[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to turn off garrison auto-upgrade feature? I don't want my cannon-fodder recruits to lvl up...

I found some info here, but the topic is dated and maybe game's code in 3.7 has changed:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=160490.0

What files do I need to tweak?

Leonion said:
Anyway, here is a small tweak to disable the training effect of training grounds for good:
1) Open simple_triggers.txt
2) Find a line of code "521 3 1224979098644774925 1224979098644774920 274 2112 3 1224979098644774925 0 2".
3) Replace 2 with 0.
Your garrisons should be safe now.

Uhtred of Bebbanburg said:
Get yourself about 200 quality troops and then recruit about 600 peasants. Train them to militia, which should still only cost 1 Denar a week and make sure they are at the bottom of the queue.

If you are attacked then the 200 quality troops will spawn first and the 600 militia will boost your tactical advantage.

Also, the computer doesn't know the difference between 600 elite troops and 600 militia when deciding which walled fief to attack.

I usually start with Laria and the quick take Whitestag because both of those are easy to defend and Whitestag is a slaughter. My companions can hold Whitestag by themselves against thousands. It's also a great way to boost their experience.

Finally, I put most of my troops in Laria and then maybe 50 in Whitestag. This guarantees that when the armies come they will attack Whitestag and die in droves.

Thanks!
And how u guys get money on that part of game (~300day)? I get a little money with prisoners, its very low loot and monety from battles now. I had 300k before i joined fiersvain as vassal, now im down to 70k. And i cant rly work money now, its like from fight to fight, get recruits, get guys from tavers, upgrade them, go fight ... and its over and over again.

Prisoners are the main source of income in this game, they'll get you rich.

Every time you see a friendly NPC that has troops, ask him to come to your castle/town; he'll leave the prisoners there for you to sell.

I got the victory message after conquering everything and clearing out all enemies. What did it mean when it said an alternate probability had been created?

Masterbagger said:
I got the victory message after conquering everything and clearing out all enemies. What did it mean when it said an alternate probability had been created?

My guess is that it means Azi Dahaka might not consume the world.
You fulfilled the prophecy to unite Pendor, so now there is a chance at victory.

So I'm in the process of changing my CK2 from heavy cavalry to foot archers in order to take advantage of PD 10 with a noldor composite bow.  I'm wondering what melee weapon would be most ideal for them.  They are currently equipped with an ornate kite shield and an ebony knight sword.  Should I leave them as is, or would it make sense to give them a halaberd or a two handed sword?  I'm not really planning on using them for siege work much due to the nature of prestige, even though I currently have 7.5k.

Auditor said:
So I'm in the process of changing my CK2 from heavy cavalry to foot archers

But why would you do that? Heavy cavalry led by a leader with high martial will absolutely destroy enemies, especially in the Eastern parts of Europe early-game where most armies consist pretty much exclusively light infantry and archers.

Type-provoked joke aside, you might just want to keep them with what they have. Shields are very nice in field battles and will allow you to advance to the enemy lines relatively unmolested.

im equipping my custom knights for fighting on foot and i dont know what one handed side arm to equip them to complement their pole weapon.
what i should value more?speed,reach or damage?

barbacot said:
im equipping my custom knights for fighting on foot and i dont know what one handed side arm to equip them to complement their pole weapon.
what i should value more?speed,reach or damage?

For infantry I always choose speed because if they hit enemy first they can quickly hit them couple more times.Noldor longsword is best option I think.

Auditor said:
So I'm in the process of changing my CK2 from heavy cavalry to foot archers in order to take advantage of PD 10 with a noldor composite bow. (...) Should I leave them as is, or would it make sense to give them a halaberd or a two handed sword?

Ebony sword/shield/noldor bow/melitine arrows

There, now they are both kickass archers and heavy knights.

Bargian said:
Uhtred of Bebbanburg said:
Get yourself about 200 quality troops and then recruit about 600 peasants. Train them to militia, which should still only cost 1 Denar a week and make sure they are at the bottom of the queue.

If you are attacked then the 200 quality troops will spawn first and the 600 militia will boost your tactical advantage.

Also, the computer doesn't know the difference between 600 elite troops and 600 militia when deciding which walled fief to attack.

I usually start with Laria and the quick take Whitestag because both of those are easy to defend and Whitestag is a slaughter. My companions can hold Whitestag by themselves against thousands. It's also a great way to boost their experience.

Finally, I put most of my troops in Laria and then maybe 50 in Whitestag. This guarantees that when the armies come they will attack Whitestag and die in droves.

Thanks!
And how u guys get money on that part of game (~300day)? I get a little money with prisoners, its very low loot and monety from battles now. I had 300k before i joined fiersvain as vassal, now im down to 70k. And i cant rly work money now, its like from fight to fight, get recruits, get guys from tavers, upgrade them, go fight ... and its over and over again.

My companions and myself use blunt weapons almost exclusively. Together we can make an easy 20 to 50k depending on the size of the battle and how many stages it has.

Now that my CKO is online and I have access to Knights with Doom Mace and Sergeants with Warhammers I can bring in 160,000 denars for a big battle.

Money is never a problem for me.

Other things are that I have 12 to Leadership.

I take all my captured troops, especially mounted troops, and put them into militia patrols. That boost their effectiveness and gets them off my payroll.

I avoid some of the more exotic and expensive units. For instance the Doomguide is very expensive compared to other cavalry. They are not hard to get, but expensive to keep around.

I also have 11 to looting.

My character build uses Qualis gems to boost STR, AG, and CHA, and I put all my points into intelligence. I also use TweakMB to raise the skill limits to 15.

That said, you can also boost surgery as that will reduce KIA casualties and convert them to wounded. I want a more challenging game so I have 1 point in surgery myself.

More points in trade will get your more money when you sell stuff.

When I took Laria and became a king I held a feast there and every few hours there was a tournament. I could get 3 or 4 a day and each time I win it boosts my relations with the city as well as renown and gives me some cash.  With 100 relations in Laria I can get a lot more money for loot I sell. For instance "Various Loot", which are found in chests and worth between 800 to 900 denars is worth 1150 in Laria. Over time that difference adds up.

Try recruiting prisoners. You'll save a ton of money and potentially get some really good units you can't usually get this way.

When you become a king make sure to give yourself substantial lands. I own Laria and all it's villages as well as Whitestag. Laria gives me around 10k a week with rents and tariffs. The villages double that.

KO have a rivalry quest. If you don't mind making a KO mad or they are already mad you can make 25k in prisoners and about 10k in loot if you attack them with just your companions (depending on how many you have). More loot if you have fewer companions.

If you are a mercenary and have a large force then whenever a caravan comes by you can demand a toll. You can always pay off the faction later to reset your relations.

I think you can do this if you are a lord of a faction but I haven't done it much and I don't know what the political consequences are. However, if you do it as a king then it basically starts a war if you have zero relations to start with. It's possible that the relation penalty is higher as well but I haven't explored this either. I have rules.

But anyway, let's say you have a big fat slow army and you are at war with a faction so you go and rest in a city owned by a neutral faction. Just keep an eye out for approaching caravans and when they get  close enough rush out and demand a toll. My last toll was around 8,000 denars and I had about 400 men in my army. My limit is over 600 though.

Tournaments. I'm about sick of them now. My character is so strong that it's not much of a challenge and I rather fight on foot since that's a little harder. You can raise the betting limit with TweakMB and you'll always be flush. I have it set at 500, but I have had it at a game breaking 5000 before.

Raviollius said:
Prisoners are the main source of income in this game, they'll get you rich.

Every time you see a friendly NPC that has troops, ask him to come to your castle/town; he'll leave the prisoners there for you to sell.

This play through I took Laria and Whitestag and then asked to join Sarleon who were getting beat to hell. Since I have the only city, Ulric is usually in my town and other NPCs come and deposit their troops whenever they need a rest or retreat. Same goes with feasts.

Auditor said:
So I'm in the process of changing my CK2 from heavy cavalry to foot archers in order to take advantage of PD 10 with a noldor composite bow.  I'm wondering what melee weapon would be most ideal for them.  They are currently equipped with an ornate kite shield and an ebony knight sword.  Should I leave them as is, or would it make sense to give them a halaberd or a two handed sword?  I'm not really planning on using them for siege work much due to the nature of prestige, even though I currently have 7.5k.

I give cavalry the Doom Mace and Sergeants the Warhammer.

I've made 2,000,000 denars in the last month from two wars.

The knights are excellent in field battles and the sergeants are excellent in siege battles. Believe it or not that short hammer is the shizzle when they are pressed up close to the enemy at the top of the ladder.

They also have the Hawkstorm bow. So I run them out of arrows and then up that ladder. The sergeants are cheaper than the knights so I can afford more casualties.

I'm filthy rich. Just sayin'.

Raviollius said:
Leonion said:
Anyway, here is a small tweak to disable the training effect of training grounds for good:
2) Find a line of code "521 3 1224979098644774925 1224979098644774920 274 2112 3 1224979098644774925 0 2".
3) Replace 2 with 0.
tyvm  :smile:

On a different note - what Pendor-only and cost-effective garrison would you recommend? I need to prepare for inevitable D'Shar marshall doomstack (they took most of Empire).

1. Is the following idea OK? Would it be enough?:

400 x Pendor Swordsman
    200 x Pendor Heavy Bowman
    900 x Pendor Recruit
    ---------------------------------
  1500 Units

2. Should I go for Armoured Archers? The upkeep cost difference between Heavy and Armoured is significant - I just need them to shoot lots of deadly arrows

3. Should I swap Swordsman for Man-at-Arms? Again, price tag matters for me

4 . Does anyone know about any table with unit upkeep prices? (Wiki has only stats). I remember that Heavy Archers cost 8d and Recruits obvoiusly 1d (all halved in garrison)

Barbarius said:
Raviollius said:

On a different note - what Pendor-only and cost-effective garrison would you recommend? I need to prepare for inevitable D'Shar marshall doomstack (they took most of Empire).

400 x Pendor Swordsman
    900 x Pendor Recruit
  1500 Units

2. Should I go for Armoured Archers? The upkeep cost difference between Heavy and Armoured is significant - I just need them to shoot lots of deadly arrows

4 . Does anyone know about any table with unit upkeep prices? (Wiki has only stats). I remember that Heavy Archers cost 8d and Recruits obvoiusly 1d (all halved in garrison)
Okay so I don't know about everyone else, but I am loathe to have recruits in my garrison. Considering that there are significantly better troops for not much more (trained militia at worst will only be ~3 or 4 denars in a garrison), having recruits just sets you up for a screen of red once your top level troops die. And they will. Eventually. If you are hellbent on having those troops as 1 denar a head, at least upgrade them a few times until their cost outside of a garrison is 2 denars. It might not look like it will make much of a difference, but it could at some point. Trained militia die like flies, but recruits die from proximity to decent units.

A good idea is to have a few (20 min) top level archers. Use the Pendor Grey Archers from the Noble tree if you must use Pendor troops, otherwise aim for Noldor. They will cost a lot more than others, but considering that archers will have much less chance to die (unless you're ****ing with Ravenstern, those guys are brutally good at killing your archers), those 20 archers can kill 5000 men over their collective lifetime if you're lucky. Lower tier archers can be good for sheer numbers, but fewer, high tier archers have always worked better for me. Treat your infantry as a metaphorical cork. They only need to block up the ladder long enough for your archers to chew through everything the enemy has (Troops with good shields are good for this, as they'll last longer before getting cut down).
1) depending on your battlesize slider, and the size of the D'Shar doomstack, no. You need enough troops to be able to have at least 50 or 60 spawn in. If the D'Shar outnumber you 6:1, and you have a 150 battlesize, chances are you won't have enough troops to even make an effort. If they only have the Empire and their own lands though, you probably have enough.

2) Yes. Go for the highest level of archer that you possibly can for sieges. More detail up there ^

3) No. If I remember correctly, the Swordsman has a shield, whilst the Man at Arms does not.

4) Never heard of one, but it wouldn't be too hard to find them out for yourself. Just upgrade one troop, then get rid of it once you know the price for its upkeep.

Barbarius said:
Raviollius said:
Leonion said:
3) Replace 2 with 0.

400 x Pendor Swordsman
    900 x Pendor Recruit
  1500 Units

I wouldn't put swordsmen up against D'Shar Bladesmen. You'll need man at arms or Pendor Bladesmen of your own.  Get some Halbadiers as well but be warned that the D'shar have lots of bows.

One interesting tactic I've recently discovered was when I was defending Rane. I was ding the Silvermist quest where I take a bunch of Silvermist troops out and gain renown. Well, Rane had just been sacked by Wolfbode so I rode over there and took the city for Sarleon. Before my tower was built Alexis showed up and I destroyed him and in the distance I could see the entire Ravenstern host.

Fortunately, my tower was built and they were not in range to reinforce and I took the city with ease--and was trapped.

I was so excited.

I saved the game and fought the battle several times and finally realized what I was doing wrong. My archers were getting cleared out by the rangers coming up the ramp.

What I did was I put them down on the ground behind my companions fighting at the ramp. They fired up at the soldiers coming over the wall and slaughtered them. Also, many arrows were stuck in the edge of the catwalk and I could retrieve them to fire on the enemy.

I positioned my halberdiers down the stairs to rush in later and help out if necessary.

I destroyed 1000 men with less than 100 in my party and eventually counterattacked in the field and captured them 12 lords.

That said, your wall is the best armor and clever positioning of troops can give you a great advantage.

For instance, you may wish to retreat from the wall and fight at the stairs. This allows all your archers in the castle to fire at the enemy as they walk towards and fight your men on the stairs. Some castles spawn more archers back inside the castle than up on the wall where they can hit the enemy and those archers often die quickly leaving your soldiers unsupported.

I always do that when defending.
Have about 200 Rangers of CC with 560 archery. Drop them down on the ground inside the castle,pull back infantry and let the show begin :smile:  :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom