Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

Users who are viewing this thread

Avid blog followers and newcomers to the series, in this, our second blog, we're talking about our team of engine programmers and their role in our development process. It is fitting that the engine team sits in the centre of the office, developing the core of the game. The room is generally busy with the comings and goings of demanding developers, the hardware is powerful and the attitude is relaxed and open. Inside dwell the gremlin exterminating gremlins. The light masters. The engine engineers.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/3

Antar said:
Are people even aware that others have already pointed out the texture "issues" before? We get it, you are not satisfied with "GRAFIXX!!!111!!!!1!!" but I think they (Taleworlds) know what they're doing. Also the pictures are WIP and the final product might not look like that in the end.

joegy said:
2. The straw texture on top of those stands is horrible!

What? It looks fine.

joegy said:
3. The textures joining the walls dont match so look weird.

I think those are just two separate wall props put together to form a longer wall so that's why they don't match. I don't think that can be prevented.

joegy said:
4. I like the aesthetic of the buildings, but the quality looks like that of a Warband mod, not that of an up coming game, years in development.

:mad:
This just gets me mad. You shouldn't be evaluating the visuals if you can't tell the difference between Warband Mod quality and the quality of what was shown to us.

joegy said:
And to all of you whining about not being able to run it on your computers....seriously?! Don't stand in the way of progress for everyone else just because you are too grudging to part with some coin to spend on a new PC! Its not that expensive to upgrade to a half decent PC these days. If you have a ****ty PC, then don't expect amazing FPS! It's like saying you cant afford a motorcycle and so they should reduce the speed limit on the motorway so you can ride your bicycle in the fast lane......!!!!

With this I can agree! Currently I have everything pretty decent and recently upgraded except for my video card. I'll need to get a new one someday.

EDIT:
Here is a post I made 2 days back. Said pretty much the same exact thing:
Antar said:
...Developers shouldn't be limited on what they do just because some people don't upgrade. That's like saying developers making a game for PS4 should make it a PS3 game because they don't want to/ can't upgrade to PS4.

You can try and make my arguments invalid using reductio ad absurdum, but it just makes you look silly. Just argue with me for gods sake, don't slam me for having an opinion....

I knew my post would some people, but I thought they would be more annoyed at my comment on the PC hardware bit not the other stuff!

In response:
. Yes I think the straw texture looks poor
. Those walls can be designed to have less harsh ends so that they merge well with other scene props (like other games), this is very important for reuse of assets in other scenes/towns/etc etc etc as they can be switched around and put next to other buildings and merge seamlessly.
. You're mad because you disagree with my opinion about the look of the game? Sure I appreciate some of the newer aspects and I assume stuff is missing from that photo (as others have mentioned the bump mapping on the floor for example which is probably due to the editors not very fancy shaders), but I cant lie to myself it looks VERY similar to the old M&B. Would hope to (and expect to in the future) see more graphical improvements.

Obviously gameplay, storyline and background are out of the picture for discussion at the monet as we have nothing to go on as of yet. Very excited for when we do!

ALSO:

Who thinks there should be a Taleworlds forum based competition where the prize is designing/naming/creating one of the companions for the game?!

Something along the lines of: 'Come up with the best character idea.......and see them come to life!'

You have to create an image, backstory, name and other details for your character and the best one (community voted) wins!

OMG!!!! THAT SOUNDS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Wait, what? That sounds like a terrible idea... :lol:

I remember a mod having a competition like that, and there were many entries. All of them crap for a professional game, so the mod makers, while declaring a winner for PR effect, actually made their own, better NPC companions.
So, NO THANKS

joegy said:
ALSO:

Who thinks there should be a Taleworlds forum based competition where the prize is designing/naming/creating one of the companions for the game?!

Something along the lines of: 'Come up with the best character idea.......and see them come to life!'

You have to create an image, backstory, name and other details for your character and the best one (community voted) wins!
:lol:

joegy said:
ALSO:

:lol:
It's funny because what we know about the lore is very very close to nothing. HUE!

I really appreciate these recent blog updates on Bannerlord.  The game is looking great, and I'm thrilled to hear that modding will once again allow us to create an experience that will last for years. 

Keep up the great work.

MadVader said:
I remember a mod having a competition like that, and there were many entries. All of them crap for a professional game, so the mod makers, while declaring a winner for PR effect, actually made their own, better NPC companions.
So, NO THANKS

You think that that mod got as much hype and people following it as this sequel will?!

There will be so many people (children and talented artists/writers alike) getting excited over this game and with that I believe there would be a whole host of decent entries :smile:

I still think its a good idea :smile:

Ruthven said:
Didn't they do that with the Quick Battle story characters in Warband?
And with Brytenwalda where it sorta worked. And I was a character in Ealabor's Timeless Kingdoms (iIr the title c). Which actually made it somewhat awkward to play, becuase no matter which faction I joined, there was already one of me in another. :lol:

A lot of tongue scratching about NPCs...but nothing about this?
...various core behaviours like collisions between objects and physics simulation.
So, collision between objects. What would that mean? It surely has to do with physics, as it was stated in the dev blog. I've not seen such a thing in Warband (except ragdolls). I really wonder: we know that the characters can have different builds, as we can see on the screenshots (and by Lust's confirmation about customizing characters), thus a certain character can interact differently with the environment depending on his weight (confirmed by the new editor already). Physics simulation is also something that can be used on both characters and environment, like cloth simulation, horsetails, flags, trees and grass reacting to the wind.

My theory goes like this: if the new scene editor has weight propreties for objects, there's a possibility for the rest of the stuff to possess this feature; it can be noticed in this screenshot for rubble stones. Taking this example, it can lead us the the conclusion that you can literally kick them, or in the best case, pick them up.

The Bowman said:
A lot of tongue scratching about NPCs...but nothing about this?
...various core behaviours like collisions between objects and physics simulation.
So, collision between objects. What would that mean? It surely has to do with physics, as it was stated in the dev blog. I've not seen such a thing in Warband (except ragdolls). I really wonder: we know that the characters can have different builds, as we can see on the screenshots (and by Lust's confirmation about customizing characters), thus a certain character can interact differently with the environment depending on his weight (confirmed by the new editor already). Physics simulation is also something that can be used on both characters and environment, like cloth simulation, horsetails, flags, trees and grass reacting to the wind.

My theory goes like this: if the new scene editor has weight propreties for objects, there's a possibility for the rest of the stuff to possess this feature; it can be noticed in this screenshot for rubble stones. Taking this example, it can lead us the the conclusion that you can literally kick them, or in the best case, pick them up.

In the interview about M&B2 there was also talk about a physics engine build from scratches and the eventual possibility of picking up many objects.

Q: speaking of phisics, how will the players interact with the environments in M&B2?
A: It’s still very early to talk, but we would like the game environment to be interactive as much as possible. The ideal would be to have the player pick-up, destroy and throw stuff. We are rebuilding, or should I say building, a physics engine from scratches.

encryptor256 said:
I think the biggest problem is impatience.

Gameplay is more important than Graphics.

Yeah impatience...

I agreed Gameplay is better than Graphics. I mean sowhat  if the graphic aint good its the gameplay that counts

MadVader said:
So, NO THANKS

As someone who receives countless submissions for new companions in his own project, I'd like to voice my vocal support for MadVaders statement here.

People are idiots, and every character is "OMG BLOODY PAST, KILLED PARENTS, SUPER FIGHTER EVERYONES FAVORITE HERP DERP".

Ignoring the NPC discussion, I would like to further share my investigations and speculations on the edit mode (since I'm a scener). :wink:

General layout: Comparing to the old editor, the new one seems to have obviously improved, regarding the general layout and technical usability. It becomes user-friendly at a glance, it has a modern, compact and intuitive interface, while maintaining some of its old aspects, thus making it easier to learn for the existing Warband sceners. One questionable thing is the autonomy of the editor. As we know, the current one is integrated into the game. This new one though, looks to have some sort of autonomy, so it is highly possible for it to be stand-alone. I made this conclusion after seeing the "No scene loaded" indicator on one of the screenshots. Speaking of this, we wouldn't need to travel on the game map to find a scene and edit it; instead, editing a certain scene would only require to start the editor and load a scenario. This fact is still questionable, but all the "proof" seems to point in this direction, which, in my opinion, is good.

Editor's tabs: While we can't see all the (new) editor's tabs, I can elaborate on some of them which are visible on the current screenshots.

Properties: First off, we got "Properties": this particular tab leads to some general scene options, like effects, lighting, shading, weather, terrain borders, flags, video options, etc. These settings give much more choice and flexibility for the scener, because changing the terrain border wouldn't require to leave the game, edit the "scenes" file, then go back again. Same goes with the video options: you can enable or disable various effects in real time, without having to leave the editor for that purpose. Moreover, it looks like you can change the flags of particular objects, like giving them lods, shadows, visibility and aligning. In short, with this tab we can do stuff that right now requires (boring) manual coding.

Elevation: Now this is the most interesting part. As we know, it is quite a challenge to make a realistic terrain with the desired effects. The ideal would be to have realistic slopes and ridges, but we've yet to see this. For now, I can see that we got a "slope filter" and "direction filter". I barely know what this is, but as an idea, it would be easier to play with the elevation brush, without damaging stuff you have elevated already, depeding on the values you select on the filter. My only hope in this case is to have more terraforming possibilities, just like I have said: making slopes and mountain passes without having to deal with bad terrain geometry.

Water flow: There's still no evidence of what that tab contains, but hey, it wasn't made for the beauty contest (:wink:): that means it should play a role in the editor. The word "flow", easily matches with "direction", so yes, I guess that we'll be able to give flowing direction for rivers, unlike having static water, like it is now. This could also mean making rivers that go down from hills or whatever.

Paint: And here are, probably, the old "ground texture" and "ground paint" tabs in a nutshell. Since the whole editor has improved, it might be possible to choose between more ground textures, and why not add a new one, if you're a modder. We'll see.

Flora: Well, well...the first impression you make when you throw your eyes at this tab should be: "they really weren't lazy to make plants, were they?". Indeed, judging from the scroll bar, we got more plants to play with, and as they said, it is now possible to paint flora in clumps, without having to add them one by one. What's intersting is that stuff got more properties, like weight, hardness, randomization limiters, noise and height.

Inspector: Logically, this should be the mode with which you can check the values of various stuff on the scene or just freely explore it (maybe it is the counterpart of the "Ctrl+H" hotkey we got in Warband).

AI mesh: Right, it's not there (in the screenshots, at least), and I'd be so happy if it didn't exist. Let's cross our fingers and hope that TaleWorlds has an advanced path finding engine that doesn't require one hour of your precious life to "path" a new scene.

That's my thought, and I hope the developers like it too. :razz:

P.S: Until it's not too late, I beg you, don't make the town scenes in bits. Make them be integral.

The Bowman said:

1+

I like that it's more professional. I'm studying Grapichs design in school and I'm getting into Level Designing. It's super fun!
Now it wont feel like it's something so simple that it wont have a educational value, but that from learning and using this level editor
I learn stuff that I can use in the future.

More professional = harder to use = more educational value. :smile:

MadVader said:
So, NO THANKS
If there was such a competition, one of your companions will be called "Turdface" thanks to me  :twisted:

The Bowman said:
AI mesh: Right, it's not there (in the screenshots, at least), and I'd be so happy if it didn't exist. Let's cross our fingers and hope that TaleWorlds has an advanced path finding engine that doesn't require one hour of your precious life to "path" a new scene.

Would be awesome. :smile:

The Bowman said:
Well, I'll drink to that. Especially after my very short and not incredibly successful stint into scene editing.

Back
Top Bottom