Looking for a game?

Users who are viewing this thread

TheFlyingFishy said:
Can anyone recommend any RPG-esque games, insofar that they at least have party members that are well-written and believable? I'm thinking along the lines of Bioware games, but the catch is that I'd like to be able to venture forth with more than 2-3 members of my party present, preferably all of them, and with that being a sizable amount. I hate replaying games just to see what each person says about the view on top of Mt. Outoftheway, and more so, missing any actually interesting things they bring to the table in different areas. I may be wrong, as I've never played any of the older RPG "legends," but I think some of the early Bioware games had stuff like that, right?

The Drakensang series was pretty good.

I'm thinking of an indie RTS set in ancient times (ancient Greece and so forth) that was in alpha when last I heard ( a while ago), but apparently had been in alpha for like years as the devs tried to get funding or somesuch. You could download the alpha version for free, though, if you wanted to try it out. (I played it for like 2 hours IIRC.) It was very similar to Age of Empires/Age of Mythology to play. The only other thing I recall that might help was that unlike AoE/AoM, the ships actually looked to scale compared to the land units, which was (IMO) quite neat to see. I seem to recall the name being something dull and unimaginative, but I may be wrong. Can anyone tell me what it was called? I can't remember.

ninja666 said:
Can anyone suggest a PC game that's like Resident Evil 4 in terms of over-the-top silly atmosphere, cool level design, and action-packed shootouts, but has normal, non-tank-like controls?

Resident Evil 5. 

Oh, wait, you said non-tank-like controls.  :razz:

I wouldn't say 4 was particularly action packed. Unless you count the snail pace of the combat as action packed.

Well, it's okay, they have many things right and you can almost start enjoying them before whole thing starts to stutter uncontrollably due to amount of everything. At least that's been my experience with all versions so far.

There was this tower defence-ish game I played a demo of. Basically you started in a large map and had to expand your 'web' of energy to mine further and further in them map, so you could make more and more towers to defend against oncoming alien hordes from all around you. The web of energy was like with little balls of light hopping from one node to another. You basically had to try to have enough energy to power your towers, make an efficient web of nodes, whilst expanding as the resources become ever more depleted.
---
Well I literally just typed in all the keywords of the above question and found it. So old!

Vieira said:
I wouldn't say 4 was particularly action packed. Unless you count the snail pace of the combat as action packed.

Well, those two don't really condtradict each other. True, RE4 had a slow pacing, but the amounts of enemies you had to fight off at once were enormous.

Stabbing Hobo said:
Painkiller. Get the Black/Gold edition if anything.

Already played it years ago, but never really got to beat it. Good pick. I'll go with that one.

Any game where you are a 3rd world nation tasked with resisting imperialism.

Not looking for FPS, rather a game where you use your resources to keep the foreigners out. 

TheFlyingFishy said:
Tropico, especially 5.

Also any Pdox or other grand strategy game that lets you choose to be an underdog.

I have 4 I remember only being able to fight rebels.

There was a token measure of "don't piss off the super powers or you lose" but nothing intricate.

Does 5 offer a in depth anti colonial mechanic?

Oh, yea, certainly. You start the game as a colony then break away. From that you're juggling the Nazis, the Allies, the US, and the Soviet Union at various points. They can all invade you if they take the whim, and it isn't an instant "game over" screen like in previous games. Invasions mean they land troops and tanks on your beach and try and raze your palace. My poor peasant militia never stood a chance when Hitler decided he wanted some fresh bananas.

Back
Top Bottom