Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

Users who are viewing this thread

Avid blog followers and newcomers to the series, in this, our second blog, we're talking about our team of engine programmers and their role in our development process. It is fitting that the engine team sits in the centre of the office, developing the core of the game. The room is generally busy with the comings and goings of demanding developers, the hardware is powerful and the attitude is relaxed and open. Inside dwell the gremlin exterminating gremlins. The light masters. The engine engineers.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/3

The Bowman said:
My theory goes like this: if the new scene editor has weight propreties for objects, there's a possibility for the rest of the stuff to possess this feature; it can be noticed in this screenshot for rubble stones.
While I do think you are right that there will be some kind of physics engine, the weight property is brush weight, not like the heavy/light type of weight. Increasing the weight of the brush would probably increase the amount of rocks you "paint" in that spot.

joegy said:
Just argue with me for gods sake, don't slam me for having an opinion....

Of course you can have your opinion, but you can make it useful by supporting it. Like the straw texture, instead of just saying it looks bad, say why. What can be improved? I did nothing wrong, I just replied to that statement with my opinion, like yours, without supporting it. I said the texture is fine. Did any of those statements have any use or were any helpful? No.

joegy said:
. Those walls can be designed to have less harsh ends so that they merge well with other scene props (like other games), this is very important for reuse of assets in other scenes/towns/etc etc etc as they can be switched around and put next to other buildings and merge seamlessly.

I'm not an expert on this, but how would you merge them seamlessly? When you take a prop and connect it with another prop, the textures will almost always have a sharp edge showing where they meet. I don't know any way to fix it other than blending the two textures of the prop together in the area they meet. But then again, I don't even know much about this apart from the Warband scene editor so if there is a way, please explain it to me. It would be educational for me, and possibly others.

joegy said:
. You're mad because you disagree with my opinion about the look of the game? Sure I appreciate some of the newer aspects and I assume stuff is missing from that photo (as others have mentioned the bump mapping on the floor for example which is probably due to the editors not very fancy shaders), but I cant lie to myself it looks VERY similar to the old M&B. Would hope to (and expect to in the future) see more graphical improvements.

I'm mad because you said the quality of what was shown is the quality of a warband mod. And like I already mentioned, there was no constructive criticism, it was just criticism, even though that statement was completely false. The amount of new features added for the visuals is an amazing step from a game like Warband. The lighting is a huge improvement, there is ambient occlusion (if you look at the bags of grain), and even the rocks are really improved from the Warband rocks.

joegy said:
Obviously gameplay, storyline and background are out of the picture for discussion at the monet as we have nothing to go on as of yet. Very excited for when we do!

Yeah, I'm excited myself, I just really hope they focus more on those aspects. I would gladly sacrifice graphics for gameplay, story, and content. There is a limited amount of resources after all.

I am long time lurker and First Post
However I have been playing Mount and blade: Warband for a while now.

I am very happy that Taleworld is putting together a professional grade level editor for BannerLord. On top of that they are making it available to us! :grin:

My only concern is the art Quallity

Now hear me out -

TaleWorlds is making some very high quallity art assets.
Will us modders be able to match that art quality?

I mean no disrespect or anything I am just asking an honest question.

Why not? There are many skilled artists on the TW, the current engine holds many of them back. I can think of many modders who can easily match Bannerlord's assets.

Antar said:
joegy said:
. Those walls can be designed to have less harsh ends so that they merge well with other scene props (like other games), this is very important for reuse of assets in other scenes/towns/etc etc etc as they can be switched around and put next to other buildings and merge seamlessly.

I'm not an expert on this, but how would you merge them seamlessly? When you take a prop and connect it with another prop, the textures will almost always have a sharp edge showing where they meet. I don't know any way to fix it other than blending the two textures of the prop together in the area they meet. But then again, I don't even know much about this apart from the Warband scene editor so if there is a way, please explain it to me. It would be educational for me, and possibly others.
It's a little visual error. This game is a work in progress.

:twisted great  :grin: i can,t wait to downoad and play mount&blade bannerlord  what is the final date to get that game?

Volkodav said:
Seriously? Alpha? By the looks of it, it seems that taleworlds is already running an early internal beta. But ok... Alpha.

After thinking about it you are right - They more than likely in a early internal beta. Really hope that they release rather soon. :smile:
Anyway I have a few questions about mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord, Modding and a few other things.

1. Will there be a Linux server for bannerlord? This would cut down on allot of costs to run a M&B2 Server.
2. With this new scene editor will there be the ability to create a scene from the file menu and save it from the scene editor?
3. How will module creation work in bannerlord?

Sorry if my questions are rather vague :/

Captain Lust said:
Antar said:
joegy said:

It's a little visual error. This game is a work in progress.

I know I know :smile:

Very exciting.

HeadClot said:
Volkodav said:
Seriously? Alpha? By the looks of it, it seems that taleworlds is already running an early internal beta. But ok... Alpha.

After thinking about it you are right - They more than likely in a early internal beta.

So, what have we seen? A few couple of screenshots with various old warband assets... it's pretty much pre-alpha.
I wouldn't expect any release or even beta before fall 2014.

The game was announced well over a year ago, and it has been in progress for even longer than that. They could be ready for an early access alpha or beta release within the coming months.

Odyseuss said:
The game was announced well over a year ago, and it has been in progress for even longer than that. They could be ready for an early access alpha or beta release within the coming months.

This is true!

Question for everyone - Did they announce multiplayer for Bannerlord? Yes? No?

Back
Top Bottom