SP Musket Era M&B: Native within Reality*UPDATED*1/13/09

Users who are viewing this thread

well, I am not saying they had total control , but at one point you could say their ruled england.
but after that it went downhill rather quick.

No, nobody can say they ever ruled England no did they have control of it. Only one kingdom has every ruled all of England at one point in time and that is the current Kingdom of England. Not the Celtic tribes, not the Romans, not the Saxons, not the Danes, not the Norwegians, not the French, not the Spanish but the Kingdom established by William the Conqueror.

omzdog said:
No, nobody can say they ever ruled England no did they have control of it. Only one kingdom has every ruled all of England at one point in time and that is the current Kingdom of England. Not the Celtic tribes, not the Romans, not the Saxons, not the Danes, not the Norwegians, not the French, not the Spanish but the Kingdom established by William the Conqueror.

for my own defence , I mean only the island , not ireland and all
and what if there where villages who didnt listen to them ( or whole lords and armies ) still They where the most powerful in england for a while.

No... I'm telling you. The Danes never had any legitimate power in England, not for a single year. If your going to make an arguement state a specific battle which occured with the result of a single dutch lord gaining English territory. You can't, because it never happened. The Danes have nothing to do with England excluding the Saxon's and Vikings who raided and settled parts of England during the Dark Ages, but this is not a part of the Kingdom of Denmark.

And just having looked it up a little, because I didn't want to state my simple knowledge. The danes were indeed a power house in england, many get them mixed by calling them simple vikings. But the whole eastern side of england was rule by Dane Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelaw

Danelaw does not describe Danish holdings in England. It is a concept for the collection of Viking warriors who took land in Enlgand and does not state Danish control of areas in England. Other than a few warriors participating in the Viking land grab of England in the Dark Ages., the Danes really have nothing to do with England. My point stands.

The vikings were Scandinavians. Later on, the term, Viking, became synonymous with "naval expedition" or "naval raid", and a víking was a member of such expeditions.

Being that Denmark would be part of Scandinavia it just goes to show that all those "Vikings" that controled most of England on and off again with the English, consisted of the kingdoms of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.

You said it. And that is very different from Danish control of (I quote) all of England. Largely, the true Danes of the Middle Ages had little impact on England.

I think you need to re-read history my friend, it does specify that the Danes were the majority of the invaders. Check out the link in my previous post and perhaps if you read a little further down then the opening statement, you see that:

From about AD 800 waves of Danish assaults on the coastlines of the British Isles were gradually followed by a succession of Danish settlers. Danish raiders first began to settle in England starting in 865, when brothers Halfdan Ragnarsson and Ivar the Boneless wintered in East Anglia. They soon moved north and in 867 captured Northumbria and its capital, York, defeating both the recently deposed King Osberht of Northumbria, as well as the usurper Ælla of Northumbria. The Danes then placed an Englishman, Ecgberht I of Northumbria, on the throne of Northumbria as a puppet.

Under Ivar the Boneless, the Danes continued their invasion in 869 by defeating King Edmund of East Anglia at Hoxne and conquering East Anglia.

Try not to be so focused on what you want to see and look at the facts.

Edit:

Yes it may not have been the entire british isle that they controled, so the previous person may have been off a little, but the only part of "England" the didn't ever fully control was Wessex, though wessex had to pay tribute more than once to keep the Danes from over running them.

HockerTJ said:
And just having looked it up a little, because I didn't want to state my simple knowledge. The danes were indeed a power house in england, many get them mixed by calling them simple vikings. But the whole eastern side of england was rule by Dane Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelaw

thanks to u
finally some one who knows im not telling stupid stories

Back
Top Bottom