SP - General Make war make more operational and strategic sense

Users who are viewing this thread

A few issues are happening when two kingdoms are at war that make no sense at all. I'll list the issues first and then discuss them one at a time.
1. Marching past enemy castles or towns to besiege a settlement.
2. Parking your huge army in a neutral city.
3. Declaring war on an enemy with whom no common border is shared (meaning you have to march across a neutral kingdom to fight)
4. Changing targets (still happens despite patch notes saying that was fixed)

Issue 1. Marching past settlements in war. I bring up this issue under the assumption that the castles and cities are strategic targets. You have to take them to win the game. You don't conquer Calradia by not taking them. The cities on the map are the equivalent of London, Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, Mareille, Manchester, York, Bern, Bonn, Heidelberg, Madrid, etc. They are the capitals and major cities of the world upon which the economy is built. The castles are equivalent to Chateau D'Anger, Bamburg Castle, Neuschwanstein Castle, Windsor Castle, etc overlooking strategic points along avenues of approach or sea lanes. If you bypass a piece of key terrain like this, your lines of supply will be attacked. This will make owning a castle or city more meaningful.
SUGGESTION: Implement zones of control. If an enemy army bypasses a city or castle to march further into enemy territory they should take increased hits to their food, morale, and experience increasing desertion as simulated affects of having your supply lines harangued by the garrisons of those sites you bypassed. The further you go into enemy territory without securing your supply lines, the more those penalties should increase. So, if you want to march form Sargot to take Epicrotea, you better bring an obscene amount of food, which means obscene amounts of pack animals and a very slow moving army. Or... you have to raid villages along the way to sustain your troops. But with this, I also say allow the kingdom that owns the village to burn it as well. Make scorched earth a viable option to defend your kingdom. Of course you will take a hit to loyalty from the villagers whose homes you scuttled, but such is war. If it stops Derthert from marching from Sargot to take Epicrotea... so be it.

Issue 2. Parking your army in neutral cities. This shouldn't be a thing... unless you're allied to that kingdom. Alas, we aren't able to establish alliances in this game. So, during the crusades, armies of crusaders would march across Europe and they presumably camped somewhere on the way down into Italy or wherever in Southern Europe they were headed. So, it happened. But they were crusaders. The Pope decreed it so there was a level of tolerance for camping crusaders. But England ain't parking their army in Paris on the way to invading Switzerland. If an English Army parked outside Paris that would indicate England and France are at war.. or allied. But again, alliances aren't a thing.
SUGGESTION: Implement a diplomacy feature where you ask permission to cross someone's land to invade another kingdom. Also, increase prices for foreign armies that park in the neutral kingdom's cities. If the neutral lord does sell food to the foreign army, then loyalty of the local citizens should decrease as they will now experience a food shortage because their lord decided to get rich off selling their food. This will force any invading army to actually make preparations prior to invading.. like they would in real life. Stock up on supplies before you leave, which will slow you down. And as such reduce snow balling.

Issue 3. Warring against people with whom no common border is shared. This happened in Medieval Europe, so I can't say it's completely unrealistic. But again, generally it was the major powers marching across the lands of minor principalities. Again, France isn't going to allow England to trample through their lands to invade Switzerland or Italy. England would not allow France to sail up the Thames and then march up to invade Scotland. Spain won't allow France to march through their lands to invade Portugal. The disunited German and Italian Principalities. Yes. All day. Don't care if I hurt your feelings. I'm marching my army across your land to invade your neighbor. But we don't have minor "kingdoms" like those in this game. Again, all the Kingdoms are major power players. The other option for invading somebody with whom you don't share a border is naval landings. We don't have navies in this game, so that's not an option.
SUGGESTION: Implement the recommendations in Issue 2 for starters. But also make the AI more likely to declare war on it's neighbors rather than going expeditionary. Also, if we're not adding actual navies, at least add a feature where you can march your army to a port city and select any of a few pre-established landing zones. Once you select "Launch Naval Expedition", you wait however many days it would take your ships to sail there and your Army shows up on that foreign soil. Once your Army is landed, you go and attack wherever you want in that kingdom. The enemy should be able to capture the landing site though. If they capture your beachhead then your lines of supply are jacked (see issue 1). You also cannot retreat back to your kingdom if the available naval landing zones are under enemy control. Which means you have to march through neutral territory to get home. So you have to ask permission (See Issue 2) to retreat through neutral territory. If the neutral lord says no, but you do it anyway, you risk war.

Issue 4. Changing Targets. I don't know about anybody else, but the AI is still frequently changing targets. I know the patch notes said this was addressed and should be reduced. Maybe it is reduced. But it still happens often enough... both in 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.
SUGGESTION: Implement penalties to morale and army cohesion if the Army leader veers off the path towards the designated target or takes too long to seize the target. Once you form an army there should be another pop up for "select your target". You then click on the castle or city you want to attack. After that, you can do whatever you want. If you select Danustica as your target, but then decide you want to go besiege Vostrum. So be it. But you take a morale and Cohesion penalty. This will dramatically reduce snowballing I think. If the AI decides to change targets, they lose time because their army will fall apart if they don't take the most expeditious route to their initially designated target. Also, to simulate some aspects of campaign preparation like scouting and spying etc., you should get small performance boosts for actually attacking the target you designated at the beginning. 5% damage inflicted for all troops or increased movement speed or something like that. And you should face performance penalties for attacking a castle for which you did not prepare. -5% damage inflicted along with morale penalties. This of course should only be if you're going off your target's path. For example, if I'm in Marunath and I designate Epicrotea as my target, I'm not penalized if I besiege Seonon because Seonon is on the way from Marunath to Epicrotea. But these penalties do take affect if I decide to make a left turn and go besiege Varcheg, or Flintolg Castle or Revyl.

Obviously if you remain unaffiliated and just want to go prancing around all of Calradia you can. I get my recommendations take away from the open world aspect of this. Maybe they can be implemented as campaign options rather than hard-wired.

Yeah I feel like the map at the momment is just a collection of random locations, without much thought going into it. Castle locations make for the most part absolutely no sense. Village locations is confusing. Cities for the most part are arguably more of an economic nature than strategic, so wherever they go its arguably ok.

As for your suggestion I'm not sure that the engine has the capability to implement zones of control, if so it would be great. I think that the problem is that logistics, other than the AI being dumb, play no role in this game, distances are too short and armies can carry supplies for an year without even breaking a sweat or a reduce in speed. Usually my party of 160 is faster than a group of 20 bandits while having 20.000 kilos of assorted goods like Clay and Hardwood in my inventory.... its just ridiculous.

It would be great if the game had a resupply system, where Caravans (not Formula 1 caravans) had to go back and forth to the armies in order to resupply food. Raiding villages would actually make sense as well, it doesn't make any sense at all at the momment. Cities sell way way too much food also.

I really like the suggestions in this thread, and the ones that are possible should be implemented.

My notions of how this game should work are heavily influenced by the Total War Series. I don't want them to turn this into a Total War game because what they've created is pretty awesome. But I think some of this stuff would add to the realism of it. I guess the question is how much realism does their target audience want and as you mentioned, what is the engine capable of doing? Anyway, just my two cents on what I'd like to see in the game. Honestly though, there's so many dang bugs in this game I don't know if they'll ever be able to dig themselves out of the bug hole to make substantial changes like I've recommended.

My notions of how this game should work are heavily influenced by the Total War Series. I don't want them to turn this into a Total War game because what they've created is pretty awesome. But I think some of this stuff would add to the realism of it. I guess the question is how much realism does their target audience want and as you mentioned, what is the engine capable of doing?

Yeah, it is clear that this is drawn from Total War because there was nothing stopping a medieval army from bypassing a castle. Medieval armies didn't (generally) have supply lines; they just lived off their local area until it was exhausted then moving on. A castle without a garrison capable of threatening the army itself meant very little, with the best example being the Black Prince's campaigns of pillage across France in 1355 and 1356; his force of about 12,000 strong bypassing anything with walls in favor of plundering soft targets. French castles didn't do a damned thing to stop him.

Anyway, in context of Bannerlord, there are no lines of supply. You can carry all the food you'll ever need just on the backs of your men and horses. It is easier, faster and far more effective to just buy it than raiding villages for it. Doubling consumption or tripling it or increasing it by an order of magnitude won't really matter and it won't even really make an army slower:
(I get so much mileage out of this picture)
AW3zsR3.png
If you don't want to bother clicking the pic, it shows a party of 210 men carrying over three and a half years (in-game) worth of food, for a total speed penalty of -0.12.

But you take a morale and Cohesion penalty. This will dramatically reduce snowballing I think. If the AI decides to change targets, they lose time because their army will fall apart if they don't take the most expeditious route to their initially designated target.

Taking a cohesion penalty for changing targets is going to increase snowballing because factions with fewer, smaller and weaker armies will be punished for trying to defend their holdings. This is going to have the exact opposite effect you think it will, in other words.

Also, players will be able to exploit said feature by using their influence-free clan-only party. Whenever cohesion declines you can boost it up for free as long as only clan parties are enlisted in your army. And with Leadership 125+, your morale is locked up to 100 anyway (your party has to be literally starving with a -30 malus to make it budge lower) so that won't really matter either, unless you make the morale penalty for changing targets really, really hurt (like think -50). But the AI is under the same rules, so that means their morale is going to get zeroed out...

The bit about neutral armies through settlements is good though, at least as long as the AI can be taught how to manage with that limitation.

Yeah, it is clear that this is drawn from Total War because there was nothing stopping a medieval army from bypassing a castle. Medieval armies didn't (generally) have supply lines; they just lived off their local area until it was exhausted then moving on. A castle without a garrison capable of threatening the army itself meant very little, with the best example being the Black Prince's campaigns of pillage across France in 1355 and 1356; his force of about 12,000 strong bypassing anything with walls in favor of plundering soft targets. French castles didn't do a damned thing to stop him.

Anyway, in context of Bannerlord, there are no lines of supply. You can carry all the food you'll ever need just on the backs of your men and horses. It is easier, faster and far more effective to just buy it than raiding villages for it. Doubling consumption or tripling it or increasing it by an order of magnitude won't really matter and it won't even really make an army slower:

If an army didn't have supply lines it was because it was sending parties all over the place to raid villages. In the example you use, the Black Prince goal was to cause destruction, not conquer a city deep into France, in fact he didn't, he just raided and pillaged and then got back.

What one has to consider, and this are dimensions that the game, due to the nature of it, doesn't simulate well, is the impact of having a city in the middle of an enemy territory in war time or peace time.

Your army can't stay in the region to protect that single conquered city forever, if it does, then it needs a supply line, so its just a question of time until the Castle you didn't conquer gets a war party going that will raid your own lands and the supply line.

If your army moves on and the war continues, then that Castle will be a constant threat, you can't do anything with your new conquered city, merchants can't go there, sending parties to do whatever jobs is extremely risky and so on.

In peace time, your enemy might host in his own Castle territory Bandits that will attack your trade line from your city to your domain, he may also tax heavily the passage of people and goods, etc...

In real life when a ruler wanted to conquer a certain area, we see that they went to extreme lenghts to conquer certain Castles, even Castles in the middle of nothing at the cost of sometimes many months and thousands of lives.

Conquering a Castle shouldn't be a clean up job after a big war in Bannerlord, it should be essential, otherwise they serve almost no function.

I wonder if somehow adding influence zones to castles is the way to go for them to be more meaningful.

Funily enough,"influence" zones play a role for weather (snow) and movement speed, but no economic or other aspect of the game is handled via zones / a discrete territorial aspect.

I wonder if somehow adding influence zones to castles is the way to go for them to be more meaningful.

Funily enough,"influence" zones play a role for weather (snow) and movement speed, but no economic or other aspect of the game is handled via zones / a discrete territorial aspect.

The snow penalty does nothing at this point.

In real life when a ruler wanted to conquer a certain area, we see that they went to extreme lenghts to conquer certain Castles, even Castles in the middle of nothing at the cost of sometimes many months and thousands of lives.

Yes, because those castles actually mattered. Look at the castles currently in Bannerlord. Their placement is random.

If an army didn't have supply lines it was because it was sending parties all over the place to raid villages. In the example you use, the Black Prince goal was to cause destruction, not conquer a city deep into France, in fact he didn't, he just raided and pillaged and then got back.

Yes, I said as much. As for my example, it was that to make the point that his force, 12,000 strong, didn't have supply lines to cut. That's why he was free to bypass the castles; there was effectively zero penalty for it if they didn't host a garrison strong enough to threaten either his army in whole or the individual columns in the field. In the very local area they could threaten foraging parties but we don't have foraging parties in Bannerlord.

Last edited:
Yes, because those castles actually mattered. Look at the castles currently in Bannerlord. Their placement is random.

Yes, I said as much. As for my example, it was that to make the point that his force, 12,000 strong, didn't have supply lines to cut. That's why he was free to bypass the castles; there was effectively zero penalty for it if they didn't host a garrison strong enough to threaten either his army in whole or the individual columns in the field. In the very local area they could threaten foraging parties but we don't have foraging parties in Bannerlord.

Yeah and I agree that one shouldn't be "blocked" from conquering whatever or going wherever because there's some Castle somewhere, but there should be mechanics to make sure that if one goes conquering cities and leaves the Castles alone, there will be harsh consequences eventually. And the AI should behave in a way that makes sense in this regard, which for the most part, isn't all that bad, I rarely see the AI doing border gore conquering.

But what would be the consequences of influence zones? What are their mechanics? How do they make it important for the Player to not ignore the Castle and go on a City Conquering Spree?

But what would be the consequences of influence zones? What are their mechanics? How do they make it important for the Player to not ignore the Castle and go on a City Conquering Spree?

Not sure. Movement speed, food drain, morale loss? I have a hard time imagening zone influences with how mobile the bannerlord Map plays. Perhaps thats the point: mobility is by far the biggest factor on the map. Which makes for fast and fluid gameplay but kinda clashes with the whole siege and castle thing.

Not sure. Movement speed, food drain, morale loss? I have a hard time imagening zone influences with how mobile the bannerlord Map plays. Perhaps thats the point: mobility is by far the biggest factor on the map. Which makes for fast and fluid gameplay but kinda clashes with the whole siege and castle thing.

Yeah I agree, that fluidity is what makes the game great but at the same time complicates balance when it comes to static gameplay. In the end its a design choice by the devs. I for one prefer complex and difficult gameplay, the more problems thrown at me the better, the only thing is that if they are repetitive its important to make them intuitive and quick in real time to resolve.

In the end I think that the easiest and most faithful design choice for the Castle issue could be helped with them:
1. Being well placed strategically.
2. The capability to create a War Party that stays in the Castle and attacks every possible target, like Caravans.
3. Make Castles more relevant economically.
4. Make the AI not ignore them as much. (Which in my experience they don't ignore them a lot, so this point might be a bit unfair)

Yeah I agree, that fluidity is what makes the game great but at the same time complicates balance when it comes to static gameplay. In the end its a design choice by the devs. I for one prefer complex and difficult gameplay, the more problems thrown at me the better, the only thing is that if they are repetitive its important to make them intuitive and quick in real time to resolve.

In the end I think that the easiest and most faithful design choice for the Castle issue could be helped with them:
1. Being well placed strategically.
2. The capability to create a War Party that stays in the Castle and attacks every possible target, like Caravans.
3. Make Castles more relevant economically.
4. Make the AI not ignore them as much. (Which in my experience they don't ignore them a lot, so this point might be a bit unfair)

Yea, and if a castle had a smallish zone of influence around it where it would automatically attack parties trying to pass through (range attacks, perhaps siege weapons if the castle is developed enough), they could blockg the strategically important area or at least make it harder to pass through. Maybe lower omevement speed too, so that one is in attack range longer. So that castle have at least some relevance to the area surrounding them.

Thing is, I am not sure how to gel this with the fluid gameplay on the map, which , as you said is probably by design , and I really like it that way. It reminds of Sid Meier's Pirates and the like. It's a hard nut to crack.

Last edited:

(I get so much mileage out of this picture)

Taking a cohesion penalty for changing targets is going to increase snowballing because factions with fewer, smaller and weaker armies will be punished for trying to defend their holdings. This is going to have the exact opposite effect you think it will, in other words.

Also, players will be able to exploit said feature by using their influence-free clan-only party. Whenever cohesion declines you can boost it up for free as long as only clan parties are enlisted in your army. And with Leadership 125+, your morale is locked up to 100 anyway (your party has to be literally starving with a -30 malus to make it budge lower) so that won't really matter either, unless you make the morale penalty for changing targets really, really hurt (like think -50). But the AI is under the same rules, so that means their morale is going to get zeroed out...

The bit about neutral armies through settlements is good though, at least as long as the AI can be taught how to manage with that limitation.

All good counterpoints my man. Check it out. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what all would go into doing any of this. So, my ideas here are conceptual. It's just a "tip of the iceberg" look at what could be done to improve the game. Sure there are holes in what I came up with. But I think the professionals at TW can fill in some of those holes. And if they can't then the idea just dies on the vine and we move on.

Regarding your comparison to the The Black Prince's Chevauches... it's tough for me to see that comparison. It's hard to translate Calradia to Europe in any century. But if you just assume that each of the Kingdoms are as large as a generic European country, the comparison doesn't work for me. There's a couple of reasons for that. 1. Distances. I can't tell you how far a mile is in the game. However, if you look at the Black Prince's and other chevauchees on a map, they were essentially cross border incursions in geographically isolated areas of France. So, it would be the equivalent in my opinion to leaving Ocs Hall and raiding out to Car Banseth and then turning around and coming back on a circuitous route. And even that might actually be a greater distance than the Black Prince travelled by comparison. 2. Army capabilities. Derthert can bypass a castle/city and conquer a major strategically important city whereas the Black Prince was conducting chevauches and conquering poor village women. The Black Prince didn't march past Angers and sack Paris. Derthert, in this game, can march past Car Banseth and sack Varcheg if he wants. (by comparison.. bypass all of France and conquer a city in Italy).

So, I don't disagree with the fact that there were armies marching around Europe unencumbered by the presence of castles. However, those armies were capable of achieving only limited and specific objectives. The armies in Bannerlord are marching past castles and conquering cities whose real life counterparts would be called Paris, Vienna, Milan, Marseilles, Heidelberg, Munich, Bruges, Antwerp, etc. The Black Prince's conquests, if translated into the game, would be Glenlithrig, Gainseth, Durn, Ab Comer, etc. So comparing what the Black Prince did in real life doesn't really match up to what these make believe armies in the game can do. The Black Prince assembled a small and maneuverable Army precisely because he was bypassing major strategic points and needed the maneuverability to get in and get out without getting hemmed up. So the fact that there were castles along his route of march absolutely 100% affected how he built his army and to what purpose he built it. So, he accounted for the fact there were garrisons and castles in his way. That doesn't exist in this game. Every Army assembled can build siege engines and lay siege. Rather, we as players and AI are constrained to building ONLY a siege capable force. Obviously we can make it faster by lightening our burden and using more cavalry. But even then, it's still a siege capable army unlike that of the Black Prince or other Chevauchee Armies. So, we basically get the Black Prince's Chevauchee capable Army, but with the added and unrealistic bonus that we can also assault city walls. Armies in general are OP in this game. Either that or the cities and castles are UP.

Perhaps you're right about the cohesion penalty causing snowballing. I don't know. I think it will work. It will require some other features and control measures along with it. So in a vacuum with no other tweaks, yeah I can see your point on the cohesion. I'm just spitballing ideas. I just know the bottom line is I'd prefer there be some rhyme or reason as to why I need to conquer a given city at a given time. Right now that's not in the game. I still thoroughly enjoy playing the game as it is. If they can improve it, excellent. If not, I'll keep at it until the next shiny object manifests itself.

The influence free feature problem is a really good point. That would have to be adjusted somehow to make it work. Perhaps get rid of it???? Simply require the all clans use influence even to call their own people to an army. Or maybe require the use of influence, but just less costly than calling in non clan members. I don't know, but I would imagine if you went to medieval Scotland you'd see clan leaders couldn't always get their own clan on the same page without using some point of leverage or influence to make it happen. Sometimes they clan; sometimes they clan't.

Perhaps you're right about the cohesion penalty causing snowballing. I don't know. I think it will work. It will require some other features and control measures along with it. So in a vacuum with no other tweaks, yeah I can see your point on the cohesion. I'm just spitballing ideas. I just know the bottom line is I'd prefer there be some rhyme or reason as to why I need to conquer a given city at a given time. Right now that's not in the game. I still thoroughly enjoy playing the game as it is. If they can improve it, excellent. If not, I'll keep at it until the next shiny object manifests itself.

To be clear, I'm not saying the cohesion penalty for switching an army target will cause snowballing. By definition, the actual cause is game design that is overly deterministic enough that small -- even insignificant -- advantages serve to secure much larger later advantages that are insurmountable.

I am saying it will make the problem worse: a smaller faction with only one army needs that army to be flexible on the defense, because besieging armies in Bannerlord usually only fail to deliver the objective when they starve or when an outside army intervenes. The first happens somewhat often (daily ticks are still counted while armies storm the castle, so they frequently miscalculate their food needs, resulting in starvation/breaking off right as they would have won) but it can't be counted upon. The second is the preferable method because it leverages the huge defensive bonus of walled settlements in autocalc to grind down fearsome doomstacks and represent a massive setback every time one of them is lost.

But if defensive armies (the AI uncommonly picks a defensive target when first forming an army) are saddled with morale and cohesion penalties, they'll fail to relieve the siege more often than they already do. That puts the ball closer to the goal line for attackers, which in turn favors having more armies (more simultaneous sieges), which in turn favors the larger, stronger realm.

(Just as an added kick in the nuts, bigger realms tend to have substantially deeper reserves of influence, along with higher daily generation of the same, so they can endure cohesion losses better.)

The influence free feature problem is a really good point. That would have to be adjusted somehow to make it work. Perhaps get rid of it???? Simply require the all clans use influence even to call their own people to an army. Or maybe require the use of influence, but just less costly than calling in non clan members. I don't know, but I would imagine if you went to medieval Scotland you'd see clan leaders couldn't always get their own clan on the same page without using some point of leverage or influence to make it happen. Sometimes they clan; sometimes they clan't.

Boy, players will not like that...

Regarding your comparison to the The Black Prince's Chevauches... it's tough for me to see that comparison.

It wasn't a comparison, it was an example of an army without lines of supply. You touted it as realistic that armies take march attrition from bypassing castles due to having their lines of supply harassed in an era where armies by and large acted as a swarm of locusts.

(Just as an added kick in the nuts, bigger realms tend to have substantially deeper reserves of influence, along with higher daily generation of the same, so they can endure cohesion losses better.)

The influence system is at the moment broken. Simple like that. If you are the founder of your own Kingdom and you stay small, a few years and you have a pool of 5000 influence, and I ask, influence over who if no one belongs to my Kingdom? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Influence should be in relation to every character, just like with Relation. Obviously the whole Influence mechanics would need some rework. Obviously one shouldn't spend Influence to vote, instead it should gain influence over others by voting the same way they do, amongst other changes.

I think we should have a War Council. A meeting of the Clan leaders to propose war targets, designate defensive priorities, a vote on the options and an AI which follows those agreed targets.
I have watched the AI switch targets to defend a castle 2 days away when there were only 37 defenders left in the castle it was currently seiging. Completely bonkers. It surely can't be that hard to design a system which can evaluate its current circumstances.
Army formation is often completely wasteful.....form up the other side of enemy territory then choose to go all the way back across to seige a castle which was originally very close-by. Or form up deep in homeland territory and take 3 days just to reach enemy lines.

I think we should have a War Council. A meeting of the Clan leaders to propose war targets, designate defensive priorities, a vote on the options and an AI which follows those agreed targets.
I have watched the AI switch targets to defend a castle 2 days away when there were only 37 defenders left in the castle it was currently seiging. Completely bonkers. It surely can't be that hard to design a system which can evaluate its current circumstances.
Army formation is often completely wasteful.....form up the other side of enemy territory then choose to go all the way back across to seige a castle which was originally very close-by. Or form up deep in homeland territory and take 3 days just to reach enemy lines.
Hence my original post. I was deep in Aserai lands and saw an Army decide to go defend a castle somewhere in noerthern empire (forgot which one). But it was kind of a big WTF moment in the game for me. Something has to be fixed. It’s like marching to Cairo, getting about 20 miles away, and then saying ‘you know what? On second thought let’s turn back and go besiege Berlin.’

I can do you one better, I just had an army quit a siege it was about to assault...

To go have a tournament.

Back
Top Bottom