords [. . .] it's so much more deep the way everything is really interconnected in this game"

Also, one more thing to note about this video at the 17:52 part. He mentions that being a high ranking lord will accumulate you influence over time. This is cool because it's realistic and natural. But it also suggests that there could be some sort of a behind the scenes ranking system for the vassals.

At the 6 minute mark of this video they talk about using your faction influence to be able to offer/make peace deals without being king. The more power/influence you gain in the faction the wider range of peace deals you can offer. But the character lacks the influence to offer a deal to the enemy's liking.

Kehlian said:
The way I see it is weird. Influence as money means you can spend it on all and different lords.

"Hey I delivered 300 letters for this guy from another region and that you have nothing to do with, let's siege that town together"

I have no problem with the influence system except this, if it is true. It would be completely ridiculous. Influence needs to based on Realms or individual lords (Essentially the current system), global influence does not make much sense... It doesn't work like this in real life.

ido66667 said:
Kehlian said:
The way I see it is weird. Influence as money means you can spend it on all and different lords.

"Hey I delivered 300 letters for this guy from another region and that you have nothing to do with, let's siege that town together"

I have no problem with the influence system except this, if it is true. It would be completely ridiculous. Influence needs to based on Realms or individual lords (Essentially the current system), global influence does not make much sense... It doesn't work like this in real life.
Influence is faction specific.

Cpt. Nemo said:
ido66667 said:
Kehlian said:

Influence is faction specific.
Thanks god (Or TW for that matter :lol:), but it is still somewhat problematic, because you would get influence with lords by doing stuff for unrelated people (Maybe even their rivals), Influence should be lord specific. Maybe if you get influence by doing stuff for a lord, you also get influence with his friends, but you lose influence with his rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom