Map edit, mods and other tools' release and why this is more important than you think

Do you agree that release of mod support, map editor and tools like these are urgent as stated below

• yes

Votes: 119 75.8%
  • no

Votes: 42 26.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello,

I just wanted to make a thread to perhaps catch TW's attention about the mod support and other tools like map editor and such. I wanted to start this thread seperately to measure and manifest the public opinion on this matter to the devs.

With the current state of the game, multiplayer especially, we only have some decent matchmaking systems for 3 modes and 3-4 tdm servers (for eu) running with the same map for a VERY long time now dating even before the EA release. The skirmish also has a map rotation of 3 maps(if I am not mistaken?) -anyhow, there is no need to get into further detail, you get the point.

The release obviously was a success and due to this virus business :c it was obviously even more succesfull than it ever could. We have a lot of completely new players joining this community, and consequently a lot of people wanting to have a quality multiplayer experience.

First and foremost, Right now, the game has the attention of a LOT of players, and the multiplayer experience is arguably getting dull after trying out the limited set of modes and maps. This is obviously normal and TW is not to blame, the game is in EA, however releasing even very limited tools even in some "alpha" version would greatly help, because the main thing is the more you wait to introduce proper modding into the game, the more players you are likely to lose. A lot of these new players are obviously trying this game out, and the current state of MP is a good attempt, a very decent one yes, but has around 2-3 months of lifetime. The sooner you introduce modding and the sooner you show what this game is capable of TO the new playerbase, you can get them engaged with the game in a whole different level.

Secondly, the sooner you release these tools, the sooner much larger and ambitious mods (I'm not only talking about new maps and reskins etc at this point) will not only come out. So to put it basically I am simply trying to say that apart from bugfixes and much "larger" issues with the game, these tools should be introduced asap in order not not lose the interest of the new playerbase. Of course you can gather interest later on with maybe big updates and advertisements, but these very specific circumstances effecting the playercount due to recent release combined with the fact that lots of us are in isolation due to virus creates a great opportunity. I know a number of these players will inevitably fade away in time, but I simply proposing a strategy to retain as many as possible.

Please vote and feel free to share your thoughts on the matter. Perhaps you think I am wrong but I just wanted to share this on behalf of myself and a number of my friends playing this game. Also to show that there is a significant (or maybe not, I dont know) demand for this.

Thank you. :xf-smile:

Last edited:
I absolutely adore mods, and already have several tweaking mods I consider as "must have" but still, as things are now, modding tools for extensive modding would be a hard pass in my opinion now. The Devs aren't done with the game yet, and we don't know what kind of changes are still ahead. I don't feel like it's the right time to start huge projects for anyone. Neither the Devs providing the tools nor the modders using them on an unfinished game.
Also, I'm afraid the release and maintenance of good modding tools now would only distract from their main task, finishing the vanilla game. However, I hope we get them once they're mostly done with the game.

Besides, on another note, TW doesn't really have anything to gain from keeping the MP from fizzling out. They can work on it and revive it later. It's not like the players can't just come back when there's more content to satisfy their needs. Bought is bought.

Apart from our friendship, I totaly agree with you. Mount and Blade's community is mianly based on modded multiplayer and singleplayer. If the foundations of the modding part is late, the new players will not be able to see the game's capability and ultimately they will quit playing the game. Yes, no need to rush but, it would be good to see news or developments about mods.

Apart from our friendship, I totaly agree with you. Mount and Blade's community is mianly based on modded multiplayer and singleplayer. If the foundations of the modding part is late, the new players will not be able to see the game's capability and ultimately they will quit playing the game. Yes, no need to rush but, it would be good to see news or developments about mods.

Yes exactly. I dont really expect some form of "urgent release wowowo" or such right now, but TW giving a little bit of love to these matters would be greatly appreciated I am sure.

The reality is that almost all content players will want to play will be generated by the players. Restricting the tools necessary to create player content, even if those tools aren't yet finalized, will only do long term harm to both the multiplayer and single player experiences.

At a base, the map editor needs to be made available as soon as possible.

Indeed. I think the thing makes Mount&Blade played is its mods. Without mods, Mount&Blade will have a really short playtime like two hundred hours for example. I played warband for more than thousand hours and without its mods I wouldn't. I really think modding is necessary for Mount&Blade. I support this.

The reality is that almost all content players will want to play will be generated by the players. Restricting the tools necessary to create player content, even if those tools aren't yet finalized, will only do long term harm to both the multiplayer and single player experiences.

At a base, the map editor needs to be made available as soon as possible.

yesss

rep rep rep

You guys do realize the point of early access is to catch game breaking bugs in the current state of the game right? It’s basically a testing stage, if you allow mods you not only lose testers but devs are going to waste a lot of time looking at bug reports that were caused by someone’s my little pony skins mod. Additionally, if total conversion mods begin work on the game in it’s current state I’ll bet my arm and a leg whatever work they complete will be Incompatible with the game after a few months seeing how quickly things are changing. Mod tools should be released when early access ends. Warband didn’t have total conversion mods until 2 years after its release! Custom servers for multiplayer should come sooner though.

Mods are the best thing about PC gaming.

I agree that proper mod tools need to be a priority.

I modded for Kingdom Come Deliverance when the game came out. The single most damaging mistake those devs made was putting mod tools in the END of their roadmap. They only released tools after all their dlc and patches. The result? A very active modding scene on the nexus slowly died out and the KCD nexus is now a ghost town, with inactive modders and outdated mods. Now no one talks about KCD anymore. And the tools that they released are used by no one. When the game was close to release, famous mod teams posted about their interest in creating a Game of Thrones overhaul mod and many other mega projects. Never... to ... be... heard.. of ... again.

That said, I'm pretty sure TW wants to support the modding community as much as possible. After all, modders made Bannerlord possible.

I love mods myself and I can't wait for proper support for them to be available, but I don't think it makes much sense for that to happen until the game has a well defined structure. Maybe they have already designed their game so that it is possible to release mod tools, and any change they make to the game won't affect the mod tools at all. In that case, sure, that would be neat.

On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense to release modding tools that need to be changed over and over during early access. That would be difficult to manage for both the developers and the modding community, and I don't think it would be good for anyone.

I agree. At least release something that will be easy to update such as warband's open brf where people can just mix and match the costumes. Or even the map/scene editor. These changes are separate and easy to update.

As a long term Warband player i generally agree with this topic. SP has got limited playtime if you want this game to be more cathy you should able to "modding community" soon.

It is not a should, it is a must as Warband -for 10 years- lived and got improved by thousands of mods and modders. Thanks to their contrubitions we had a living game. Now, once again, we need them asap.

Agreed, however for them to release something that's in a (possibly) unstable state against an already unstable game needs to be done carefully and limitedly. Maybe if they released some tools that they know work and are compatible with things already in the game that aren't getting tweaked or changed could be handy, map editor for example

I think mods are the biggest factor that makes the game so popular and long-playable.Tools should be provided to modders as soon as possible.
Modders can start contributing to the game with you.So I agree @SGaming_Can on this subject.

no modder is crazy enough to release a total conversion mod when the game is getting updated and changed daily, modding tools should come with the final release of the game otherwise a lot of bugs will be just people playing with weird mods, effectively slowing down development

+1, mods took ike 85% of my time play in warband.
I lost countless hours in Mods like
- Game of thrones
- Prophesy of pendor
- Lord of the rings
- Perisno
- Warhammer 40k mods.
I say release the kraken, let the modders start the work.

+1 already i have been using the limited mods from the nexus in single player without it I would of stopped playing a while ago i understand TW wanting to keep people focused on the base game but as it stands there is not vast amounts of content to keep people playing it for a long period of time (Ai issues making it way to easy for me campaign/tactical/combat). Give your game what it needs right now let the modders loose!

Mods kept m&b alive for years. Mods made this society. Native may be the spin but the mods are the rest of the organism.

Back
Top Bottom