More weapon slots (with limitations)

Users who are viewing this thread

In Mount and Blade, nobody carried knife. Why would you? But in real life, everyone always carried knives because why not? Knives should be something you can always carry regardless of what else you have.

In real life cavalry sometimes carried a lot of weaponry. Though not necessarily that common, sometimes soldier might have lance, some missile weapons (1-2 slots), sword, shield and mace. Horse can carry that quite well. How about allow horses to carry extra slot of equipment?

You could increase time it takes to swap from one weapon to another more weapons you have, since you do need to carry that somewhere on you, and it would make it harder to actually swap anything. Also should decrease walking speed.

So as infantry you might have

spear
shield
sword
knife
war darts

and as cavalry you might have

lance
shield
sword
mace
knife
bow
arrows

Also would be really nice to actually make spears useful. In real life, they were go to weapon, with swords only being sidearms most of the time. Maces would primarily only be used against heavily armored opponets. Knives would only be used to finish off enemies or in emergencies. Usually it would just be used to cut bread. And horse could easily carry bow and arrows.

And when you place away your polearm, i think it should be carried on your shield hand. That would be far more realistic. You should also be limited to 1 polearm per soldier, throwing weapons excluded.

In terms of the basic principle, I broadly support having more slots, particularly on horseback. However, I pondered over this myself some years ago, and ran into a difficulty- if you have access to more weapons on horseback, when you dismount which weapon gets left behind? Because you don't want to be cycling through your weapons to say which will be left in whatever pouch, scabbard or slung over a saddle horn on the horse; you want to get off the horse at the single press of a button. Which means the game must decide for you which weapon is left behind on the horse. Now, that could be randomised, which could leave you in a sticky situation- leaving behind your favourite sword or a shield when facing many archers. Perhaps having a default weapon chosen to be left on the horse upon dismounting would work- but only if you didn't want to use that weapon in the specific instance in which you are dismounting. For example, you might be alone and are being pursued by multiple enemy cavalry- you reach a tower and decide to dismount and shoot at them from inside with your bow. But what if the bow gets left behind? In other situations you might want to dismount and use a long cavalry lance on foot, to defend against skilled enemy horsemen or to aid an infantry fight without getting into sword range. So I don't see a solution (I can't remember whether I or anyone else reached one years ago when I myself posted about this).

You also mention knives, which you correctly state were used to finish people off. Indeed, they could also be useful in very close quarters, particularly if one found oneself grappling with an opponent- but unfortunately such situations are not represented in M&B. It is never really as practical to use a knife in the game as it would be any sword, unless perhaps in singleplayer if you were jammed up against the enemy in the front line of a mob of men. But on the whole I think the combat of M&B would have to change and have more realistic movement added to make knives a useful option. I think you shot your own idea in the foot somewhat by pointing out that they are mainly used to finish off people and eat food with, things we don't do in M&B.

Then again, it wouldn't harm to have a knife slot; people could hardly complain it wasn't realistic because they are so light and unobtrusive, and therefore can easily be carried in a small scabbard on the belt. If nothing else, they would add to the roleplaying aspect of the game, something that could be worn in most non-combat situations. Also, if they were to be included, I think it would be best to only be able to access them with a hotkey rather than including them in the regular weapon cycle- most of the time one won't want to use a knife, so having to cycle past it, or accidentally select it rather than a bow or lance, would be frustrating.

I agree about polearms being held on the back, I would gladly say goodbye to it, and to only having one polearm per soldier. I think some people might be uncomfortable with the latter at first, but if such a thing were to be implemented I expect that people would learn to embrace it and find it improved the game.

+DanAngleland

We have 4 slots in WB.
They shall add two more slots under those 4 slots but with a different color and state that after dismounting those weapons will stay on horse.

If player dismounts while he holds one of them, then only the other one will be left on horse and the player will carry 5 weapons until he switches his weapon.After switching his weapon that weapon will be dropped.

For the daggers, yet another slot next to the footwear.Of which only daggers can be put.

EDIT: This is a cursory solution made by me.
A better solution would be with even more differences between the slots.
1-A slot for the back(long polearms can only be put in this slot)
2-two slots for the belly(1h weapons, small bows(not longbows)
3-one slot for throwing knifes on the chest(requires buying a knife carrier from a Merchant)
throwing-knives-warrior.jpg

4-one more slot for even more throwig knifes on the chest(requires buying the same stuff twice)
TKSUnderarm-1000x1000.jpg

or instead of 3 and 4 only 3 but for throwing axes
AxeBandolier-1000x1000.jpg

5-right side of horse(only 1h weapons or a bow or a bag of arrows)(if you have a horse ofc)
6-left side of horse(same with right side of horse)
7-a dagger slot for your boots.

DanAngleland said:
You also mention knives, which you correctly state were used to finish people off. Indeed, they could also be useful in very close quarters, particularly if one found oneself grappling with an opponent- but unfortunately such situations are not represented in M&B. It is never really as practical to use a knife in the game as it would be any sword, unless perhaps in singleplayer if you were jammed up against the enemy in the front line of a mob of men. But on the whole I think the combat of M&B would have to change and have more realistic movement added to make knives a useful option. I think you shot your own idea in the foot somewhat by pointing out that they are mainly used to finish off people and eat food with, things we don't do in M&B.

Then again, it wouldn't harm to have a knife slot; people could hardly complain it wasn't realistic because they are so light and unobtrusive, and therefore can easily be carried in a small scabbard on the belt. If nothing else, they would add to the roleplaying aspect of the game, something that could be worn in most non-combat situations. Also, if they were to be included, I think it would be best to only be able to access them with a hotkey rather than including them in the regular weapon cycle- most of the time one won't want to use a knife, so having to cycle past it, or accidentally select it rather than a bow or lance, would be frustrating.
I guess if you were playing as an archer, and wanted to fill all your weapons slots with your bow and 3 sets of arrows, it would be handy to have a knife slot. But most sensible people would probably take one less set of arrows and a more useful melee weapon, so that would only be catering to a small niche.

Maybe have it so that if you have a knife in your knife slot, it will be equipped when you sheathe your main weapon, replacing fists(which are even more useless in battle). Could also make bar fights more interesting.

Vandien said:
DanAngleland said:

I guess if you were playing as an archer, and wanted to fill all your weapons slots with your bow and 3 sets of arrows, it would be handy to have a knife slot. But most sensible people would probably take one less set of arrows and a more useful melee weapon, so that would only be catering to a small niche.

Maybe have it so that if you have a knife in your knife slot, it will be equipped when you sheathe your main weapon, replacing fists(which are even more useless in battle). Could also make bar fights more interesting.

HAHAHAHAHA  I support  this idea. And If you could customize your knife, roleplay would intensifie even more.

bjorntheconquerer said:
just adding aditional slot for knive or throwing knives will be good. but adding more than that is not realistic, I guess

Maybe the number of slots could vary depending on the type of armor, like letting light armor have throwing knives and a dagger and heavy armor only the dagger.

Rice lover said:
bjorntheconquerer said:
just adding aditional slot for knive or throwing knives will be good. but adding more than that is not realistic, I guess

Maybe the number of slots could vary depending on the type of armor, like letting light armor have throwing knives and a dagger and heavy armor only the dagger.

What in your opinion is the difference between light and heavy armor?

lolbash said:
Rice lover said:
bjorntheconquerer said:

This wasn't meant to be realistic, it was more of an idea to make light armor more attractive.

Rice lover said:
lolbash said:
Rice lover said:
bjorntheconquerer said:

This wasn't meant to be realistic, it was more of an idea to make light armor more attractive.

Yeah I disagree with trying to give light armor benefits over heavy armor that isint speed and agility.

I'm all for having an extra slot when using a horse. i really make sense that whether your on foot or on horse back you still carry the same amount.

Back
Top Bottom