Resolved low fps due to horses

Users who are viewing this thread

Caesar123

Recruit
Summary: Thank You for the constant updates. Unfortunately, I can't fully enjoy the game due to the low FPS. Especially drawdowns occur in battles of 600 + people(30-40). Pay attention to the optimization of horses. I also think we need to pay attention to CPU usage, I think its cores are not running at full capacity. By the way, all my equipment is working properly. If possible, it is better to increase the importance of the video card in the game. Thanks
version: 1.0.8
Computer Specifications :
GPU: RTX 2070SUPER
Processor:AMD Ryzen 3600
RAM: 16 GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 tomahawk
Data storage device (HDD / SSD): 256gb(System)/1000gb(hdd)

Can confirm with my potato PC.
The game runs fine on my custom settings until certain mounted troops enter the frame. It doesn't affect all mounted troops, hadn't had any issue with Imperial Elite Cataphracts, I can't come up with definitive list of troops yet, but it definitely includes Imperial Bucellarii: whenever more than 10 of them enter the screen, game starts to stutter, and the more you have the worse situation is. It doesn't happen even if I look at massive 500 troops army, but with a bunch of Bucellarii it does. It also doesn't happen with them during sieges, so I think we indeed might have an issue with horses or horse equipment. Oddly enough, I don't have 100% reproduction of the problem. I would say, it happens 99% of the time, but there were two times when I didn't had any issues even looking at 250 Bucellarii in my frame. Weird.
Lower particle detail and quality bkth to low and try
There is no single setting which affect the issue in my case. Even the lowest settings which turns bannerlord into sudo "warband" don't help.

Potato specs:
WIN10
GT 750M 2GB VRAM
16GB RAM
i7-4960HQ
SSD

P.S.: 1.0.7

Last edited:
Can confirm with my potato PC.
The game runs fine on my custom settings until certain mounted troops enter my frame. It doesn't affect all mounted troops, hadn't had any issue with Imperial Elite Cataphracts, I can't come up with definitive list of troops yet, but it definitely includes Imperial Bucellarii: whenever more than 10 of them enter the screen, game starts to stutter, and the more you have the worse situation is. It doesn't happen even if I look at massive 500 troops army, but with a bunch of Bucellarii it does. It also doesn't happen with them during sieges, so I indeed might haves something to do with horses or horse equipment. Oddly enough, I don't have 100% reproduction of the problem. I would say, it happens 99% of the time, but there were two times when I didn't had any issues even looking at 250 Bucellarii in my frame. Weird.

There is no single setting which affect the issue in my case. Even the lowest settings which turns bannerlord into sudo "warband" don't help.

Potato specs:
WIN10
GT 750M
16GB RAM
i7-4960HQ
SSD
Well that’s because the PC is probably struggling, run in full screen with half v sync and see if there is any sort of change even if it’s minor
But yes game will continue to be optimised

Well that’s because the PC is probably struggling, run in full screen with half v sync and see if there is any sort of change even if it’s minor
But yes game will continue to be optimised
Already did. As I already said, it doesn't matter what my settings are. I doubt you are right.
It handles 500 cataphracts well with medium textures, cloth simulation, medium character quality,
It doesn't tolerate any Bucellarii at all at the lowest settings possible and 128 sound channels.

Already did. As I already said, it doesn't matter what my settings are.
It handles 500 cataphracts well with medium textures, cloth simulation, medium character quality,
It doesn't tolerate any Bucellarii at all at the lowest settings possible.
Very strange
Create support ticket or bug thread :smile:

Very strange
Create support ticket or bug thread :smile:
I was going to, but saw this thread and it seems related to my case enough to not do that. I guess the last thing you want during a beta test is dozens of tickets which duplicate themselves. We'll see how it go, I am fine to avoid that unit for a while ^^

I was going to, but saw this thread and it seems related to my case enough to not do that. I guess the last thing you want during a beta test is dozens of tickets which duplicate themselves. We'll see how it go, I am fine to avoid that unit for a while ^^
I would have said that ALL HORSE ARCHERS in the game will decrease the performance

I would have said that ALL HORSE ARCHERS in the game will decrease the performance
You just said "horses", but I'll look into that.

Quick heads up, btw
Either 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 changed something, Bucellarii don't stutter FOR ME anymore. At least in a quick test. I didn't experience that yet. Can't reproduce the issue with other troops as well. Gonna test that more, but it's not impossible that my issue was already solved.

So if you still encounter problems with cavalry, it may well be completely different thing.
Do you still have the problem in 1.0.9?

You just said "horses", but I'll look into that.

Quick heads up, btw
Either 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 changed something, Bucellarii don't stutter FOR ME anymore. At least in a quick test. I didn't experience that yet. Can't reproduce the issue with other troops as well. Gonna test that more, but it's not impossible that my issue was already solved.

So if you still encounter problems with cavalry, it may well be completely different thing.
Do you still have the problem in 1.0.9?
It's definitely a lot better, but I think we need to work on it a little bit more. If you take only one cavalry (300-300+), then still fps in the area of 30-35 in the epicenter of the battle. So it's best to remind everyone that this is a problem that is pretty underrated, and it won't be any worse for anyone if the fps gets a little higher. But Yes I'm glad things are much better

Another observation here. It seems that cloth simulation might be the reason.
It worked randomly before as it wasn't turning off and on properly. Now it does and I started to get consistent results.
So I tinkered with all of the settings and narrowed it down to cloth simulation. When I turn it on, I do get that stutter if there are certain mounted troops in the frame regardless of other settings. It doesn't affect performance noticeably with infantry or some other mounted troops, but when certain mounted troops are rendered, FPS goes to like.. 3 per second? :grin:
Affected units are: Imperial Bucellarii, Aserai Faris, Sturgian Hardend Brigands, these what i detected so far in custom battles. I am currently testing other mounted units with hax in campaign to find out more.
What's interesting is the feature works fine with khuzait mounted troops: they even have distinctive helmets with plumes, and their plumes do have beautiful cloth effects, but they don't cause stutter for me. So I guess stuttering units might be bugged in some way.

It's definitely a lot better, but I think we need to work on it a little bit more. If you take only one cavalry (300-300+), then still fps in the area of 30-35 in the epicenter of the battle. So it's best to remind everyone that this is a problem that is pretty underrated, and it won't be any worse for anyone if the fps gets a little higher. But Yes I'm glad things are much better

Caesar, can you, please, compare your stutter performance with and without cloth simulation in a full Aserai vs Empire 250vs250 mounted archers custom battle and share the result to confirm or deny my theory?

Last edited:
It worked randomly before as it wasn't turning off and on properly. Now it does and I started to get consistent results.
So I tinkered with all of the settings and narrowed it down to cloth simulation. When I turn it on, I do get that stutter if there are certain mounted troops in the frame regardless of other settings. It doesn't affect performance noticeably with infantry or some other mounted troops, but when certain mounted troops are rendered, FPS goes to like.. 3 per second? :grin:
Affected units are: Imperial Bucellarii, Aserai Faris, Sturgian Hardend Brigands, these what i detected so far in custom battles. I am currently testing other mounted units with hax in campaign to find out more.
What's interesting is the feature works fine with khuzait mounted troops: they even have distinctive helmets with plumes, and their the plumes do have beautiful cloth effects, but they don't cause stutter for me. So I guess stuttering units might be bugged in some way.

Caesar, can you, please, compare your stutter performance with and without cloth simulation in a full Aserai vs Empire 250vs250 mounted archers custom battle and share the result to confirm or deny my theory?
Your theory is absolutely correct. 250-250 I have below 60 frames not falls, on 350-350;400-400 40-50 frames, even in 500-500 became about 30, that already relatively smoothly compared with what was before. But I again saw the difference in that if you play even 400-400, where horse archers are at least 25%, then the game works much worse than if they were not. ( with them, I have about 20-25 frames for 400-500) I am absolutely sure that here you need to achieve a patch that would somehow optimize the processor. I have waited too long for this game to not pay attention to the fact that the game requires optimization for comfort)

What's interesting is the feature works fine with khuzait mounted troops: they even have distinctive helmets with plumes, and their the plumes do have beautiful cloth effects, but they don't cause stutter for me. So I guess stuttering units might be bugged in some way.

Hi, there, thank you for your investigation, it allowed us to find the problem. The affected units types has a different mane mesh, and because of a hidden bug even if the horse 400meter away its cloth simulation still worked, normally it should only work at lod0 which is about 15-30meter at very high setting. Right now it causes very big performance drops. We will try to fix it in todays patch.

Hi, there, thank you for your investigation, it allowed us to find the problem. The affected units types has a different mane mesh, and because of a hidden bug even if the horse 400meter away its cloth simulation still worked, normally it should only work at lod0 which is about 15-30meter at very high setting. Right now it causes very big performance drops. We will try to fix it in todays patch.
Thank you for your cooperation, if i see a new hidden problem I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom