M&B: Warband Crash at Intro after Windows 10 Update

Users who are viewing this thread

Dankdude

Recruit
Hey guys recently I updated Windows 10 to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition to play some games that didn't work before. After doing this I noticed that Warband wasn't working, after starting the launcher and hitting play, right after the Taleworlds logo the game suddenly crashes with no error message. I have tried a bunch of stuff that didn't work:

1. Uninstalling game 
2. Verifying Cache
3. Restarting PC & Steam
4. Deleting the config files under Documents
5. Turning on and off "Load Textures on Demand"
6. Using Directx7 & 9
7. Turning on and off "Force Single Threading"
8. Deleting bink files in game folder

I realize that reverting to the previous version would probably fix it but then it disables other games.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

You could try deleting the Warband folder from your Roaming folder (Start> type "%appdata%").

Re-installing your drivers won't do any harm either.

Disabling (or enabling, I can't remember which. Just try the opposite of what it currently is for you) flag optimisation may also work. It's in MountBlade Warband/Modules/Native/modeule.ini. Search for 'disable_moveable_flag_optimization =' and set it to either 1 or 0. If this fixes it, remember that you might have to do this in other Module folders if the crashes occur on another mod.

Playing on the non-steam version of Warband has stopped crashing for a friend of mine. Download it here. It's a trial version, but it should ask you to activate it with a CD key, which you can get from your Steam by right-clicking the game in your Library and selecting "View CD Key". Don't worry, you can still play both of these full versions.

I haven't researched into whether or not this will fix your specific problem with Windows 10, but in the past these have been common fixes for a lot of Warband crashes. Hope one of these helps you out.

The same thing is happening to me im trying to explore the possibility of downgrading from the update or is that doesnt work trying the insider program to see if that works

This was happening to me too. I tried everything AnchorTheMean suggested, but the only thing that would work was starting it in windowed mode. You can't change it back ingame, so I had to download another program that runs windowed games borderless to get it full screen again, but even that didn't fully work. It started with Windows10 Anniversary Ed. like OP and this is my only fix so far. What has Microsoft done with this update?

You should be able to switch between Fullscreen Windowed Mode by pressing Left ALT + ENTER once you get past the intro movie. This is also very useful the avoid crashing when alt-tabbing. If you go in Windowed Mode before alt-tabbing you should probably never crash.

AnchorTheMean said:
You should be able to switch between Fullscreen Windowed Mode by pressing Left ALT + ENTER once you get past the intro movie. This is also very useful the avoid crashing when alt-tabbing. If you go in Windowed Mode before alt-tabbing you should probably never crash.
When I use alt+enter to go fullscreen it says 'Could not reset the Direct3D device. The application will now exit' and off it goes. Hopefully that narrows down the issue at least.

Edit: ended up downgrading my OS just for this lol. Mount & Blade > Stupid Windows update anyways

Back
Top Bottom