Language

Users who are viewing this thread

@kurczak why are you trying to argue with me on this? Like the politics, I get it, we have completely different positions. This I really don't. We aren't even disagreeing on the old English. But it comes across like you are trying to teach me how Italians understand Latin which would frankly be a little ridiculous :smile:. The Italian language itself isn't even as stable as you say, we have a bazillion of dialects most of which aren't intelligible to each other.

(Linking this mostly for the map)

7sO4j.gif

I said Latin is more intelligible to an Italian than Old English to an Englishman. Then you jumped in saying actually it's not that intelligible.

Never ever did I say or imply that Latin is easily and effortlessly, in all its breadth and depth, intelligible to an average Italian. The Lord's prayer example was valid (and cute :LOL:) because it demonstrated the comparative closeness of Latin and Italian relative to Old English and English.

My overall argument was that what exactly constitutes the death of a language and what is just a "new phase" of that language is o a large extent in the eye of the beholder and political considerations play a large role.

Thanks for the tip, I may check it out at some point. So far nothing beats '60s Winnetou "po naszymu" :grin:

I just hope they didn't overdo it, "modernizing" a quote or two to send a wink to the viewer is fine, turning scene into chain of Silesian puns is fine for five minutes YouTube videos, not a whole thing.

Got my own text back from the publisher for proofreading and I am having doubts about some formulations I used before. Anyone with a good command of english, please help :grin:

"...pursued implementation of the more general principle of equality which, the CJEU highlighted, is a general principle of EU law , that is also enshrined in the Charter..."
- should the red comma be there or not?

"the reason is that the Court also takes care to stress in its reasoning grounds for justification unrelated to..." - where should the red part go in the sentence?

"Academically, the Taricco saa was seen as an example of a succesful judicial dialogue , at least in the sense that the refererring court was succesfull..." - should the red comma be there or not?

"It is true that the system of the Treaties contains not only principles driving the integration , but also principles that were included..." - should the red comma be there or not?

Let me have a go, but others here are more qualified :smile:

No, the comma before "that" is only if what comes after is some sort of added/parenthetical information.

"the reason is that the Court in its reasoning also takes care to stress grounds for justification unrelated to..."

Yes

You write successful in two different, wrong ways. It's successful (two S'es and not two L's )
Also, referring.

No. I don't think they're two independent clauses.

In English, when in doubt, don't use a comma.

Got my own text back from the publisher for proofreading and I am having doubts about some formulations I used before. Anyone with a good command of english, please help :grin:

"...pursued implementation of the more general principle of equality which, the CJEU highlighted, is a general principle of EU law , that is also enshrined in the Charter..." - should the red comma be there or not?

"the reason is that the Court also takes care to stress in its reasoning grounds for justification unrelated to..." - where should the red part go in the sentence?

"Academically, the Taricco saa was seen as an example of a succesful judicial dialogue , at least in the sense that the refererring court was succesfull..." - should the red comma be there or not?

"It is true that the system of the Treaties contains not only principles driving the integration , but also principles that were included..." - should the red comma be there or not?
1. No
2. Could be where positioned. However, I dislike the clash between reason and reasoning. I'd go much shorter:
"because the Court's reasoning stresses grounds for justification unrelated to..."
3. I'd delete the comma and at least.
4. I wouldn't insert a comma before but. However, it's very American to do so.

I so dislike this awkward, pompous legalese - I think you need more concise and elegant phrasing in your life, if you don't want to alienate your readers who are presumably not reading machines.
"because the Court emphasizes [in its reasoning] grounds for justification unrealted to several Danish kings"

"The Taricco 500 was seen as an example of successful judicial dialogue by academics, as/because the referring court was successfulllll1ll"
"The Treaties contain integration principles as well as principles that were included for ****s and giggles."

Back
Top Bottom