Looking for a game?

Users who are viewing this thread

This kind of thread keeps dying, I hope this one stays alive.

So this thread is for those times where you remember this old game you used to play, but can't remember its name, exactly or when you've recently got into a certain game and want more like it.

I'm currently experiencing the latter. I'm looking for tactical/strategic RPGs along the same vein as Fire Emblem, Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics for the PC, GBA, NDS, PSX or X360. I'm especially interested in games like FFT and Disgaea with nice job systems.

Can anyone recommend? Cheers.

More strategy than RPG, admittedly, but a very fun game none the less, I've been playing Shadow Magic recently.

I wonder why that *****, Julia, is dominating the store page.

Tuckles said:
I'm currently experiencing the latter. I'm looking for tactical/strategic RPGs along the same vein as Fire Emblem, Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics for the PC, GBA, NDS, PSX or X360. I'm especially interested in games like FFT and Disgaea with nice job systems.

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together. Originally for the SNES later ported to PSX, it's made by the same people who later went on to Squaresoft to make FFT. Has a job system, multiple endings depending on the choices you make along the way and it's much harder than FFT (you actually need to use tactics, gasp!). It's one of my all time favourites. Was recently remade for PSP although they changed the jobs and overall stats&levels system for that one, apparently it's quite different from the original.
If you like it there's also Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis for the GBA.
Vandal Hearts for the PSX is alright, although is much more simple and straightforward than FFT or TO, not much room for customization.
For PC there's Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes. Haven't tried it myself but seems alright.

I didn't really like FFT that much, it was kinda weird if you tried stuff like like lots of Yelling to boost your speed nonstop. There was also level scaling.

Tactic ogre was pretty fun, I played it a good bit but didn't complete it. One thing I really liked was how you formed your troops into two teams to have a practice battle.

@D'Sparil.

You have to use tactics in FFT. Don't you? :cry:

Anyway, I guess I'll try the Tactics Ogre series then.

I'll try some of Arch's suggestions as well, if I can find any for cheaps. :3

Addendum: Also, that game Aust recommended looks good as well.

Mecho Wars and Guardians of Graxia are both budget titles. Guardians is probably closest to Disgea in terms of combat, though there's no real roleplaying involved in either (Guardians units level up after winning combat, but there's no persistent characters. At least yet).

Guardians is based on a CCG, so rather than classes you have themed decks. Worth trying if you get the chance.

RPG based you've only really got King's Bounty, Avernum, Age of Wonders and Grotesque Tactics. King's Bounty you have a single character; Age of Wonders you can have multiple heroes of several classes (4 - 6 depending on race) but again it's more of a strategy than an RPG. Grotesque Tactics is a parody of the whole JRPG thing, so it might be your best bet if you can tolerate the bad puns.

Luminous Arc, though I haven't actually played it it's supposed to be decent.

There's a lot of stuff similar to Fire emblem, but you seem to be after more FFT ish stuff. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil survivor isn't bad for that- 3-4 teams that you move around like FFT. Each has one human and two demons you buy/fuse. When you attack, you switch over to a round (possibly two) of old Snes era RPG turn based battle. Story's a bit iffy and I can't say much for the character design, but the game itself is solid.

Eugh, last SMT game I had was no fun. It was a DS game, forget the name. Left that **** at home. >:U

@Arch looking at Elven Legacy right now, but I think Grotesque Tactics is up my alley. I survived Disgaea. :razz:

I guess I'll wait for KB to go on sale yet again.

Start with Fantasy Wars? It comes before Elven legacy. The orc campaign is annoying me because the orcs have some cheap cost units-and you have a troop limit on missions. Not easy to get the rewards for finishing the mission quick with orcs.

Also, er, Langrisser? Sengoku Rance?

I've played some Fantasy Wars and I think Elven Legacy is more of the same. It's very similar to Fantasy General with its hex grid, wounded-dead system. Sometimes your attack causes them to fall back or rout, say from a city they are holding so you can move in to capture it. If you don't finish off a unit with many wounded they can rest and heal up. It's really very similar to fantasy general with more level-ups and skills and units. You'll need to do some thinking with the game which is good.

FFtactics is largely about reaching jobs and abilities with very light strategy. I mean the game is pretty forgiving with easy healing and resurrection.

1298918649425.jpg

Sorry, should have added: does anyone know what game this is?

dustbiter said:
Start with Fantasy Wars? It comes before Elven legacy. The orc campaign is annoying me because the orcs have some cheap cost units-and you have a troop limit on missions. Not easy to get the rewards for finishing the mission quick with orcs.

Der Langrisser is awesome, on par with Tactics Ogre for me.

dustbiter said:

Wikipedia tells me that the last one is naughty :O

Back
Top Bottom