Modulated: Mech Arena Combat, IndieGoGo campaign up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice demo. :smile:

Definitely a bad control scheme though, I'm assuming that the other one is more like the MechWarrior games with the mouse rotating the torso/arms and the keyboard controlling leg movement? Because not being able to look and shoot and walk in different directions changes the gameplay pretty massively.

The change camera key doesn't seem to do anything on my system for some reason and I know it's an early alpha and all, but you might want to raise the camera angle a bit further for third person, as it is you can't really see where you're firing unless you aim down.

Edit:
Nevermind, got it working. For some reason the mouse was locking up whenever I moved, moving back inline with the mechs legs, fixed it by blowing myself up. Still would prefer a leg based orientation system for controlling movement, but the current set-up works fine.

I liked the part with the robots. Actually there was one robot that wouldn't die for some reason.

Moss said:

Definitely a bad control scheme though, I'm assuming that the other one is more like the MechWarrior games with the mouse rotating the torso/arms and the keyboard controlling leg movement? Because not being able to look and shoot and walk in different directions changes the gameplay pretty massively.

The change camera key doesn't seem to do anything on my system for some reason and I know it's an early alpha and all, but you might want to raise the camera angle a bit further for third person, as it is you can't really see where you're firing unless you aim down.

Edit:
Nevermind, got it working. For some reason the mouse was locking up whenever I moved, moving back inline with the mechs legs, fixed it by blowing myself up. Still would prefer a leg based orientation system for controlling movement, but the current set-up works fine.

That's strange, does it happen every time you start it? Also, did the C button work after that?
What it does is making you able to rotate the camera without rotating the aim, so you can orbit around and look at the character.

Oh, also, the mousewheel zooms in and out.

Huh. I think the problem was that I must have left free look on by accident when I was trying to get C to do something, which was why the mech kept facing the same direction.

I vaguely remember being able to get the torso to move to face the camera direction as long as I stood still, but I may have just imagined that.

I'm dropping the alternate control scheme, there was some fundamental problem in how it would behave.
Basically, I was trying to setup a very strict movement for the mech, so that it could only move at set speeds.

Could you imagine perhaps controlling a slow cannon or turret, where you can aim freely, however the weapon itself will follow your aim at it's own pace?
That's what I was trying to setup for the torso. However with the legs already behaving like that themselves, the torso and legs rotating indipendently at a delayed pace just felt awkward and illogical.
It would have been useful in the RPG department though, as I could make equipments and upgrades for increasing the rotation speed of the mech, adding some depth.
Do you go for the quick setup, or the powerhouse setup? Do you tackle the slower enemies by circling around them faster than how they can aim? etc.
I may be able to work that in another way though, into the AI itself rather than the mechs perhaps, I'll have to think about it.
If it's worth it.

I also tried simply limiting the amount you could control the camera, but it just felt extremely restrictive to basically have a very low, set sensetivity.

I also raised the camera, so you should be able to see where you are aiming now.

Unless there's any other suggestions, I'll be making a charging system to the energy weapons, where you can charge up the blast if you hold the fire button down.
I'll also finish up the mech itself.

After that I'll probably either work in a menu system where you can add and remove parts, or get in a basic AI opponent and setup a simple arena and expand the game from there.

Experimenting would some different weapons could be fun for down time? Plus everyone likes to see new weapons in videos / demos.

Consider a simple machine gun, for example.

So...

I haven't written anything to you guys for a while, I am still around and I am still hyped.
I have just moved out of the country, and the building I live in now isn't finished, there's practically no internet, construction work going on all day long, and I am sitting on a laptop. I just have been too busy.  :razz:

I may be changing the name to Modulated, by the way. As I want to have a big focus on the parts.

It'll probably catch on better than anything with 'Sweat' in the title. It doesn't bother me but take Revan in the Bear Force threads as an example.

Mehtul Bawkses Extreme is a good name IMO.

Also, obligatory:

130879369176.jpg

Austupaio said:
It'll probably catch on better than anything with 'Sweat' in the title. It doesn't bother me but take Revan in the Bear Force threads as an example.

Revan Shan can go suck my thumbs.

The day I accomodate people like him, is the day the world ends.

Just letting you know I am still working on it, I just want something much more complete and playable before I start releasing an alpha.

At first it will just be arena fights where you earn money for parts (almost there), but I hope to eventually expand on it, exploring ruins for parts and scavenging, crafting, research, RPG features, maybe a base with replaceable crew, etc.

Crafting for parts you imply? Would this system be entirely freeform. IE. modular parts of modular parts of modular parts for the mech? It'd be quite awesome if we can customize parts of parts ourselves as we customize mechs.

I don't know, I'll need to have a look at how hard that would be to implement. I was thinking of having various versions of the same parts at least, like various grades of quality, as well as some modifications to how they behave.

Edit: Actually, I already know how to do it, the parts themselves are made the same way.  Though the implementation is relatively simple, It'll take some time to get to it, It'll also take quite a while to create all the content neccesary for such feature to be useful.

Ah, how I love the shaders of modern game engines.

This is what the arena looks like without any shading, what the arena probably would have looked like in say, 2000:
Unlit.jpg
Take a moment to look at it. See if you can make anything out.

Now, open the spoiler below.
Lit.jpg

It's actually still at a very basic, prototype level. I'll be adding more details in both more models and more details in the materials as things get more finished. And the lighting is actually quite horrendous at the moment.  :razz:

Also, two bonus screenshots:
Perspective-1.jpg
Menu.jpg

Pretty much everything in the menu is animated

Back
Top Bottom