Mount & Blade doesn't start [Windows 10]

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm re-necroing this topic, since I just went through the process of getting M&B (original, not Warband) to work on Windows 10.

After several attempts, I found the easiest solution for me was to create a Windows XP virtual machine on my system. I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox (it's free) and installed Windows XP from my original installation CDs. It took awhile to update and configure everything (I also had to install Internet Explorer 8 to get Windows XP to download and install all the old updates Microsoft released before discontinuing support). Anyway, XP is now running as a stable virtual OS within a window of my Windows 10 OS!

I then installed M&B from the original installation file, entered my serial key, and it works -- even my home-made modules are working! I did have to install DirectX SDK first, which is a free download from Microsoft (an error message when starting M&B told me to do this).

The problem I'm having now is that M&B runs extremely slowly, even on the lowest settings. But I think that's a problem with my Windows 10 PC, which is built for work applications instead of games (i.e., the graphics card sucks). The VM VirtualBox software has some settings I can play around with though so I'll see what I can do to speed things up.

Anyway, I wanted to post here in case anyone is still interested in playing M&B on a Windows 10 system -- and, this solution has the advantage that it'll likely work for any other games or software you have that doesn't work when run via "compatibility mode".

Good luck, and have fun continuing the adventures in Calradia!

I'm not going to upgrade, simply because of this. Warband is like my favorite game besides TF2.

This topic is about the original Mount and Blade. As far as I know, M&B warband works flawlesly in the latest version of windows 10.

Mydienon said:
The problem I'm having now is that M&B runs extremely slowly, even on the lowest settings. But I think that's a problem with my Windows 10 PC, which is built for work applications instead of games (i.e., the graphics card sucks). The VM VirtualBox software has some settings I can play around with though so I'll see what I can do to speed things up.

Learned to do all that and I actually did it. Installed M&B on windows XP in a virtual box and managed to make the game work...reaaaaal slow just like you did. On further reasearch I discovered that it's not my laptop's specs (or yours) the problem, but with virtual box. Soooo... M&B on a virtual system is a no go :neutral:

If you want to run old Mount and Blade versions in Windows 8 or Windows 10, try to deactivate the Anti-virus! It was the only way that I found to sucessfully launch the 0.903 version of the game (I have Windows 8.1).

It's not running for me either. Oh sure, it shows it's running in the background or something on task manager but that's about it.

Too bad, as I prefer the original MB world to that of WB.

Back
Top Bottom