Language

Users who are viewing this thread

What kind of Bavarian are we speaking? (Or they :wink:)

Boarisch, Bairisch?

NVM, link told me.

Wellenbrecher said:
Especially love this tweet:
https://twitter.com/asallime/status/541201830223822849

"I've been asking myself all morning how we can finally integrate the CSU (party in question - Wellen) into a modern, globalised society."

Dem quotation skills tho

jacobhinds said:
Sort of related; in a lot of Caribbean islands there are movements to eliminate the informal pidgin languages like patios and french creole in favour of strict US English. Some people even want them gone from the home and from all literature, as if using a lot of slang in conversation makes you completely illiterate (inb4).
Might've been a response to the patois wikipedia they're making.

That's pretty much with a Brazilian creole language does not exist. Only place people see it is in Candomblé rituals, standardized education has all but erased most of the actual dialects that existed over here, regional accents were maintained with a lot of struggle from a lot of people, but I bet the elites in Rio would have loved everyone to lose their accents and speak exactly like they do here. Heck, up the 18th century most people spoke either Nheengatu or Língua Geral, which are derived from tupi and not from Portuguese. Brazil had a very, very rich linguistic background and nowadays we basically have a culture of literary grammar nazis.

Jongo is a music/dance style that comes directly from the African population, so it's populated with idioms that are no longer used but resemble older language.

jacobhinds said:
When I watched that I was shocked that americans don't use that sliding vowel thing.

I'm pretty most people do some sort of sliding vowel thing, but different accents cause it to either sound differently or be less exaggerated. When I tried the examples used, I definitely noticed myself doing the "r" thing when talking quickly.

Does Russian use diacritics? If not, how is one  supposed to guess the accentuated syllable?
Also, when is the o pronunced like "o" and when is it pronunced like "a"?

As I remember (I tried to learn russian a zillion years ago), it has to do with the letter's placement in the word. For example, 'spasiba' (thank you) has the 'o' at the end, while the word for October (can't recall) starts with 'o' so it takes on that sound.

Back
Top Bottom