Let's Go to Space

Users who are viewing this thread

Let's discuss space.

I'm very involved in my university's undergraduate space organization, and I've had the pleasure of attending the most recent Space Symposium (annual huge space conference in Colorado) and have had conversations with a lot of space startups in the Bay Area. It's a super exciting field to be in.

On one hand, the pace of innovation is skyrocketing. SpaceX and their reusable first stages are the most obvious example. Companies like Planet Labs have taken a completely different approach to the traditional build-an-expensive-thing-then-wait-and-pray business model and instead launch a "flock" of small satellites. This keeps their costs down, risk down, and they are able to work 24/7 instead of waiting until the next space launch. It feels as though the aerospace industry actually has its mojo back and people are convinced we could do some really cool things in space and are willing to try it.

On the other hand, the demand still isn't there because there is currently almost no reason to go to space. Planet Labs has a huge number of satellites in the air taking pictures of the ground, but they are still struggling because nobody wants to buy them. It is a catch-22 problem because there will be no reason to go to space until people actually go to space and establish the infrastructure required for people to want to go to space.

We've been hearing about space tourism for several years, but it hasn't really... taken off.
But maybe it'll happen this decade.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12361256/moon-express-private-mission-spaceflight-us-government-approved
Spaceflight venture Moon Express wants to be the first private company ever to land on the Moon in 2017
— and now the company has been granted approval by the United States government to launch to the lunar surface

Or what about space 'hotels'.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/13/bigelow-aerospace-partners-with-ula-to-launch-private-space-habitats/

I've always kind of felt space exploration should be something we pay for/invest in now, even we won't enjoy the benefits any time soon. It seems so terribly short sighted to ignore the potential of space (and that we might need to be able to expand beyond Earth or our own solar system at some point).

Although I guess it's a bit of a long shot to hope humanity will learn to plan for the long term given how global climate change is viewed.  :iamamoron:

Sure, I could make millions over the course of the next decade... but what if I could make a thousand bucks today?

Let's go.

I want to walk on the Moon before I die. Well, I really want to go hang gliding on Ganymede since thanks to the low gravity and the high winds produced by the volatile "atmosphere", one could glide for hours and hours. Well, until you ran out of oxygen tanks.

Úlfheðinn said:
I've always kind of felt space exploration should be something we pay for/invest in now, even we won't enjoy the benefits any time soon. It seems so terribly short sighted to ignore the potential of space (and that we might need to be able to expand beyond Earth or our own solar system at some point).

Although I guess it's a bit of a long shot to hope humanity will learn to plan for the long term given how global climate change is viewed.  :iamamoron:

Well, apparently in 2175 a "planet buster" meteor will hit Earth so we better hurry the **** up.

Jesus christ, looking at the old macho culture and general jury rigging of the American oil fields make me dread them ever going into space.

"Yeah well I had to plug a leak and y'know it's too much hassle to put on my EVA suit so what I did is I got two cans of beer, strapped them together, pumped that **** full of PURE O2 and then I just like went out, fixed the leak, not before waiting for a couple of seconds to get that sick tan before going back into the ship."

Mars is the only planet worth visiting, the rest are trash and should be thrown into a black hole asap imo tbh.

Until there is some alternative to our weird fossil fuel rockets I can't see space exploration going anywhere. And innovations like antimatter and cold fusion are most likely to happen on earth for ground travel and power production long before they're taken into space. Because of this I'm not that bothered when countries drop or cancel their space funding.

Back
Top Bottom